ANON12
Years ago

BOOMERS SQUAD FOR BEIJING

Boomers squad: Aron Baynes, Aaron Bruce, Adam Gibson, Aleks Maric, Alex Loughton, Andrew Bogut, Andrew Ogilvy, Brad Newley, Chris Anstey, CJ Bruton, Damien Ryan, Darnell Mee, David Andersen, David Barlow, Glen Saville, Ian Crosswhite, Jacob Holmes, James Harvey, Jason Smith, Joe Ingles, Luke Kendall, Luke Schenscher, Mark Worthington, Matthew Knight, Matthew Nielsen, Nathan Jawai, Nathan Crosswell, Pat Mills, Peter Crawford, Russell Hinder, Sam Mackinnon, Shawn Redhage, Wade Halliwell.

Lot's of Kings!

Who would be your final 12?

BOGUT
OGILVY
BRUTON
ANDERSON
NEWLEY
MILLS
CRAWFORD
SAVILLE
SMITH
MCKINNON
NIELSEN
BARLOW

RESERVES:
INGLES
JAWAI
MEE
WORTHINGTON

Topic #15129 | Report this topic

Years ago

I like that list except i think Brian is likely to put in worthington over Crawford. And i think he will also try and put Mee in there somewhere

Reply #178784 | Report this post

tmagz03  
Years ago

Since when did Australia put every person in the NBL for their national team? that is like a 30 man roster.

Reply #178785 | Report this post

tmagz03  
Years ago

woops, my bad. Obviously thought they would cut that to 12 lol

Reply #178787 | Report this post

5. Bogut/Anderson
4. Nielson/Anstey
3. Redhage/Worthington
2. Newley/Smith (Ingles unlucky)
1. Bruton/Mills

Go young in this one, with a couple experienced heads.

Ingles, Maric, Jawai and McKinnon unlucky

Reply #178788 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Alex Loughton, Andrew Bogut, Andrew Ogilvy, Brad Newley, Chris Anstey, CJ Bruton, David Andersen, David Barlow,Joe Ingles, Luke Schenscher, Matthew Nielsen, Nathan Jawai, Pat Mills, Shawn Redhage

Wow when you look at that we are flushed with big man talent as a nation, when you can find a spot for a 7 footer with NBA experience that has to be a good thing.

C- Bogut with rotation from some of the 6'10 plus forwards
F- Jawai/ Ogilvy / Andersen
F- Anstey/ Nielsen / Loughton
G- Mills / Bruton
G- Ingles / Barlow / Newley

It is time to bring in the youth and build a core group for the future just like we did with Vlahov, Gaze, Heal and Bradtke

This squad could throw different matchups with every squad, half court grind or up and down games

Plus youth in the guard spots and forwards. The forwards have the potential to get exposure to the international game and play the centre role in teh future.

Anstey is the wild card and would be used to drag bigs our of the middle to let Bogut go to work or to create space for mills and newley to drive and dish.

Loughton gets the nod over Redhage due to the future flavour of the team. I wold love to see Shensh in there but not at the expense of the others listed unless Nielsen does not make it in which case he is in

Reply #178792 | Report this post

drB  
Years ago

5. Bogut/Anderson
4. Anstey/ Jawai
3. Saville/Worthington
2. Harvey/Smith
1. Bruton/Aleks Maric

I had the pleasure of attending athens, on performance Nielson was dissapointing, i have left him out of the squad for Jawai. His numbers in eurpore aint that great either.

Mills is exciting however he is just not ready as of yet.

I personally dont believe anstey should be in the team, however he is the MVP (he has to be in the team), Anstey in the past has snubbed the opportunity to represent his country,to which i think is disgraceful and therefore i wouldnt but, hey if he (anstey) wants in he will get in.

Reply #178794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith not good enough any more - hasnt been for a couple of years.

Ingles to make it instead of him, especially if Goorj coaches the Dragons next season.

Reply #178796 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

drb, Maric is a centre.

What's the point of having 31 again? Honestly, there are so many guys who just don't stand a chance, they might as well cut it down to 20 from the start and give that group a better chance of settling and gelling.

