Nick
Years ago

Singapore Slingers looking better

The Singapore Slingers situation is looking up already for next season with the signing of Darren jg, a great player who's Asian heritage will be a huge marketing boost and may well make him a poster boy. I also heard Isaac mention that they might be FINALLY taking advantage of their 3rd (Asian) import spot and are looking to sign some guy from the Philippines (?). Can you help me out here Isaac regrading this? Hopefully they can retain Grizzard and that would give them a hell of a starting line up. If they buy well on the free agent market they'll do very well. They'll have a strong roster with good Asian content what with Wong, Asian Import, Ng, Koh Meng Koon and Pathman Matialakan.

Knight
Grizzard
Asian Import
Ng
Helms

+

Janev (actually a very good player, but nobodys heard of him...yet)
Wong
and new signings

Topic #15263 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure Nick - all I was going on was that article from a while back about the Filipino guy. Haven't seen anything since.

Reply #180279 | Report this post

DandyBoi  
Years ago

Is Shane McDonald going back next season?

Reply #180282 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Does anyone know if any of theses guys below have any game and actually have or any game or where there just signed in desperation because by the time Singapore were able to sign players there was no one left.

Shane McDonald
Hayden Allen
John Fitzgerald
Chris Cameron

Reply #180287 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Chris Cameron could be second sub on a mid-range team (or deeper on a contender). The others should be 8-10th men rather than starting or an early sub.

Reply #180291 | Report this post

Nick . These 4 can all play and all 4 should be in a NBL team this year again somewhere though they may not get as much game time if they choose to play somewhere else. The key point last year was that the Slingers were late in being able to approach experienced players hence their team selection .

This year the Slinger have been much more active in the market at a much ealier stage and they have the money to offer reasonable good contracts to also experienced players hence the success with Darren Ng .

You should be able to look forward to some good news in the coming weeks but it is still a bit too early to expect public announcements. Personally I think some of last years new players will be back but not all - so have your pick and my guess is to select the best 3 rookies . In the mean time you may wish to follow Shane McDonald playing for Nunawading , Hayden in Auckland with Oscar Foreman , John Fitzy in Mackay as part of the QABL and Chris Cameron in Big V Waverley team. My view is that with Darren in the team there is no more Mike Helms to look forward to - but some of the additions to come should more than make up.

Reply #180292 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

I'm not actually a Slingers fan but I'm interested with how they are going and I really want them to succeed. Darren Ng has added to my interest but I'm a Sixers fan and not interested enough to follow the Slingers players in the ABL, NZ etc. Thanks for all the info "defence win games."

Reply #180298 | Report this post

Thanks Nick. I am actually also a long time sixers fan now living in Singapore . So for me it is great that Darren Ng is coming to strengthen the local team.

Reply #180301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As far as TV wrights go I saw on wikipedia that their games are going to shown on sling HD (cable)rather than Star Hub (also cable), not that it makes difference to us. Anyone know if you can stream it online, would be useful for when the Sixers play up there and to watch Darren.

Reply #180306 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You can follow Allen's progress with the Harbour Heat via basketball.org.nz (quite a good site).

I saw it hinted somewhere that Chris Cameron was hopeful of a back-up role with the Dragons (presumably so he could be back in Melbourne), but that might be a bit hopeful.

As DWG as said, Ng would mean less need for Helms and I think that will be a key to the Slingers being more competitive.

Reply #180307 | Report this post

Re http://www.slinghd.com/sling/

Sorry it is not streamed live . I am not even sure it is live ...so only chance is to find a friend in singapore and set up a Slingbox and watch it on your computer . Sorry I have none -but this is what people here are using to watch NBL from Australia .

http://www.slingmedia.com/

Reply #180310 | Report this post

Slingers.

Now there is another reason the NBL is shite!

Get the NBL in order 1st before we look overseas.

Reply #180342 | Report this post

Fm  
Years ago

I thought Shane improved well throughout the year. Fitzy is also worth keeping. I thought Cameron is too lazy and Hayden isn't worth keeping either.

What is happening with Dave Donaldson? Small minutes last year, but defiantly improved a lot. Worth keeping on your travelling bench.

As for the filo import, he appears to play far dirtier than anything experienced in Australia. Could be interesting to watch how other guards deal with him in defense.

Getting rid of Helms and replacing with a decent 3 / 4 replacement would work well. Is Anthony Johnston available this year after his contract expires with Realtors?

Reply #180352 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

Helms = Ng.

Best joke of the day award there.

Reply #180360 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ng will be able to cover most of Helms' scoring output and allow the Slingers to get another import. Definitely a smart move from them.

Reply #180365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Helms a 1 or a 2. If he's a 1 wouldn't you want to keep him so theres a decent player running the point or is he 2 man stuck in PGs body?

Reply #180373 | Report this post

It looks like Shane McDonald is coming back to the Slingers because he is not on the final list released toady by the NBL.

The signed and publicised list for the Slingers now included :

Ben Knight
Darren Ng
Shane McDonald

And the free agent list for the Slingers now include

Rod Grizzard
Michael Helms
Blagoj Janev
Chris Cameron
John Fitzgerald
Michael Wong
Hayden Allen
Damian Matacz
David Donaldson
Koh Meng Koon
Pathman Matialakan

Reply #180381 | Report this post

More than anything Helms is a guard .

His college team lacked a pure point guard which may have influced his development.

My view is that Helms is a 2 man and when he plays 1 he also wants to play 2.

Reply #180383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

where is this list you speak of defence wins games?

Reply #180398 | Report this post

http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=74695

NBL Releases Final Free Agents List
Mon, 31 Mar 2008 9:54 AM

Reply #180399 | Report this post

Giraffe 31  
Years ago

Could the sixers or another other NBL teams use Helms?

Reply #180403 | Report this post

Years ago

Helms.. in 06/07 Helms was great!
But in 07/08 Helms came back "not so fit"
(Maybe having too much KFC)
It impacted his game straight away.
Look at his numbers from 2006 to 2007.
06 he was around 23ppg
07 he was 19/20.

Helms would be okay for the 36ers or another team.
But he would only bring this to the table:
Some games he will score 15+
Some (most for last season) Scores less than 15
Stupid Turnovers
Doesent put in all the effort

Its almost like he was random last year. Some days it was good, some days it was terrible.
Hes a great guy.
But..
The 36ers can do better than Mike Helms.

Reply #180405 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They could, but I think they'd be better off looking at alternatives.

Reply #180406 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:58 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754