joker
Years ago

Worthington - will he be reported?

Just finished watching the last final game again with the boys.Pretty boring game but glad for the Tigers and D Mac.However surely THE elbow thrown by Worthington has got to be on report was claerly intentional what do you think?

Topic #15102 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

Has to be reported.

Reply #178340 | Report this post

Pulteney 27  
Years ago

Got to be reported.

Reply #178345 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

It has to be reported

Reply #178347 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Repeat offense for the same thing in the finals - he should miss the first four games next year (after he has served his one game suspended sentence).

Reply #178348 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Doubt he'll be in the league next season.

Reply #178349 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Europe Isaac?

Reply #178351 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

He should have been ejected!

Reply #178355 | Report this post

ern  
Years ago

maybe refs should be reported too. foul gets called on anstey and no elbow gets thrown. why did anstey finish games with 5 fouls (was he fouled out once?)too much is not being called by officals, not just fouls.......lack of travelling violations is unbelievable. it is a joke

Reply #178356 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

agreed it was totally ridiculous, if it was the NBA he would have been tossed and gotten games.

If the dick does go to Euro and eventually comes back the team that signs him may well be without him for a few games as he will automatically get one due to the one suspended from when he decked Redhage

serioulsly the guy needs a visit from TR's special squad and punishment by non Boomer selection.

maybe then he will work out that elbowing 2 guys in the head in succcesive series is not a good idea.

It could have been much worse for Anstey.

The guy has braces on and we all remember what happened to Nashy and the timid player he became after his training injury.

Reply #178357 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

If he's not in the league next season then he should be fined - there has to be a punishment for those sort of actions.

Reply #178359 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Agreed.....he should get 2 atleast, possibly 3

Throwing elbows in back to back series

And targetting the best player of each squad may i add

Reply #178360 | Report this post

SuckedInSydney  
Years ago

I hate Sydney as much as the next guy, but does the elbow really warrant a suspension?

The ref should be suspended for not seeing the bleeding obvious right in front of him. If those guys are the country's top umpires, our sport is in serious trouble.

Props to Anstey. He could have quite easily lost his cool after that errant elbow. But he kept his head, while Worthington continued to act like an ass.

Reply #178366 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

guys - didn't get to see the game - can someone put up some footage of the incidence - would love to see it. thanks

Reply #178371 | Report this post

Giraffe 80  
Years ago

Wasn't too much in it. Wortho and Anstey were banging bodies in the post, Wortho planted and spun high, leading with a raised arm (elbow) which collected Anstey's lip.

I got a giggle from it as i teach my kids to do the same.

Reply #178376 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

I disagree with that description, the way I saw it was: they got tangled up in the post, Worthington got annoyed and elbowed Anstey in the face intentionally.

Reply #178385 | Report this post

Giraffe 80  
Years ago

ok, maybe i saw a different clip then the one other's are talking about.

Reply #178389 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Giraffe80.

If you actually saw the incident, and when it was replayed, the expression on Worthington's face indicated that he was 'pissed-off' and just let Anstey have it in the mouth (which apparently required stitches after the game.

If the statement you made ("I got a giggle from it as I teach my kids to do the same.") is correct then you are either a wanker parent or wanker coach or possibly both. BA and every state basketball asociation is trying to teach junior players some sort of control. If you teach players this as a coach then IMO you are not a coaches **rs* hole.

I agree with other people that the referees should have dealt with the matter at the time. IMO the referee crew on the final game was very average (Giersch went missing) and that Worthington should have at least had an unsportsmanlike foul called or possibly a disqualifying foul and ejected and reported. I found it interesting that neither Scott Butler or Bill Mildenhall were appointed to the game, everyone except possibly the Referees Supervisor (Pat Tilden) could see that the game would be volatile and needed strong officials to control it.

If that type of incident had happened in the NBA, Worhtington would be AUTOMATICALLY ejected, suspended for a certain number of games and fined. The NBL does not encourage their officials to do this, and when players ARE reported they receive petty punishments or meager fines. Sure, the money in the NBL is not the same as the NBA, but, the players and indeed coaches need to be held responsible for poor behaviour. The NBA SUPPORTS it referees and backs their decisions.

It is interesting to note also that if you watch an NBA game on TV that the commentators very rarely pass judgement on referees decisions unlike Steve Carfino on Fox. His comments and lack of rule knowledge do nothing to enhance the game or respect for officials. He could take some lessons from watching the NBA games, but then again it probably wouldn't make any difference to "Mr Magic" the "NBL Hale of Famer" (and yes he was a great player but do we have to be reminded of this all the time by his co-commentator).

I'm sure that I'll be howled down for my comments but I've been involved with the NBL in various capacities since it started and I believe the standard of behaviour, professionalism and television coverage has gone downhill!

Reply #178406 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Well said anon12

Reply #178485 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

XY, "he should miss the first four games next year". Which club should be penalised for this if Worthington does not stay with the Kings? He should be given a monetary fine so he suffers the consequences alone and the matter is dealt with immediately rather than carry it through to the next season.

Reply #178549 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

EC, which ever team signs him obviously. Do you reward bad behaviour just because someone changes clubs? If he signs for $20k less because he misses the first 5 games of next season, maybe he will stop playing like a petulant little girl.

Reply #178559 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Wortho cited

http://nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=74644

for the record i do believe an unsportsman like was called as Anstey did shoot free throws with no line up directly after the call was made, it was a bit confusing as the Fox crew where so fixated with trying to hold Gaze in his seat to stop him running on the floor to deck Worthless at the same time

Reply #178583 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

Wortho is a wanker. I think his main problem is his ever expanding ego. He should have been ejected on the spot.

The standard of the ref's is abysmal to say the least.
It's about two levels below the NBL player's level. Just saw some College ball and the difference to our refs is glaring. They have big bodies in a do or die game, yet manage to call the travels, 3 seconds, ball palming, and fouls without upsetting the rythm of the game.

Our recent tendancy of allowing more physicallity especially in finals is to blame. Interestingly it appeared to work against Sydney in the grand final series, you don't got to be dead to be stiff!

Reply #178667 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:25 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754