Panther
Years ago

Sydney Owner gags Kings players and coaches!

WITH coach Brian Goorjian set to leave the Sydney Kings, players and officials have been threatened with legal action if they comment on anything regarding the club's future.

Sydney Kings players and staff have been angered by the threatening letter, sent just days after their grand final series loss to the Melbourne Tigers, in which controversial Firepower owner Tim Johnston stipulates they must not comment to the media on the poor financial position of the club.

Johnston is unpopular with the players and he was not invited to a post-season barbecue at Kings forward Glen Saville's house.

"He is not welcome," one Kings insider said.

The whole article

Topic #15136 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

He's really going out of his way to destroy the club. They lose Goorjian and a few of those players, and they're going to be in a lot of trouble trying to buy replacements.

Reply #178911 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

There is big trouble ahead indeed. This man is working hard to destroy it starting with Goorjan's departure. Then the players will follow.

Reply #178915 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Everyone out of contract at Sydney will not be there next season. FACT.
If the owner has missed player payments, then you will find players still contracted can renege on the agreements as a result.
Can't see the Kings making finals in 2009 if they can stay afloat.

Reply #178916 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think they'll lose the coach and about half the team over this.

The letter is dated March 16 which is the day Johnston met with the team at a fan day/BBQ thing. His reception was far from good from all accounts and he has obviously tried to pre-empt any criticism via the media with a letter that will only push them further away. Franchise suicide.

Brisbane will lose a couple of starters. Kings will be decimated. Dragons will benefit from the Kings' issues. Tigers will pick up a few pieces. Taipans will possibly lose Mee and Abney due to disagreements. Adelaide and Perth are in strong positions largely due to Redhage and Ballinger. I think the top five next year, excusing injuries or any off-season surprises, will be Tigers, Dragons, Wildcats, 36ers, Breakers.

Pigs, Hawks and Slingers will keep trundling along. Blaze, Bullets, Kings, Taipans and Crocs will fill in the middle IMO.

Reply #178919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Points cap is the only thing standing between the Dragons and Tigers all out feeding frenzy on the Kings and Bullets carcases. It will allow one or two pieces to slide elsewhere.

Reply #178921 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I agree, but there's really only one King that Adelaide could make use of (IMO) and that's Tovey.

As for the Bullets, you'd take Gibson and Ere. Bruton and Bradshaw will probably leave the NBL and I don't think we have room for Dusty if Holmes joins the 36ers?

Reply #178923 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Would you bring Darnell back?

Reply #178929 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Wow Isaac that is a big prediction and one that would make the competition a lot closer besides Melbourne who will be out in front by a clear mile! Surely South couldn't move up the ladder that much! I would be happy to see Tovey here and would welcome Darnell back with open arms. Do we try and get KB as an assistant to lure Mee back?

Reply #178932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dragons with the potential addition of 3 or 4 top tier Kings, + quality imports + Aaron Bruce + potentially Ingles + Burston. Coached by Brian Goorjian. They will absolutely rocket up the ladder.

Reply #178934 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Dragons could have the following people in their team next season (in order of likeliness):
- Ingles
- Burston
- Kendall
- Smith
- Bruce (Tigers still in with a chance)
- Worthington (Tigers still in with a chance)
+ 2 imports
With BG as coach.
Throw in Herbert (had a good rookie season), Hill and Martin and the basis is there for a gtreat team.

Reply #178936 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Correct - Dragons would be a force and the Melbourne derbies could draw big crowds, IMO.

Darnell is apparently trying to get out of his contract in Cairns (and they might be happy to oblige given his ratio of performance to page) - you'd think he'd want to be in Adelaide or Wollongong (KB is assistant with the Hawks but would be interviewing for the 36ers gig today as well).

However, I don't know whether there's room with Davidson in the team. With Maher on the bench and able to play both guard spots, we have scope for a project PG (Sutton, Zorich, Kersten, whoever) that shouldn't be wasted.

I'd make a play for Gibson (just for the hell of it, and find minutes for him if it came through), Ere to start at SG (even if it's a long shot) and Tovey to back-up at SF. Maybe try for Boucher as a role-playing back-up SF too as an alternative to Tovey.

Davidson/Kersten
Ere/Maher
Holmes/Tovey
Ballinger/Dodman
Cooper/A rat from the Dome

That'd fit under the points cap, I think, as long as the rat wasn't rated too highly.

Reply #178939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ere was too expensive for the Kings, but not too expensive for the Bullets. Would think that would definitely make him too expensive for the 36ers, especially considering his stock has only risen.

Reply #178941 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

The rat would get a home player discount though wouldn't it?

Probably bring it down from a 5 to a 4.

Get Seamus over here to get a re rating, we could even get it down to a 3!

Shouldn't count under the salary carp either, would play for scraps you would think..

Reply #178945 | Report this post

ballin is life  
Years ago

i'm not a fan of tovey. worries too much about his hair and the style of it when he's on court. I'd prefer not to have him. haven't really seen him have much impact, or is that just me that thinks that?