Reply #178797 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

My team:

C: Bogut, Anstey
PF: Andersen, Neilson
SF: MacKinnon, Worthington, Redhage
SG: Newley, Barlow
PG: Mills, Bruton, Mee

Reply #178799 | Report this post

Peter Maravich  
Years ago

Starter / Bench / Reserve
5: Bogut / Anderson / Schenscher
4: Neilsen / Anstey / Ogilvy / Jawai
3: Mackinnon / Smith / Worthington
2: Newley / Barlow / Ingles
1: Bruton / Mills / Kendall

Given our lack of talent in the guard spots, i reckon he'll take reserves from that grouping. Don't see Schenscher or Ogilvy going, but if there is an injury to a starter or bench, i think they'd be next in line.

Reply #178800 | Report this post

Ben Dover  
Years ago

SG: Newley, Barlow, Harvey
PG: Mills, Bruton

Bogut, Anstey, Anderson, Neilson, Mackinnon, Bruton, Newley are all certain IMO.

Worthington deserves the chance whether you like him or not.

Mills is the future and he will give us something we lack - footspeed.

Harvey has been outstanding week in week out this year and deserves to go as a reserve guard.

Redhage is too good to be replaced by Jawai, Ogilvy or Schenscher.

A very versatile team will even tuate either way.

Team for 2010 World Champs will include:

Bogut, Anderson, Ogilvy, Jawai, Neilson, Mills, Ingles, Worthington, Barlow. Still need more guards to step up.

Reply #178805 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Bogut/Anstey
Andersen/Neilsen/Jawai
Wortho//Redhage/Ingles
Smith/Newley/Barlow
Mills/Bruton

Mackinnon will prob be injured so not a certainty for Beijing

Reply #178809 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

For those people that have left Mills out of their teams, this is from the same article that announced the squad:

COACH Brian Goorjian is tipping indigenous teenager Patrick Mills to be a "very, very important" part of the Boomers' Olympic basketball campaign.

Link to full article:

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,23401612-5006371,00.html

Reply #178812 | Report this post

drB  
Years ago

ok my apols i pasted wrong name should have been adam gibson :)

Personally i dont believe redhage should be in the team or any other 'naturalised' player regardless of how good they are, especially americans. I personally would rather a young australian or older australian player get the gig than some yank.

Reply #178818 | Report this post

bolks  
Years ago

What ever you do, don't Smith in that team. He's such a tool!

Reply #178819 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

drB - don't agree with you there. What about kids born in the US, then move here when young? Where do you draw the line?

Example is Bruce Djite (Adelaide United, for those who may not know) - born in the US, now in Socceroos squad and a HUGE talent. Should he be overlooked?

Reply #178824 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

From what ive seen in college telecasts Mills and Ogilvy are not yet up to internations ball, not far off but id rather have Mee than mills, id probably rather have davidson. He didnt loose them the game but he definately didnt help st joes the other night when he had about 4 turnovers in about 3 mins to close out the game then got subbed out for the final 2. He needs more time to find his way and how to use his quickness at the right time, get more composure when under pressure, and pick the right play and set it up correctly. People are going to disagree i know but he has only played against new zealand internationally and they were not full strength. 3 or 4 years different story but now its too early.

Reply #178826 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

The squad I think he'll pick

C - Bogut/Anstey
PF - Andersen/Neilsen/Worthington
SF - McKinnon/Ingles
SG - Newley/Smith/Harvey
PG - Bruton/Mills

Reply #178828 | Report this post

Tommy  
Years ago

this should be the team

PF: Andersen, jawai
SF: neilson, Worthington, ingles

captain: Dave Barlow

reserves
Sam mackinnon
Darryle MCdonald
Steve Hoare

Reply #178832 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Tommy - you are officially an idiot - Darryl MacDonald? Steve Hoare? Barlow Captain?

Why don't you go back to Tigers training beat off.

Reply #178833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers squad: Aron Baynes, Aaron Bruce, Adam Gibson, Aleks Maric, Alex Loughton, Andrew Bogut, Andrew Ogilvy, Brad Newley, Chris Anstey, CJ Bruton, Damien Ryan, Darnell Mee, David Andersen, David Barlow, Glen Saville, Ian Crosswhite, Jacob Holmes, James Harvey, Jason Smith, Joe Ingles, Luke Kendall, Luke Schenscher, Mark Worthington, Matthew Knight, Matthew Nielsen, Nathan Jawai, Nathan Crosswell, Pat Mills, Peter Crawford, Russell Hinder, Sam Mackinnon, Shawn Redhage, Wade Halliwell.

