Isaac
Years ago

Lightning sign Francis and Newley for 08/09

Link Lightning have signed two new players for the 2008/09 season - Cayla Francis and Mia Newley.

Find out more at the Lightning's site.

Topic #15122 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Big news...the championship team just gets stronger!

Reply #178615 | Report this post

Tangles  
Years ago

That is massive news. Well done.

Great news for the future of Lightning

Francis
Camino
Newley
Phillips
Foley
King
Marino

Reply #178625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone have the inside word on any other confirmed signing?

Reply #178627 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

It must have been tempting for a Tiser sub-editor to headline their story on this today 'Newley returns to Adelaide' or similar, just to get Sixers fans to look twice. :)

And without being bothered to search for it, have we ever covered a 'best basketball brother-sister combo' topic here?

Reply #178645 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

I don't think so but my vote is for Reggie and Cheryl Miller.

And if LeBron has a sister throw them into the mix(regardless of whether she has ever even touched a ball) just because LeBron is that good.

Locally the Bowleys would have to win the best brother-and-three-sister combo.

Reply #178657 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Great signings for the Lightning...maybe we should get Carla Boyd and Vince to run the Sixers, seems they have no problem recruiting good players especially locals!

Reply #178658 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

That's huge, plenty of clubs have been speaking with them, so great work by the Lightning to secure them!

Tara Robinson and Madison Bycroft are still playing college ball in the US, so when they return, hopefully Lightning can pick them up too!

Unrelated topic, anyone think Veal should be in the Opals squad?

Reply #178664 | Report this post

William 95  
Years ago

Both are playing low level, won't be at WNBL level when they return.

Reply #178665 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Well, see if they improve...... You never know!

Reply #178666 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

You can not be serious William?? Francis is one of the best up and coming players around and has a big future. Shows you knowledge of basketball once again. Her numbers will be great and are not to bad now in the comp. Also to all the people out there who said everyone was leaving because of the 'sacking' have now egg on their face because obviously people will play at the lightening and also once there will stay there!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great job Vince and Vicki on bringing the SA talent back home. Pity the sixers can not do the same.

Reply #178670 | Report this post

peter  
Years ago

';'

I think William was referring to Tara Robinson and Madison Bycroft

Peter

Reply #178672 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

"Shows you knowledge of basketball once again"

I believe that is William 95's first ever post!

And I tend to agree with him, they are both playing Div 2 college.

But ';', you did get one thing right, Francis is a great player, as is Newley.

Reply #178674 | Report this post

William 95  
Years ago

Was refering to Bycroft and Robinson who are playing D2 or NAIA, which isn't really a tough level.

There are a number of players from D1 like Hannah Zavec from Wyoming that would be better prospects.

Reply #178681 | Report this post

mj  
Years ago

Looks like Vince is on his way to buying another Championship!

Reply #178695 | Report this post

bebe  
Years ago

yes I agree, I think Kristin Veal should be in the Opals Squad.

Reply #178697 | Report this post

mj is a knob  
Years ago

Sour grapes mj. All clubs do it and how is getting SA talent back buying a championship?

Reply #178702 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Veal should definately be in the Opals.

Reply #178710 | Report this post

mj  
Years ago

No knob. Just think the same thing happens in the NBL and it's like the English Premier League, the wealthiest teams win. There is no way any other WNBL program had the budget the Lightning did this year. It just means that not neccessarily does the best coached or best prepared team wins, which is a detriment to the sport.

Reply #178711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mj, do you think Vince makes a profit from the Lightning?

Reply #178722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon, do you think that's relevant?

Reply #178724 | Report this post

Kevin 07  
Years ago

Vince said in 3 years it would be making a profit...I think anyone involved in sports now days would have to think twice about that 3 years target.

Reply #178725 | Report this post

Flinder  
Years ago

Profit in 3 years ?
Pffft. Unlikely with the current CEO.

Reply #178726 | Report this post

Sponsor  
Years ago

I aggree, current CEO is an absolute waste of time and money. Her performance early in the season was clearly a suck up Vince`s butt, Carla looking after Carla as she has always done.
Vince should put a time clock in his office because she is hardly there.

