Its not right
Years ago

Shame on us all - Anzac Day games

I can not believe games are to be held on our most important day, that being ANZAC DAY...surely this day is a no go zone...most if not all codes respect this day and so we should. Lets not forget for one minute why we are having the day off. Thousands upon thousands of people died for us and here we are playing basketball...shame on the basketball gods....How often will Anzac day fall on a Friday? Leave it alone and lets remember we are all here because of what they gave....I don't know about of lot of you but it is a time of remembering our fathers who died NOT BLOODY BASKETBALL.....shame....this is really un-australian....we have to continue the spirit or it will be lost...playing basketball heads in that direction.

Topic #15117 | Report this topic

billo  
Years ago

"most if not all codes respect this day and so we should"

Anzac day is pretty much the biggest day on the AFL calendar besides Grand Final weekend, what are you talking about?

Reply #178542 | Report this post

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

i agree and disagree

yes i love anzac day i respect them for what theyve done... but what about if we had a minute silence before each game as a sign of respect for the anzacs?

Reply #178543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As long as no games are during the official ANZAC marches and memorials, most diggers would support sport in the afternoons / evenings.

Reply #178545 | Report this post

ricey  
Years ago

mate, if anything ANZAC day is a day for some good sports to be played. Ask any ANZAC, and they will agree, its something they would be proud to say they fought to be able to secure, the future of Australians to play sport. Unless you are an ANZAC then shut up and don't complain, you don't have the right to.

Reply #178546 | Report this post

ex-digger  
Years ago

Regardless of the rank they held while they served, pay the highest amount of respect to all veterans. If you see anyone doing otherwise, quietly pull them aside and explain how these Veterans fought for the
very freedom they bask in every second. Enlighten them on the many sacrifices these Veterans made to make this Nation great. Then hold them down
while a Disabled Veteran kicks their arse.

Last but not least, whether or not you become a member of the military, support our troops and their families. Every barbie and religious holiday that you enjoy with family and friends, please remember that there are literally thousands of sailors and troops far from home wishing they could be with their families. Thank God for our military and the sacrifices they make every day. Without them, our country would get its arse kicked.

- It is the military, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
- It is the military, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
- It is the military, not the campus organiser, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
- It is the military who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

These are parts of an email I received from a mate who I was in the army with. Take the kids to the dawn service, take them to the parade, then let the kids play. Hopefully they play with the spirit of the ANZAC.

Reply #178547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What games??

Reply #178548 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Well put, ex-digger.

Reply #178550 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Also, I don't remember having to miss a 'Dawn Service' because I had to play Basketball.

Reply #178552 | Report this post

Respect  
Years ago

Respect the day and realise the sacrifices that were made so kids can play.

As long as the familys recognise & respect why they have the day off, why shouldnt they play.

Reply #178553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What games are you talking about??

As far as I can tell there are no Junior games scheduled for ANZAC Day.

Reply #178557 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

As an ex member of the Australian Army I have nothing but respect for the men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice and gave their lives for this country. The majority of events (for want of a better word) are conducted in the morning on Anzac Day and then all the ex-diggers and their friends and relatives move off to various venues to reminisce and celebrate.
I am not offended that sporting events are conducted in the afternonn or evening on Anzac Day.
The AFL game is proceeded by a minutes silence in remembrance and I think that this should occur at ALL sporting events on this day no matter what code it is.

'Is Not Right' - I think you have missed the point about Anzac Day and that your 'rant' against basketball was uncalled for.

As they say "LEST WE FORGET".

Reply #178568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what do you think about Essendon and Collinwood being the only 2 clubs that get to play in the Anzac Day Clash? Doesn't seem fair. Also only these players get a chance to win an "anzac day medal"

Reply #178576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every AFL game over that weekend is preceded by a minute of silence before the start of the game not just the one held on Anzac.

In 2004 Anzac day fell on a Sunday and 3 matches were played that day, but its now become a tradition between those 2 teams to play on that day. And there are other tradition games during the year which people don't seem to want to change such as Melbourne-Collingwood on Queen's Birthday and the Essendon-Richmond Dreamtime game. The reason those 2 play in it is probably because when it was 1st played in 1995 they had the biggest membership bases, the AFL thought they could get a bigger crowd using those 2 teams and at the time AFL wasn't as big interstate as it is now.