The group I think Gorj will take -
Bruton/Mills/Kendall
Newley/Barlow
Saville/McKinnon
Neilson/Worthington
Bogut/Anstey/Anderson

The group I would take -
Bruton/Mills/Mee
Newley/Barlow
Saville/McKinnon
Neilson/Worthington
Bogut/Anstey/Anderson

The Future is bright -
Mills/Bruce/Gibson
Worthington/Kendall
Barlow/Newley/Ingles
Ogilvy/Baynes/Knight
Bogut/Jawai/Maric/Schenscher

Reply #178837 | Report this post

Tommy  
Years ago

Who Would you put captain instead of barlow?

D-mac is better then any other point guard i didnt
list

Stev hoare is the best australian 6th man the last 3 years if he played for any other nbl team he would start and be a star and if he were on the boomers he could be the one defending the other countrie big small forwards

Reply #178839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you have no idea tommy.

Reply #178840 | Report this post

BBALL  
Years ago

how in the hell does Nathan Crosswell get in there before brad davison or stephanie black

Reply #178846 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Since Adrien Sturt is the best developement player in the NBL he should be in their as well ;)

Reply #178849 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Tommy, you really need to loose this Tigers love affair you seem to have... It's making you look like a fool.

Barlow as captain... WTF.... Barlow has done jack sh*t in international ball... no wait... didn't he make a boneheaded play and screwed the pooch that cost us the critical game against Greece a few years ago at the Worlds??? He still gets the nod, but not as Captain.

D-Mac as a reserve.... please drive a 10 inch spike into your eye with enough force to pierce your brain.

Hoare will never be a star in any league. What he is the a very good glue guy, sort of Battier-like for the Rockets.

I'm getting very sick of seeing the old farts, Hinder, Smith and Saville still getting a run. Surely we have better younger players than these three stooges. I think that between CJ, Anstey, Andersen, Neilsen, Bogut have enough experience to the classed as the 'veterans' of the squad without resorting to Smith and Saville.

My team:

Mee/Bruton/Mills
Barlow/Newley
McKinnon/Worthington
Neilson/Andersen
Bogut/Anstey/Jawai

If Anstey pulls a heartledge then I'd move Andersen to the C and bring in Maric.

Internationally I don't think we can get away with Worthington at the 4. I'd start Barlow over Newley at the 2 as we'll need his length at the defensive end. I can't decided who is the starting 4 between Neilson and Andersen.

I'd take Jawai over Ogilivy, pure due to Jawai have something different compared to all out bigs. A very good power game. All our other bigs are finesse type of players.

I'd selected Mee, purely as a veteran ball handler and also for his length and perimeter defence. We can't afford in international ball to have small point guards with limited defence. Mee can also switch on the defensive end and guard the taller 2s if Newley and Barlow are getting torched.

Reply #178850 | Report this post

Tommy  
Years ago

D-MAC AND HOAREY SHOOD OF GOT IN IT

Reply #178852 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Reading TOMMYS' posts are like pushing shards of glass into the eye of your penis........

Reply #178855 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

NO JASON SMITH FOR GODS SAKE!?

Nutworks squad looks the one for me. Ill put it on again though.

Reply #178856 | Report this post

on the ball  
Years ago

the hardest part when picking this team is to pick the one or two players tht will make it that will mkae us all scratch our heads.

you can guarantee there will be on eor two, who will they be.

so far everyone mentioned above would not be a show stopper.

Matthew Knight?
Jacob Holmes?
Ian Cross
Russell Hinder

you all know he is going to freak us out with at least one pick

Reply #178889 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Dr B... can't take that squad... you can only take one naturalised player.. either Mee or Redhage not both.

Reply #178894 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Team will more than likely need Redhage as Mackinnon is a big question mark as he is still out injured with his dodgy knee.
I think there is more value in having someone like combo guard Kendall in the team than someone like Mee. Mee is now too slow to cope with the international game...
There is no way Hinder, Crosswhite and Holmes and Knight will make the teams as there are a plethora of bigger and better players available to cover the positions they play.
Neilson is also still a question mark with concerns surrounding his insurance again surfacing. evden more of a case for Redhage to play. And if that happens, a door will open for Ogilvy or Jawai IMO.

