Jay
Years ago

How pathetic and transparent is Nagy!

How long do we poor suffering followers have to put up with Nagy treating us like we dont know anything about the game and thinking he can manipulate us. I know he hates Goorjian and who cares but to just write lies in the paper and then expect us to go out and boo Sydney like we we are trained poodles puts us down. Poor Brian is crying because Bruton has missed " a couple" of games when he has missed probably 6-8. Nagy knows its more then a couple of games so why write " a couple". Kendal was probably going to win the rookie of the year or tie with Newley. Wheeler has been hurt and nursing an ankle. We are still crying over the fact that Nash is missing, Brett is going to miss two months and plays the next week, Williams cant play and then if he misses Sixers will struggle without him. Nagy you really are pathetic and the sooner The Advertiser gets a decent journo, thats an oxymoron I know, the better. im just going to catch a plane and go back to Melbourne and not tell anyone Im South Australian. Better idea I will tell everyone that Nagy is actually a Victorian!

Topic #1521 | Report this topic

yogee  
Years ago

Dont let the door hit your ass on the way out.

GOorjian has whined to every media outlet he can about how he is such a great coach still winning games with CJ and Kendall out. Newsflash, CJ played like garbage most of last season, and Kendall hardly got any court time (hence he is a rookie this season)

You seem to have your own personal agenda against Boti Jay, the only posts you seem to make are trying to drag him down.

Go back to Melbourne with Steven Howell and Grantley Bernard......yeah theres a dynamic duo for you.

Reply #17389 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I do agree that the second half of his article today was uncalled for.

I don't agree at all that he should be replaced.

Reply #17390 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

He colums do get boring and I would like to see more local stuff in the paper. I think Goorjian is a great coach and i do get sick of the slagging Boti does of him. Unfortunately though, there is not a lot to replace him.

Reply #17391 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Of course the criticism of Goorjian is uncalled for. We all love to hate Goorjian but I think most of us respect his accomplishments. The guy can coach.

Jay, if you think Nagy doesn't know that Goorjian can coach I think you will find you are mistaken.

I'm sure all Nagy is trying to do is hype up the game, create some controversy and hopefully make the game sound a bit more appealing.

There is nothing wrong in this at all. Have a look at the NBA media if you want examples of this. They hype up some games like they are going to be World War 3. It is through the media that heroes and villains are created.

The NBL has lost this. There really aren't any 'can't miss' grudge matches anymore.

Victoria Giants went broke before we had a chance to boo Marcus Wright and Feaster.

I'm all for the media getting involved to help sell tickets by creating some rivalry. I mean how sad is it that the Smyth v. Goorjian rivalry is the best selling point?

We need some Ray Gordon's back in the league. We also need Australia's written media to do all they can to sell the game, not just write two line previews with box score summaries for reviews as occurs throughout the rest of Australia.

Reply #17394 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

So many great rivalries were lost with the disappearance of the Magic/Titans/Giants.

You used to be able to fire up the crowd with news that Shane Heal was coming to town, but that's been a significant loss (the Kings have lost their iconic captain, too).

I could probably name the full rosters of every team in the league off the top of my head, but I don't know if the average basketball fan in the street could name some of the big players outside of Adelaide.

Vlahov? Nup. Harvey? Nup. Freeman? Nup. KB? Nup. Anstey? Nup. Heal? Nup.

We're left with Gaze (near retirement), Bradtke (might not be far off it himself), Grace (same), etc.

The other talents that are left are doing it quietly -- Wethers, Saville, Ronaldson, Black, Smith, etc.

The NBL is trying to hype old college duels between imports (witness current top article on NBL site), but the NBL online audience would be strong fans only, not kids playing basketball, or those that have dropped away from the game.

The Advertiser has had two recent big pieces on LeBron James. It wouldn't hurt for there to be more about the NBA and NBL names currently racking up stats in the league(s).

