Trawler
Years ago

QLD government 'balks' at Bullets lifeline

First off, who uses the word 'balks'? Surely there were better suggestions in Synonyms than balks.

Anyway, interesting story on FoxSports.com.au in regards to the bullets woes.

What got my attention was Claxton saying this:

Claxton claimed the Gold Coast had a successful debut season in 2007-08 because they purposely avoided copying the Kings' business model.

but then went on to say ...

Sydney over the last few years have concentrated heavily on paying their players and winning championships but that is not necessarily the most successful business model

Well then, what is?

Topic #15125 | Report this topic

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Paying players and winning Championships?

I have an idea, don't pay players and see if this wins Championships......

Reply #178736 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He's suggesting that spending up (to the detriment of the financial health of the franchise) to achieve a championship quickly is less sensible than gradually working towards one.

Which is fair enough.

However, in the last few years, besides Saville (and maybe Hinder), the Kings have gradually worked towards one. They have role-playing imports. They have a number of significant contributors that are just a few years out of college (Worthington, Kendall, Crosswhite) that were brought in as unheralded players and developed.

Meanwhile, the Blaze has a disparate grouping providing the bulk of their output - two imports, Pero from OS, Frank from the Hawks, Harvey from the Pigs, Melmeth from the Slingers (I think, can't believe I've forgotten), MacGregor from the Pigs, etc. Campbell and Demos haven't had many minutes, and Joyce isn't quite a lock to be the future of the franchise.

Reply #178742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think BUSINESS model guys. Things like increasing revenue, even making a profit. That is putting bums on seats, selling merchandise etc.

Reply #178743 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Guess it depends what you are in it for...

as a supporter my goal is winning championships.

As a club owner its profits..

now..winning a champ may assist in obtaining those profits...but, you can run a club very profitably without winning.

I would be interested to see whats at the top of the business plans of all clubs.

Reply #178779 | Report this post

Blazefan  
Years ago

Isaac while I agree with your point on the Kings gradually working towards a title with player development, comparing this with the Blaze player situation was a bit of a low blow. Bit hard to start a new team without players coming from somewhere else.

The point Claxton is trying to make (as I see it) is something that's come up many times within this site. Some teams are paying their players more than what they're worth, and/or more than what the team can afford.

If the NBL is serious about a salary cap, why doesn't it do more to enforce it. Once again going by the many blogs on this issue within this site, it would appear there have to be some clubs in breach of this.

It still escapes me why we still have salary cap issues in Australian professional sport. If it took a few auditors just one weekend to go through the books of an NRL club and declare a salary cap breach (Bulldogs, August 2002), why can't NRL, AFL and NBL adminstrators request each of their respective member clubs to undergo something similar.

Are they worried of widespread breaches or is it perhaps having to enforce the prescribed penalties.

Reply #178803 | Report this post

Flinders 54  
Years ago

More importantly, why aren't clubs doing a better job marketing?

Kings players were probably not getting involved with school clinics etc due to playing and training commitments.

Cut back trainings to the 1 or 2 days per week players can get to schools and shoping centre's to promote the team.

Reply #178807 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That's a fair point, regarding starting a new team, I'll concede that.

The NBL are at the mercy of the stronger owners (disappearing gradually though) - that's why they turn a blind eye to the cap breaches.

Reply #178808 | Report this post

duh!  
Years ago

wow- that's very disappointing anna bligh.
what was once a few days ago an attractive offer, suddenly changed.
the bullets are the only brisbane based sporting team that DOESN'T have sponsorship from qld state gov't.
very disappointing!!!!

Reply #178838 | Report this post

duh!  
Years ago

I tried to use the linky thing the other day and it didn't work for me, so apologies if this does the same.

Here is CJ's take on what's been going on if the link doesn't work:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/sport/cj-keeps-the-faith/2008/03/19/1205602424030.html

linky.com.au/f8fw4

Reply #178843 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

When you create a Linky, copy and paste the bit in the HTML box and paste that in - that will create a link.

Reply #178845 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:55 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754