The NRL also has an Anzac clash between St George Illawarra Dragons and the Sydney Roosters.

I don't have a problem with sporting games being played on Anzac day - they are held after the dawn service and the march, they invite a digger to toss the coin at the start of the match and there is a lot of respect shown in the way the matches are handled.

Reply #178582 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

Go away you crackpot!

Everyone respects the Anzacs.

Reply #178588 | Report this post

just_the_facts  
Years ago

"It is the military who serves beneath the Flag"
Boer War - Union Jack
World War 1 - Union Jack
World War 2 - Army Red Ensign
Korea - League of Nations
Vietnam - UN
First Gulf War - UN
East Timor - UN

All respect to the diggers, but lets get the facts right.

Reply #178590 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Pay the respects in the morning.

Allow sports to be played after 12:30pm.

I have no dramas with it.

Reply #178620 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"It is the military who serves beneath the Flag"
Boer War - Union Jack
World War 1 - Union Jack
World War 2 - Army Red Ensign
Korea - League of Nations
Vietnam - UN
First Gulf War - UN
East Timor - UN

All respect to the diggers, but lets get the facts right.

Sorry, did see ex-Digger write "Australian" flag????

I think the point was the symbolism of the flag and the unity of those that fight for it, whether from the same country or not.

PS....I think Flag Burning should be illegal and seriously dealt with. It's one right that should be revoked.

Reply #178628 | Report this post

Babyballer  
Years ago

All respect most certainly to the Anzacs.....and true if it weren't for them we wouldn't be here.........BUT i know for sure if it wasn't for Good Friday and Easter Monday........well now lets talk about sacrifice!!!

Reply #178637 | Report this post

i dislike flags  
Years ago

Any reason why there are so few junior games on Anzac day? (only U16div 2, U18div 2,3,4, U20div 3...)

Reply #178638 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Is it not illegal already DICKO?

Reply #178639 | Report this post

ricey  
Years ago

babyballer don't bring in some religious stuff into this which has no comparison.

Reply #178640 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If it wasn't for the Friday and Monday, we wouldn't have a long weekend! All praise the chocolate.

Reply #178641 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Jesus was teh coolest EVA!!!!

He is born = we get presents.

He dies = we get choccies.

Reply #178643 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Isnt the right to protest and if neccessary burn flags exactly what these heroes fought for.

the right to oppose incurs some issues when people oppose what we believe.

But as has been said before...

"I may not agree with what he says, but i will fight to the death to protect his right to say it"

lest we forget

Reply #178647 | Report this post

ricey  
Years ago

they didn't fight so that people had the freedom to burn a flag, say that to any old digger and I bet you will have a saw jaw.
Dicko your right, Jesus was the best ever, maybe I should make my own bible and make up some new things so we can get some more stuff.

Reply #178691 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Yes, it is illegal to burn the National flag.

Reply #178706 | Report this post

anony  
Years ago

we can play because of the ANZACS lest we forget -bet they bloody prefered basketball to war - Never forget minute silence prior to each game fantastic

Reply #178714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1 min silence is not too hard to do and is the least that should be done. Personally, from a military background i can say that each digger that went to war went with pride. Pride for their country and their people.

"Just the facts", who cares which flag they fought under, they were and are Australian. They have the Australian shield on their slouch hat. They fly planes that are in service to the Australian air force, and command ships and subs of the Australian navy. They go where others fear to set foot. and those who never make it back do so with the great southern land in their hearts and if you deny that then I suggest you talk to an digger and see what he says.

Let the kids play as long as they understand what happened and how the ANZAC spirit is in us all.

(Mod: Well put.)

Reply #178730 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I honestly look back at what has been done in the ANZAC name and can't understand how you don't get choked up.

In WWI, these guys went to another country, on the other side of the world, to be used as Cannon fodder for a bunch of Rich Arsed Generals sitting on their arses. These guys made moves based on reports bought to them by messengers who took anything up to 4 hours to get to them because they were SO far from the front.

