Tommy
Years ago

Is Al Westover the best ever NBL coach?

Is al westover the best coach in the nbl?

he took on the melbourne tigers after the best player ever to play in the nbl (andrew gaze) left the team and the best import (lanard Copeland) moved and mark bradtke aguablly the best centre in the league moved teams to, and the former coach of the year and the boomers coach (lindsey gaze) left too.

in 3 years westover has acheived just as much as lindsey did in more then 15 years

give me your thoughts

Topic #15114 | Report this topic

P.Mills  
Years ago

Whoa! Chill out Tommy. Saying that Al is just a good a coach as Lindsay is a big statement. Al has been good, but to compare him with Lindsay is a little overboard.

Reply #178501 | Report this post

Tommy  
Years ago

how do u measure how good a coach is????

by championships!!!!!!
al has won just as many as lindsey but he has done it in a shorter period of time

Reply #178509 | Report this post

Surmdog  
Years ago

Tommy,
Al westover was an assistant coach under Lindsay Gaze for years in hand showing him the ropes.
yes hes won 2 rings in 3 years but lindsay built the club from the foundation up over a 20 year span.
saying Al would have alot of respect for Lindsay for getting him to where he is today.

Reply #178511 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

P. Mills, are you saying that no-one could be better than L Gaze? Records are made to be broken, and it's difficult to argue with Al's job so far.

Reply #178513 | Report this post

Tommy  
Years ago

lindsey didnt bring the tigers up from the bottom, al westover wasnt following lindsey in coaching, coz he got a whole new team and wen lindsey was coaching it was all about andrew, he had the best player in the nbl and he could only win 2 championships!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #178525 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

A certain someone who can't be named has won 3 titles as a coach, two in his two first years. Is he the greatest coach ever?

Reply #178529 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Should be 'two in his FIRST two years'.

Reply #178530 | Report this post

Tommy  
Years ago

yeh but his team had alot more talent then the tigers originally did

Reply #178533 | Report this post

billups 1  
Years ago

ahahah u crack me up kido, and ur saying the tigers didnt have much talent when they won in 2006? lol ur funny tommy

Reply #178537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lindsey is the most over rated person in basketball. Should have retired 5 years earlier. His trainings were a joke and basically did nothing on game day!

Andrew ran the team. He too should have retired a couple of seasins earkier as he could barely run.

The fact that the tigers started winning as soon as these two left was no coincidence at all. And thats pretty obvious!

Reply #178538 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

by you're same thinking, Voldy was an even BETTER coach, having won three in his first five years ... hmm, seems you're logic is a little flawed ...

Reply #178540 | Report this post

Hithere!  
Years ago

This thread is a joke right? Repeat yourself AL the best coach ever???? that's hilarious.

The only thing that Al has done that has won him championships is convince Anstey to come back to Australia.

In my mind Al is actually a poor excuse of a coach.

Reply #178554 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Basketball Australia would argue that Boy Goorj is the best ever NBL coach otherwise why else would he be coaching the (Sydney, oops) Boomers.

Reply #178561 | Report this post

Al is better  
Years ago

May I settle this argument....

In 1989 Al Westover was coach of the Ballarat Miners in the SEABL. The Miners also played in the Victorian Basketball Association(VBA) which was the best league outside of the NBL, it consisted of 15 SEABL teams and 5 NBL teams and 3 VBA teams. All teams had two imports.

The Ballarat Miners defeated Geelong in the VBA semi finals easily. Geelong had Heal, Rowe, Bateman etc etc the full outfit.

The Ballarat Miners were to play the Melbourne Tigers in the grand final at the Tigers home court, Albert Park. The Tigers at the time were on top of the NBL ladder. They played their full NBL outfit, Gaze, Purchase, Colbert, Giddey, Gordon, Simmons.

The SEABL Ballarat Miners beat the NBL Melbourne Tigers by six.

If there was ever a Hoosiers game in Australia this was it. The Miners were expected to lose by 40.

The Miners went on to win the SEABL title that year as well.

Who is better out of Lindsay & Al.
I would give it to Al on 1989 VBA final alone.