FYI - Stephen Black is ruled out injured hence his non-selection. Can't explain Brad Davidson's ommission from the squad though.

Reply #178895 | Report this post

BabyJ  
Years ago

If Saville and/or Smith get in the team I will abandon the olympics.

These two are well past it and too slow for international ball.

Get some young guys in who are the future and are better anyway.

PG: Bruton/Mills/Mee
SG: Newley/Barlow
SF: Worthington (as much as i hate him)/Mackinnon
PF: Neilson/Jawai
C: Bogut/Anderson/Anstey

Unlucky: Schensher, Redhage, Holmes, Ingles

Reply #178896 | Report this post

drB  
Years ago

tr .. please dont git doctor bullshit and myself confused... as doctor bullshit goes by his name :)

Reference naturalised players, if the player entered the nbl and played as an import then naturlaised i dont believe they should get the gig instead of australia players who are born bred through junior, state, nbl etc ... give the opportunity to the person who would have dreamed playing for his nation as a child not some yank who comes here and then naturalises.

Reply #178897 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

PF: Andersen, Jawai
SG: Newley, Barlow, Ingles
PG: Mills, Bruton,

I would take Jawai as the rest of the bigs are finesse players and if they do well they will need a physical player for the tough Euro and USA teams.
I also took Ingles as Gorj will only play 8-9 players anyway so get a young guy some experience. Plus he can play both Guard spots if required which will be handy against the tall euro PGs.

Also does anyone think Worthington can play SG in International BBall??

Reply #178899 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Cheers TR, then swap Redhage for Saville

Reply #178900 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Davidson shunning would come from the little incident with Goorj's lovechild BJ Carter during the season...

Crosswell has no business being in the squad along with Hinder and Helliwell. I'm happy for the others to at least try and impress Goorj during camp as long as Saville and Smith don't get selected.

I thought Baynes decided to swear his alliance to the Kiwi's.

Apologies Drb, that crossed my mind once I hit submit.

Reply #178903 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I don't see Saville making it these days, he's well past his prime and prime evidence of this was the finals. Same with Smith and the only Sydney player that should be in the team is Worthington. My team would look like the following...

PG: Bruton/Mills
SG: Newley/Barlow/Harvey
SF: McKinnon (if fit)/Redhage
PF: Worthington/Nielson
C: Bogut/Anstey/Anderson

If Sam Mac couldn't go, I dunno who I would fill the 3 spot with, maybe Ingles.
I think you need to chuck players like Anderson and Harvey in there as they have a lot of international experience.
I think the only position we lack a little bit is the PG spot. Mills had a good series against NZ, but after watching him play a few college games, he can sometimes play out of control a bit and tends to slack a bit on defence. But who do you put in the team, D Mac? Mee maybe, but then you need to drop Redhage.

Reply #178905 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's just an extended squad. It's not ridiculous for Crosswell to be there given the stocks at PG, IMO. Davidson might have been omitted due to age?

Reply #178906 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

There is no way Worthington can play PF in IntBball.
He is just to small.
He would be much weaker then the opp player and also slower then the athletic ones.

Reply #178908 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I saw absolutely zero in the GF series which makes me think Crosswell should be there. IMO the Tigers looked better when D-Mac was running the point.

Crosswell shots the 3 point rock at a pathetic rate for a guard, 7-36 (19%) and in the international game he won't get to the rim let along into the paint like he does in the NBL.

I thought BA would of had better things to spend money on then sending training fodder to national team selection camps. I wouldn't have a problem if this wasn't for a spot on the national team roster, our so-called best of the best male basketball players.

Why bother sending 30 people to camp when realistically there are probably only 15 odd players with a real chance of making it, and 4 or 5 with an outside chance pending injuries and good performances during camp.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but why has Schenscher been invited (I'd like to see him make it). He was released (due to injury) from his last squad and I can't find any evidence that he's currently playing for any team. I'm led to believe he's rehabbing his injury, but what has he done to warrant selection to this extended squad. Why is he included and players like Vanderjagt or Tragardh not invited???