They did it :-

- With a godamn smile on their face

- With absolute conviction that they were doing what was right.

- Better than anyone. It was common knowledge that, if you wanted to achieve the impossible objective, you sent the ANZACS in.

The heroics shown by people from MY country make me proud as hell to be Australian. Put yourself in that position....Think about it....Just for a moment. I can't imagine myself having the guts to go "over the top" to almost certain death.

Truly amazing men.

On the topic though, playing sport on ANZAC day should not be (and probably isn't) offensive to any digger. Being FREE to do things like that is the whole reason they fought.

Reply #178740 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Two songs that make the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

Redgum's Only 19

The Furey's version of Eric Bogle's Green Fields of France.

The Cobbers (remember them?) also did a ripper version of Green Fields.

Play the second one on ANZAC day....THAT'll get you thinking (Although technically not ANZAC related).

Reply #178746 | Report this post

ricey  
Years ago

it's just a shame that alot of the guy died because they didn't have a choice if they went in they served or not

Reply #178774 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

well put DICKO...

can i recomend everybody watch...

(not the crappy movie version)

Gallipoli, the film was released about 2 years ago.

Impossible as it may be..it gives you some insight to the horrors these heroes faced.

ricey..they fought for "freedom" that includes the freedom to disagree and to protest.

Stop people from burning flags...stop them from marching in the streets, stop them from expressing a different opinion.

do that...and then those live were lost in vain, and right now be thankful you dont live in Nepal.

Reply #178780 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

or Burma

Reply #178781 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

"Stop people from burning flags""do that...and then those live were lost in vain"

Pretty sure Diggers would NOT have fought for that right, especially as that is the flag they were fighting for/under.

Reply #178789 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

no one fights "for" a flag...ask those that have fought, they fight for their families..for freedom..for a way of life..mostly for what is right.

The flag is just a marketing tool.

Reply #178791 | Report this post

ricey  
Years ago

my dad is actually a Vietnam vet, and other members of family have been involved in most of the other wars Australia has participated in. So to say that they fought for the flag is a bunch of rubbish, and not to mention saying for the freedom to do crap like burning flags as well is the dumbest thing i think i have ever seen here, why don't you spend ANZAC day in an actual RSL and then come speak to me about something like that, in fact mention the burning the flag thing to any vet and promise that you will not leave that RSL on your own 2 feet.
Although you are right about the flag being a marketing tool, it is also a symbol of home which is why it is so well protected in the time of war in other countries, allow that flag to touch the floor and you won't ever be considered a man by any digger

Reply #178841 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Dicko

or Iraq, Afghanistan, Israel, Lebanon, Egypt and even East Timor.

Reply #178887 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

I have been to the dawn service, the March and spent time every ANZAC day at an RSL for the past 15 years. (not to mention other times during the year i dont just respect these people once a year)

I have relatives who fought (died and were injured)in a number of conflicts throughout the world and over a long period of time.

Often there have been disagreements and robust debate but, ask any Veteran the simple question if they fought to protect our way of life and i have yet to have a disagreement about that. The right to protest id part of our way of life.

The biggest fight this country faces at the moment is the battle against fear and control, being waged by goverments and by easily influenced, gullible consumers of tabliod journalism.

I have never burnt a flag, i am unlikely to ever do so, however, the lives of my forefathers have ensured i have the right to do so if i feel it is neccessary. I will not bow to the loud mouthed rabble that are icapable of thinking for themselves and blindly follow this weeks "populist issue".

By the way...when the flag changes (and it will soon) what will your family have fought for?

Reply #178928 | Report this post

ricey  
Years ago

You d*ck... it has nothing to do with fighting for the flag itself, it for what it represents, which is home. And the freedom to have the right to burn a flag is some redneck s*it, so I am going to guess you live either deep south or north.

Reply #178964 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The concept of having the freedom to burn the flag is quite the opposite to "some redneck sh*t" IMO.

Reply #178971 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

"And the freedom to have the right to burn a flag is some redneck s*it"

Agreed!