Lindsay played the shuffle offense for 20 years with Australia's best ever player for really not much return. Take Andrew out of their team and they wouldn't be much chop.

Reply #178585 | Report this post

Al is better  
Years ago

Al took over the Ballarat Miners job from Brian Goorjan. The Miners were both their first ever coaching gig(as was Brendan Joyce).
Brian got Al the job in Ballarat.

Brian is the benchmark in Australia. Al is good but he's not on Brians level yet.

Reply #178586 | Report this post

ando  
Years ago

Al is good, but Goorjan is the best coach... just ask him

Reply #178606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no, dont be stupid!

Reply #178610 | Report this post

Dirty Day  
Years ago

Despite not liking Goorjan, nothing he has done this year has convinced me that he isn't the best coach in the NBL. To take that Kings roster, which is nothing special, and take it to the top of the ladder and one win away from a title is amazing in itself. Not to mention his previous success. The guy is an ass, but he sure can coach.

Reply #178642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think we are all missing an important point here, if you want to coach in the NBL, you better start applying for the Ballarat gig!!!!

Reply #178648 | Report this post

drB  
Years ago

westover is a decent coach however the team that he has provided and the money backing him from seamus creates major doubt for me to say he is in the top 3 best coaches currently in the nbl let alone the whole history.

best coaches in the nbl currently are goorj, joyce, gleeson..from the season that just went.

In history, i would say goorj,gaze, joyce and kerle.

Reply #178653 | Report this post

joker  
Years ago

Give me a break best coaches ever Joyce he has 1 championship yep thats right 1.He is not in the best coaches in the history of the league.Has been in the league for over 10 seasons for 1 championship sorry that does not cut it unless you think Terry Wallace is one of the greatest AFL coaches ever.Similar salesmen though excellent self promoters.

Reply #178687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cant go on just championships when some teams are spending more than other clubs.

Reply #178690 | Report this post

Tommy  
Years ago

thats why they have a salry cap so that all the teams spend the same amount?

wot has lindsey gaze done in the nbl??????
he had the bst players in the nbl and he could only get 2 championships
wot makes you guyz think that lindsey is so good

let me re rite the question: "IS AL WESTOVER THE SECOND BEST COACH EVA BEHIND GOORJGIAN"

GLEESON ISNT SMART OR SENSIBLE
AND JOYCE????????THATS A JOKE

Reply #178713 | Report this post

Pasadena 14  
Years ago

wot has lindsey gaze done in the nbl??????
he had the bst players in the nbl and he could only get 2 championships
wot makes you guyz think that lindsey is so good

You're right, A.Gaze was the best player this country has produced (feel free to start another thread if anyone disagrees), so let me ask you all this:

Can you list every single coach A.Gaze had from Juniors through NBL and Boomers?

I can, and it makes it quite obvious how good L.Gaze was.

Reply #178729 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

thats why they have a salry cap so that all the teams spend the same amount?

TOMMY, IT SHOULD READ 'SO THAT ALL TEAMS CAN SPEND THE SAME AMOUNT.

BECAUSE IF ADELAIDE LAST YEAR SPENT THE SAME AMOUNT ON THEIR PLAYING LIST AS SYDNEY, BRISBANE OR MELBOURNE
THEY GO SCREWED.

Reply #178739 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Voldemort??? :)

Reply #178798 | Report this post

Tommy  
Years ago

i dont get it are you tryin to say that adelaide are good or bad?

Reply #178822 | Report this post

c ake  
Years ago

Reply #269606 | Report this post

c ake  
Years ago

yes!best coach.been a fan since his high school day

Reply #269607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ken Cole??

Reply #269615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey, I think that Al is better. Lindsay was good but Al won 4 championships and 2 as head coach. I typed this in 2020 and Al is doing pretty well :) Let's not judge guys.

Reply #809816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would like it if someone replied bc after the last person, u know the one that says Anonymus, it said Ken Cole?btw. pls replie to my 2020 comment pls thank you.

Reply #809817 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I'm curious, is it the same stoners resurrecting their own old threads?
Or have we been hit with a new bunch?

Reply #809839 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:44 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754