Reply #178750 | Report this post

sorry  
Years ago

Veal should def be given an opportunity in the Opals team, she is also a SA girl, imagine if we could get her to play for Lightning. Two of the best point guards in the comp, love to see her and erin on the court together.

Reply #178761 | Report this post

hard rain  
Years ago

Tangles

Forgot one.
Duke is signed as well.
She is ready for a break-out year, with some extra minutes released by sams retirement!!

Hot team again, other teams could be diluted by logans entry, which will help.

Reply #178764 | Report this post

well?  
Years ago

mj you did not answer the question regarding how getting SA talent back is buying a championship?

Reply #178769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry !!! it would be great to see Veal and Phillips on the court together, but I think you will find that mummy Marino would have something to say about that.

Reply #178776 | Report this post

well?  
Years ago

Anon 3776 Grow up. Krsiten is going to Tasmania to study. People like you are fuckin morons.

Reply #178778 | Report this post

mj  
Years ago

well?, sorry but I don't class Whittle and Camino as SA talent!

Reply #178786 | Report this post

Grote 29  
Years ago

did you not read the title of the thread? Do you not know where those two new players are from?

Reply #178790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see the personal abuse continues unless you swallow the propoganda.

Reply #178793 | Report this post

Kevin 07  
Years ago

Good luck for the local talent on their signing to Adelaide Lightning (Mod: Deleted - irrelevant personal attack.)

Reply #178860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If whittle resigns i think its safe to say francis will easily cover any minutes freed up by sams retirement. Duke will probably just be another handy bench player this season. Its a hard job having a breakout season in such an awesom team!!

Reply #178875 | Report this post

newceoplease  
Years ago

Agreed Sponsor. Having two people running the office who have never had a proper job outside of basketball was never going to work, I would have thought any idiot could see that. Good basketballers, but bloody hopeless when it comes to running a business and keeping sponsors, fans, media and pretty much anyone who has anything to do with the team happy.
I can't understand why Vince has such a preference for employing the unemployable. One of those performing monkeys would make a better CEO, and Vince could quite literally pay peanuts ! A monkey would spend less time talking about itself as well.

Reply #178885 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What's the fuss? I've always found staff at the Lightning that I've dealt with to be pretty quick and easy to deal with.

If you have a specific complaint, write to Vince - not sure if this is the best place to air your thoughts on this, and certainly not in the way you're going about it.

Reply #178888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All harsh comments perhaps Isaac, but not without reason or substance.

Reply #178890 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Look, I can appreciate that often where there is smoke, there is fire, but if you have to complain publically, there's a better way to do it than call someone "useless" and "unemployable" and contrast someone to a monkey (think about the monkeys!).

e.g., "I'm not convinced that the current PositionName has enough experience for the job."

That might be a little bland and PC, but it gets the point across, it's less antagonistic and it's also likely to present fewer legal issues for the author and the publisher.

Again, FWIW as I can only speak for myself, at the Lightning, I've dealt with Boyd, Woosnam, and Graetz this past season and have had no issues with any of them - they've been good to work with. Mike Daws had his share of critics as well but I always found him proactive, passionate, etc - used to badger me senseless trying to get me out to the games!

Basketball jobs would have to be tough. Bring in a pro with little basketball experience and they can lack the knowledge or passion. Bring in someone who knows the sport and they might not have as much experience. Combine those things with what I'd guess to be average/low wages and you're probably looking at a limited talent pool?

Reply #178892 | Report this post

busty stclair  
Years ago

newceoplease and Sponsor u r both wankers to think that Carla is nothing but professional. She puts the teams very close to first in her life. The amount of time she puts into the team and running of the Lightning is second to none.
I would challenge you to find a person that is more committed to the team than her.

And to call her unemployable I think your just jealous that she has a job in Basketball and your still sitting in ur mum's basement playing warcraft with ur losser mates next door.

Reply #179054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thanks for that Carla's Mum.
Perhaps your idea of professional differs from most others. Working just four hours a day and having your screaming unsupervised child running around annoying everyone trying to work is not real professional.

Reply #179100 | Report this post

Mel Gibson  
Years ago

Sounds like its a personal issue, Anon. This is def not the forum for it. Write a formal letter outlining your concerns to her boss.

Reply #179102 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:38 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754