You burn our flag, should be the old 50 lashes...or extradition to Cuba.

Reply #178974 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

'me', have you ever been to Nepal?

Obviously not with your statement, "right now be thankful you dont live in Nepal".

I agree with DICKO, I think you mean Burma.

Nepal might have it's problems with Maoist's in the north and Tibetan refugees, but it's a democratic/monarchy government (much like Thailand) and a great place with wonderful people! In fact, if any soldiers were more feared than the ANZACS, it was the Gurkhas. Ask a digger if they fought alongside any, you'll get some great stories.

The great Australian right and tradition to be naive about other countries and culture!

Reply #178981 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Didn't Rambo clean up Burma though? Well he did on the doco I saw the other night anyway....

Reply #178982 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

(Phizzer) Apologies ..i intended to refer to Tibet not Nepal.

(ricey) I do not live deep North or South, however the typical generalisation made by you only reinforces my opinion of you.

your statement about the flag reflecting home is EXACTLY what i have been saying all along, the flag itself is largely irrelevant.

(DB5) I assume that if burning the flag brings 50 lashes etc, then other abuses of our flag will bring similar punishment, eg...
Wearing as underwear = electrodes attached to genitals
Using as a towel = Dunking Stool
Wearing as a bikini = placed in stocks in town square
Waving whilst commiting acts of rascism = Hmm maybe thats worth punishment, in fact id rather see my flag burnt, than held and worshipped by stupid sheep like rascists.

Enjoy watching today tonight.

Reply #179017 | Report this post

ricey  
Years ago

flag burning is a way of showing a deep hate for that country and disrespect. wearing your flag is completely different, if you wear your flag your showing pride in your country. as for waving the flag during acts of 'racism' would depend on the situation, for example if some 'aussie' was to attack an asian in the name of australia and throw the flag around i would be against it, but if a bunch of 'wogs/lebs' started attacking people at the beach and then a bunch of 'aussies' took it back to them and waved the flag saying that they r australian and proud of it, and if you aint then p*ss off (am refering to sydney riots) then im all for it

Reply #179116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thats an idiotic comment ricey as a wog and a proud australian too i say that is silly

Reply #179126 | Report this post

NEC  
Years ago

Idiotic and also extremely racist. Ricey in future, please be sure your brain is engaged before you post.

Reply #179133 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

"flag burning is a way of showing a deep hate for that country and disrespect"..that may be your opinion, however it is not mine, flag burning is an opportunity to make the simpletons take notice of an issue (remember, it is nothing more than a marketing tool...a brand if you will).

"If you wear your flag your showing pride in your country" ...depends..if your a fat, drunk, beer bellied idiot with no brains and a loud mouth...no pride or respect there.

Im not even going to start on the rest of your post..i guess its better to be racist and not know..than it is to knowingly be a racist.

Reply #179148 | Report this post

ricey  
Years ago

do you even know what racist means? clearly not as I didn't make any comments to put down anyones race, maybe you should go read a dictionary

Reply #179149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Respect should be more than a word, sadly its not. Sport and the business of sport comes before all things. We can't give up one bloody day out of respect for the fallen and we pay lip service to their memory. No wonder there is a lost generation.

Reply #179151 | Report this post

NEC  
Years ago

Ricey - It's usually the racists who are too ignorant to understand that they are actually racist. Clearly this applies to you. Your comments are highly offensive AND racist. There's no debate there.

You comments are typical of the "I'm not a racist, but..." mentality.

Reply #179153 | Report this post

ricey  
Years ago

ok, clearly you have no idea of the definition of racism. i said stuff in a hypothetical sense also. not to mention, i have many friends who are greek, italian, lebonese, etc... but i clasify wogs as a type of person, not a race.

Reply #179156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

idiotic again ricey i wouldnt go saying these things around ethnic communities

Reply #179158 | Report this post

not suprised  
Years ago

ricey,

As an ethnic origin australian, I take offense at the term Wog. As such IMHO your post is racist and offensive.

Reply #179161 | Report this post

NEC  
Years ago

Ricey - with these sort of comments I'm surprised you have any friends at all.

Reply #179163 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:34 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754