Anonymous
Years ago

Sixers Development Spots

It's time to give a few exciting local boys a go. Would be great to see Marcus Ng given a chance, he was in the Sixers side briefly in 06/07 and would be great to see him back. Don't think he ever got on the court for the Sixers. I'm really not that convinced that Dodman can cut it at this level. Has played great defense has seems to have zero confidence on the offensive end. Continuously makes silly mistakes. Also, I know Matt Sutton isn't a development player anymore but does anyone know if he's still in contract. If not you'd think his spot would be jeopardy. Burdon has been very good in brief stints and he deserves to keep his spot. Thoughts?

Topic #15108 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

It's time to give a few exciting local boys a go.
When have they not done that in recent years? Last year, Burdon, Dodman, Breheny, Lalic, Ng, etc all training with the team or in development spots.

Reply #178401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't consider Breheny as 'exciting'

Reply #178407 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Neither, but since when do you recruit players just because they're exciting?

Reply #178409 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I think we should look at players like Molitor and maybe even Zorich. We need to look at what positions we struggle in, and to be honest we have lacked a little bit in the 3 spot since Oscar and Jacob moved on. I think Molitor fits the bill. Has the size and the athleticism, and is really starting to sharpen his game from beyond the arc.
Zorich for me has always been a consistant player. Can penetrate the keyway, is a great player and has plenty of speed. He's a smart player who reads the play well and although it would be great if he were a couple inches taller, he should be given the opportunity. Think about it people, we have Davidson and Maher as our point guards, both of which wouldn't be that far off retirement. Mahersey is likely to finish up at the end of next season, so develop a player to back up Davidson.
I'd also like to see perhaps Reardon take Sutton's spot. Has proved he can make the NBL and i'm sure will show everyone this year that he rates higher than a lot of current Sixer squad members.

Reply #178412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I mean exciting as in "they have awesome potential" and are there for an exciting prospect. I didn't mean guys who are athletic and can dunk.

Reply #178415 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Well, Burdon and Dodman are hardly miles off the pace for the best available at the moment. As Panther has said, Zorich and Molitor are probably the next best candidates for development spots but it'd be a fairly brief list after that if you're only looking at locals.

Reply #178418 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

We once had an exciting player back in state league, NSW. He was like a bullterrier chasing a nerf ball. Exciting to watch but just couldn't cut it when it came to skills........

Reply #178424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont forget the Spud.

Back to back Brett Maher Medallist...

Reply #178428 | Report this post

zoomzoom  
Years ago

I think its a little weird that Zorich is so heavily considered when he simply can not shoot.

Last year stats
FG %: 44
3PT% 18
FT% 48

And also, the guy will be 24 BEFORE the season starts, isn't that a little old to be considered a development player?

Reply #178432 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"I'm really not that convinced that Dodman can cut it at this level. Has played great defense has seems to have zero confidence on the offensive end. Continuously makes silly mistakes."

Did you actually watch the last third of the season when he actually got court time and made the most of it!?

Reply #178434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Did you actually watch the last third of the season when he actually got court time and made the most of it!?"

Yes, I did watch the last third of the season when he got some minutes, played terrific defense on several big name players but missed lots of gimme lay-ups which were spoon fed to him by guards, went for jump hooks when he could have dunked it or layed it in and looked really short of confidence on the offensive end.

I'm NOT saying that Dodman is a bad player, I'm just saying I'm unsure whether he should be in the NBL at this stage or not.

Reply #178439 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I never mentioned his shooting attributes because I know he struggles in that category...but damn I didn't know he sucked that much! Lol....
Ok, so based on last years ABL season, how do we fit Todd Matthews in the team???

Reply #178440 | Report this post

Stewie  
Years ago

Looks like Zorich has made improvements in his shot. Read this on the North site about a month ago 6 of 7 isnt bad from the 3.

He is a much better prospect than Mathews at the next level for just sheer size and athleticism. This is why Spud will never get a shot.

Also Zorich from memory almost averaged a triple double last season. I could be wrong on this though

Reply #178443 | Report this post

Stewie  
Years ago

Reply #178445 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'm not a fan of Dodman and would prefer to not see him in the team. He frustrates me and my Mrs.

I did watch the 3rd of his season as quoted above. Yes he played some good defence and had plenty of energy.

But his offensive game is terrible. He received spoon-feed passes which he should have dunked etc. But he turned them over and wasted all the opportunties. This frustrated me every time.

I am all for bring back Marcus Ng though. I want to see his slash and fancy game. Bring on Marcus.

Reply #178449 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

I say persist with Dodman. Theres no substitute for a guy that can play D on big players. He hasnt got this far in basketball without being able to make layups or dunk the ball so once he gets a bit of confidence he'll put them away.

I would however also like to see marcus given a run.

Reply #178462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he got this far because he is big and was able to out rebound smaller players in juniors to put his missed shots back in. he isn't agressive enough in the post when he has the ball, until he has some balls he shouldn't get to suit up anymore for the 6ers. has anyone ever seen him go strong to the basket in the post and throw it down on someone or even try? i don't think anyone has.
marcus should get a shot though, has demonstrated he has the ability and athleticism to play in the nbl, give him a decent shot this year and i am sure he will go above and beyond peoples expectations.

Reply #178499 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Bring on Marcus Ng for sure. He deserves a chance to show his worth. He'll show people he is with it. I have complete faith in him.

Reply #178520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

doesnt matter that spud is short he is the fastest guy ever he would do well at NBL the guy has to be taller than justin brown and he was a good import spud could easy be a davo type player if not end up far better u dont win back to back Brett Maher medals for no reason

Reply #178523 | Report this post

Tommy  
Years ago

#$%* ALL THE ADELAIDE DEVELOPMENT PLAYERS

TIGERS HAVE
ADRIEN STURT- UNDER 21 AUSTRALIAN TEAM
MATT OHEA- MVP OF THE ABA/OFF SEASON NBL
DERRICK MCDONALD- MAJOR HOPS AND SON OF D-MAC

(Mod: If you are not going to play nice we will be forced to ban you! Oh, and by the way STOP SHOUTING!)

Reply #178528 | Report this post

Fox 89  
Years ago

Tommy, your boy Derreck got cut from Pioneers SEABL team!

Reply #178531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not to mention son of D Mac is now playing for the Seahawks in Warnambool and not even close to turning heads!
Dunks doesn't equal Game, nor does having a Father who obviously has heaps!

Reply #178535 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:28 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754