flatout
Years ago

NIC CAMPBELL could help us

just heard that Blaze have let Nic Campbell go. Look, i realise he only got very limited minutes under Joyce, but from his College stats and snippets of what we saw, he looks like someone we could use. Apparently, he's doing well for Ballarat too at the moment... any thoughts???

Topic #15176 | Report this topic

Babyballer  
Years ago

Is this the ex Mav's player??

Reply #179345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No.

Reply #179346 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not the Mavs guy. It's the ex-AIS guy from Tasmania (I think) who played at college.

Here's a thread about his signing with more info on him.

Would probably be a SF at NBL level? Haven't seen him play, so not sure if he still has the upside he did in the AIS days. Wonder if the Blaze let him go because he wasn't coming along or because they just didn't have room for him?

Blazefan or Statman - your thoughts? See much of him on court up there?

Reply #179352 | Report this post

Blazefan  
Years ago

As the Blaze announced their signings last year I thought it was good to get a guy fresh out of the US collegiate system. This was probably one of the few things missing from the comprehensive CVs of Blaze players.

Despite getting a few minutes here and there on the road, we didn't get to see him as much at home. I think he filled the 10 spot for most away trips.

When we did see him, it was usually in the 'sub with less than two minutes to go in the quarter' situation. He nailed the occasional 3-pointer but really didn't get the opportunities perhaps he should have been given.

For those who don't know him, I think comparisons to a young Jacob Holmes when he entered the league would be reasonable (with ironically the same singlet number #12). I'm pretty sure his position is SF, although possibly not as big in the rebounding numbers. His career persentages from beyond the arc are pretty reasonable though.

He seems to be a nice guy who IMO, deserves a second chance at NBL level, perhaps under a coach who gives his bottom three more than 5 minutes per game.

Interesting to note that that Nic's player profile on the Blaze website mentions the following "Gold Coast coach Brendan Joyce has earmarked Campbell as a future Blaze stalwart."

hhhmmmmmmmmmmm............

Reply #179404 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Agreed with what Blazefan has said. Hardly saw any court time and as a result didnt get to showcase his ability. Was only used as a last resort and as a rulsult would have felt pressure to deliver immediately he was subbed on and not make errors or miss out on any more time. Hell of a nice guy off the court and could flourish in the right system and with a coach who can instill some confidence.
His size says he is a SF but he doesnt get in the paint much and likes the long bomb (very much like Oscar)

Reply #179420 | Report this post

SOJ is a gun  
Years ago

wen at blaze, was he friends with melmeth??

Reply #179612 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NBA Melmeth or NBL Melmeth?

Reply #179615 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Gold Isaac.

Reply #179617 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:43 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754