Reply #178947 | Report this post

duh!  
Years ago

this Johnston sounds like a right royal di*khead.
he must be the only guy in the history of the earth to go into business and jepordise it and to lose money.
what does he hope to achieve with his childish vindictiveness???
i wouldn't touch anything he became involved with in future, with a 50 foot pole.
he obviously doesn't respect the game or this league at all if i successful club on the floor is forced to walk from doing what they love and are good at.

Reply #178959 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

I think you'll find Mahersy coming off the bench is everbody elses plan but not his. He'll go one more year but doesn't want to end up as a bench filler. That, by necessity, WILL affect roles and who joins the club.

Reply #178978 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

could you get Mee back as the back up SF??? and he could also play in the guard rotation aswell abit liek Copeland did last season??
I think he would be a handy pick up off the bench for a year or two and would be good for someonee like a kersten or zorich to learn from! also the fact he is a crowd favourite and rated as one of the 36ers all time greats with KB maybe joining as an assistant i think he would be welcomed back!

Reply #178992 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

BUGGER! I got excited from the title and thought that somebody finally choked Goorj.

Reply #178993 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw, I was thinking Maher 6th man and heard Ninnis mention ( via the media ) Ng will play.

Reply #178995 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

LC- I think they would have too many guards in that team you named to be honest. When I think about the Wortho situation, I think you could be right in saying he would follow Smith, Kendall and BG if they were to go to South. Looking at Perth, they have Redhage, Loughton and Rogers playing in the bigs spots and wouldn't really have room for Wortho.

Reply #178996 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Panther - agree on the guards, however that is where the 2 import thing comes into play - they will recruit bigs. That's also why Bruce is still 50/50 between Dragons and Tigers.
Also, talk is that the Dragons are targetting a college senior that plays centre. Likely to be Aleks Maric. That could make a world of difference. Although could also be exploring other College senior centres in Sam Harris (from Tassie) or Melbourne boy Adam Tanner.
Burston, Aussie college centre + 2 import forwards.
Bloody good lineup if you ask me (if it actually eventuates of course!).

Reply #179002 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Camel31. You seem to be the only one talking about Ng.
Isaac seems to have left him out of his calculations - does he know something we don't?

Reply #179004 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I can only guess that Isaac is thinking 'bout Ng being a doctor? But Ninnis interview with Jason Dix indicated Ng-Ninnis would happen.

Reply #179007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, the rat would be a maximum of 5 points, as it would get the loyalty discount and has been around for 10+ years.

Reply #179012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NG will happen as Hemmerling spoke to him before Ninnis was even appointed.

Reply #179013 | Report this post

joker  
Years ago

Ng going to Singapore along with Marcus dont be surprised was going last year and said it was only due to previous coach he stayed so i suspect he is on his way.However with all the dramas going on at other clubs a major plus for us so expect some big name recruits.Mee definately wants out of Cairns,his relationship with S Black could not be worse so dad will have to let him go.Hopefully with some payout making our chances of getting him really good has said for a long time he would always come back to the 36ers.

Reply #179019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats the problem with Mee? he is on a loaded team, on big dollars and i cant see him having problems with the Blacks, its just not like him to be like that, so whats going on in Cairns?

Reply #179021 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

"Mee definately wants out of Cairns,his relationship with S Black could not be worse..."

I can't understand why there are so many rumours regarding Stephen Black's inability to get on with players. This was reportedly one of the reasons why he has never played for a Boomer's team. Honestly I just can't see it. He seems to have a great basketball brain, is always very articulate when being interviewed and never lacks passion when he's playing. It's not as if he acts like a complete tool like say Sean Lampley where you could understand how teammates might not like him.

Reply #179022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

joker - come back to the sixers?

Reply #179023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Black is cancer on teams. He's one of, if not the, most hated player in the NBL. He has never been in serious Boomer contention because of it. They all hate him.

Reply #179031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Black the most hated player in the NBL.
Didn't that title used to belong to P.Rees ?

Reply #179039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Judging from what's been said then, the Dragons possibly -

Burston/College Centre
Import/Hobba
Ingles/ Import(IV?)
Smith/Kendall
Bruce/Martin

Herbert and Hill in there somewhere maybe. I reckon Wortho might head off 2 Europe. Would love a healthy Sam Mack in there instead of an import. Don't think Ingles has any chance at the NBA yet.

Who are the other Kings rumoured to follow Goorj and who are the Bullets guys on the move?

Reply #179064 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No idea whether Ng will play with Adelaide so don't speculate based on me including him or not including him in line-ups. Would be Singapore or here, you'd think. If Maher came off the bench, I think we'd be better off with an import rather than Ng starting. If Maher and Ng were the two SGs, and Holmes came here, where are you going to use an import spot? PG or C (harder to find - although could they go for Abney?)?

As for Black, certainly seems that he rubs people up the wrong way. Apparently he's just peculiar and doesn't get along with a lot of other players.

Reply #179321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ng is an 8 according to Boti, and Schenscher 10.

Reply #179322 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:28 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754