Reply #178913 | Report this post

Tangles  
Years ago

My team

1) Bruton/Mills/Kendall
2) Newley/Barlow/Ingles
3) Mackinnon/Worthington/Redhage
4) Anderson/Nielson/Ogilvy/
5) Bogut/Anstey/Schenscher

This would be a young team and one for the future. After certain people retire from international basketball eg. Anstey, Bruton, McKinnon, Nielson you then have other young guys to come in like Maric, Loughton, Bruce

Reply #178922 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

Bogut/Anstey
Andersen/Jawai
Neilsen/Worthington/Redhage
Newley/Ingles/Harvey
Mills/Bruton

If Mackinnon is fit, i'd probably take him over Harvey.

Reply #178931 | Report this post

drB  
Years ago

We need a pure shooter in the team, Harvey has proven this season not only is he a great offensive threat but defensively he has performed as well, joyce as made him a complete player.

Newely/ Ingles - are atheletic, but they are not great shooters.

From most of the names coming up here we really dont have a pure scorer, the only australian who i can say from the nbl is that is Harvey. He should be in the team before newely, ingles,barlow, he also has international playing experince as well.

Reply #178938 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Have you looked at Newley's percentages in Greece? 46% from long range! I don't know why they haven't named Stephen Black - he can shoot the lights out.

Reply #178942 | Report this post

drB  
Years ago

isaac, noted his percentage has improve, i still dont think he is ready and had the intelligence. Its hard to say when you are not seeing him play in person.

I too am shocked that Steven is not in the squad, i say thats due to his rep of being a bit of a p*ssy when it comes to training, he doesnt like to train and put the hardwork in.

Talk is mee wants out of carins because of steven

Reply #178943 | Report this post

tizzle  
Years ago

C: Andrew Bogut, Chris Anstey
PF: David Andersen, Matt Neilsen, Nathan Jawai
SF: Mark Worthington, Shawn Redhage, Joe Ingles
SG: Brad Newley, Jason Smith
PG: CJ Bruton, Patrick Mills

Obviously Sam Mac goes if he is fit.

Reply #178944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

178895 said

FYI - Stephen Black is ruled out injured hence his non-selection. Can't explain Brad Davidson's ommission from the squad though.

Reply #178949 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

As I have stated on this thread before; Stephen Black is injured and ruled out of the Olympics already.
Everyone listing Ingles in the team has to be kidding themselves...the kid just 'aint up to it yet!
Talk of the pure shooter thing has me thinking. I have Harvey in my team as we lack depth and he is now a well-rounded player IMO.
However worth considering for such a role is Damien Ryan. He can really light it up and plays solid D too. He did well last time he played for Oz and I'm sure he could do it again.
I think Goorj will take Smith to Beijing. So that leaves me wondering whether Ryan is not the next player picked fopr the 2 spot as an impact shooter coming off the bench.
The more I think about it, the more I think Ryan will be picked.
Another name missing from the liost is Oscar Forman...whilst he wasn't going to make the cut, if you put people like Crosswell on the list then surely he should have got a gig? He did play for Oz last time the team was assembled after all.

Reply #178951 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Who are you going to put Oscar in for? Also, Crosswell is there because of deficiencies at the point - also, he was the starting PG on the championship team and did OK.

Reply #178956 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Isaac,

I would have put Oscar in for Crosswhite or Hinder - IMO we have enough players at the PF/C position and Oscar could slot in to the training camp team nicely.

Reply #178958 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Oscar would only play as a SF at that level, and there's more than enough competition IMO.

Reply #178960 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Nutwork has it 100% right.

Reply #178980 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Oh yeah, other than the 'one naturalised player' issue. Replace Mee for, dare I say it, Kenda... Nope, can't say it. Will have to be Saville or Harvey.

When you can't pick a third PG or combo guard, you realise your stocks in that area really are weak.

Reply #178984 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Saville should not get a gig. He is past it.
Harvey or Ryan to get the last guard spot.

Reply #178988 | Report this post

man of the moment  
Years ago

saville is not very good at all now and smith can only shoot.

Please do not pick them gorj!!!

Reply #179115 | Report this post

steve hull  
Years ago

bruton,mills @ 1
mee @1/2
smith,newelly @ 2
barlow @ 2/3
neilson, wortho @ 3
anderson,anstey @4/5
bogut,schensher @ 5

s.mack is injured

back ups are 1 - black
2 - ingles
3 - sav
4 - redhage
5 - ogilvy / jawai
this is the team of players that is most capable of winning a medal.defensive mindset.long players in passing lanes & changing shots !!
players specilising in positions !

Reply #182597 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:18 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754