Reply #17397 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Your right, boti may be annoying but im sure he is just trying to hype up the game, and good on him for doing that

Reply #17402 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I disagree that Boti needs to go. It would be a sad loss to decent basketball writing.
I find his articles are always entertaining and amusing and, more often than not, spot on!
I also think his sarcasm has been lost on some readers who may not 'get' his wit. It's often the only thing in the Advertiser that I seek out and look forward to reading.
Keep up the good work Boti!
If you want to hear 'pathetic & transparent' in journalism, just listen to Steve Carfino commentaries on Foxtel when the 'World Champion' Kings are playing. (Yuk!)

Reply #17405 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I agree...having got to speak to Boti a lot more over this season, he is actually one of the most insightful people into the game that arent playing or coaching at a national level I have spoken to.

And with that, he also doesnt read these forums, so giving him a serve here really doesnt serve a purpose at all :)

Reply #17408 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

I have a feeling he does read these forums, and might even write on here.

Reply #17410 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

"In the know", my sources tell me you may be right about Mr Nagy writing here.

Reply #17419 | Report this post

the light  
Years ago

this is ridiculous. have u read the other papers basketball articles? do u find them entertaining? do u enjoy reading them? for those who havent read the basketball articles in sydney, melbourne and the likes, its plain and boring. boti is a great journo. he makes his articles interesting, funny and are unique to the other states. paying out sydney? i dont see the big deal? i would think a large percentage of 36ers supporters would have sydney in their top 2 or 3 teams that they love to beat...or even, love to hate. boti knows this, and that is partly the reason why he consistently writes, somewhat, 'against' sydney.

are we still crying about nash not being in the team? i dont think we are. i mean, we are sitting comfortably on the ladder, tied for second, perhaps the 'crying' would be a little louder if we werent doing as well. every team has injuries, but The Advertiser is a South Australian newspaper forthose people who havent figured that out yet; which means that the majority of people who will read it will be south australians. why then, would boti write in his reports that adelaide is whinging and whining about our injuries? boti would want to make the team sound the best it can, even when the team isnt going so well. because of this, he'll try and make the other nbl teams sound worse off. this is a very effective technique and i think some of you people should consider what he has to do each week for a living.

Reply #17445 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Well said- he writes a great report for people who can't get to the games and with no internet

Reply #17453 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

Other writers in other sports are not as scarcastic as Boti, and they spread an even perspective over game reveiews. There is difference between home town bias and a 'slagging' of other states. It just becomes boring to read and I find a lot of the time I won't bother reading the articles.

Reply #17460 | Report this post

Richard  
Years ago

good on him if he writes here. it may be true that he keeps stuff entertaining, but that doesnt excuse the fact that he knows squat about basketball, especially for an exclusive writer. its about time the advertiser employed someone from the SA basketball scene to do the reporting

Reply #17461 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

oh richard oh richard oh richard
someone from the basketball scene

i'm not a great fan of boti and alot of time i don't agree with him

but his family played state basketball i'm not sure but Huba might have even played for australia

his wife's family all played basketball and her brother andris blicavs did play basketballf or oz. his first wife was leanne christie andris, wife that is leanne christie became leanne grantham of wnbl player, australian player and wnbl adminstator fame.

boti was certainly a good player some said he would have been the best of the nagy boys before he had his career cut short with a knee injury.

he has coached at abl level he currently coaches juniors with forestville you will see him out and lots of games. his kids play and he is committed to the game.

he gets a phone call from all the abl games commissioners with scores etc and he has his ear to ground.

so next time richard engage brain before writing that someone from the basketball scene is involved. he has probably seen more involvement that you could dream of.

Reply #17472 | Report this post

Ilse  
Years ago

Boti's the man !

Reply #17477 | Report this post

brooksy  
Years ago

why not get someone else in the adevertiser to write about the nbl aswell. even if he/she says to total opposite of waht boti says atleast we will have 2 opinions. i think we are all caught up in this smyth/gorgian thing tht we dont know what best for basketball in australia, particularly the senior men. why not bring back adrian hurley, everyone said he should coach an nbl team cos it would be more succissful...then theyhired smyth....he stuggled....then they hired gorgian...he struggled....waht next? why not get back the mad who did a good job for australian basketball. the only problem was that our expecttions of an average team were too high

Reply #17480 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Oh no Brooksy, I feel you might be pitching for Barry Barnes to be reinstated as Boomers' coach. Tell me it isn't so!

Reply #17484 | Report this post

Youairballed  
Years ago

Bodi doesn't read this sight ha!

Poor richard, basketball is that sport played indoors with two rings, one at each end of the court.

The fact you didn't know Bodi was a player,coach and parent goes to show someone doesn't know squat about bball in SA.

Not a Bodi fan BUT

He is one of the few people down at the Advertiser who realise in other parts of the world they play sports with a round ball.

It's the tiser that needs to go!

Reply #17489 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

clearly the tiser doesnt need to go. Probly the round ball incident becuase football is clearly the major sport in this town. dont get me wrong, ive played bball my whole life and love the game, but am also a footballer, and know that everything, every industry is commercial, its there to make money, including the advertiser, which follows football so much to do so. if you dont think adelaide is a football town, just think what the government would do if the SANFL got in financial trouble, oh hang on, that would never happen... not to mention that basketball in SA never has a real future unless BASA is completely restructured, but then again, thats a pretty obvious statement that i think anyone in positions in club with power or organisation needed would agree with, unless you yourself are engaged with BASA...

Reply #17495 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

Hey annoymous you think that Boti was the best of the family. Not from what an old coach of mine told me. In fact he once told the team when we were having a beer one night he had a sister who was better! Did he ever play state league? Was he ever in the state juniors? What exactly did he do on the court? Smythe once called him footsteps. You can guess why. But then is "annoymous" an alias for Boti!

Reply #17695 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I'm with Jay on this one. Boti needs to go. His extreme disliking of Brian is obvious and it's getting extremely boring. Is it that he has always wanted to be a comedian and tries to do this through his articles???
He constantly tries to "bag" and bring down certain players and people around the league that really don't deserve it.
His lack of professionalism in his articles is now out of control. How about reporting humanely and maturely about the sport or take up a new profession as a stand up...

Reply #17701 | Report this post

nemesis  
Years ago

OK you've got me in. I'm going to have to read a Nagy article.

Reply #17834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti needs to stay, as a beat writer. Look at the US papers.

Boti's Thursday column is always a standout for me and his attitude and personality is extremely entertaining.

On the other side of things, that definately doesn't make him a good game report type writer. His personal opinions always come out in what he says and while there is a place for that, it's not in the game write up.

Reply #17852 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Well I look forward to his weekly spread in the Advertiser and again, today I wasn't disappointed.
As funny as usual.
I see him at every home game, sitting there taking notes for his match writeups.
If you want unbiased to 36ers writeups, read the NBL match reports.
The Advertiser is a South Australian paper which should supposrt SA as far as sport goes.
I don't supposethere are too many local football fans asking that Crows and Power writeups in the local paper be 'unbiassed'.

Reply #17932 | Report this post

yoyo  
Years ago

i agree Dana....i think boti has done a tremendous job over the years, and the fact he still has his job after all these years is testament to the job he has done. i know i am not alone in saying that i enjoy his articles...however i also understand people who dont like his humour, a jounalist is not always going to please everyone. he may step over the line occasionally, but better than having some boring guy writing week in week out.

Reply #17958 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Not to mention Boti is a Hall of Fame selection panel member, has written one of the most authorative books on the WNBL ever produced (with an updated version coming soon I have been told!), and is the only News Ltd journo who is regularly invited to participate on Fox Sports.

What would people prefer....NO NBL in the paper?

Reply #17978 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:40 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754