DandyBoi
Years ago

Boomers training squad - London 2012

Here is an outline of those in this years' Boomers squad who are likely to be around for the 2012 London Olympics (there are 21 returnees):

" Aron BAYNES (Washington State, NCAA)
" Aleks MARIC (Nebraska, NCAA)
" Alex LOUGHTON (Perth, NBL)
" Andrew BOGUT (Milwaukee Bucks, NBA)
" Andrew OGILVY (Vanderbilt, NCAA)
" David ANDERSEN (CSKA Moscow, Europe)
" Luke SCHENSCHER (Brose Baskets, Europe)
" Matthew NIELSEN (Lietuvos Rytas, Europe)
" Nathan JAWAI (Cairns, NBL)
" Wade HELLIWELL (Solsonica Rieti, Europe)

" David BARLOW (Melbourne, NBL)
" Jacob HOLMES (South Dragons, NBL)
" Joe INGLES (South Dragons, NBL)
" Mark WORTHINGTON (Sydney, NBL)
" Peter CRAWFORD (Perth, NBL)

" Aaron BRUCE (Baylor, NCAA)
" Adam GIBSON (Brisbane, NBL)
" Brad NEWLEY (Panionios BC, Europe)
" Damien RYAN (Vanoli Soresina, Europe)
" Luke KENDALL (Sydney, NBL)
" Patrick MILLS (St. Mary's College, NCAA)

As you can see there are plenty of big guys, but a lack of guards. We have some serious depth at the Centre and Power Forward slots. Question marks will surround Nielson and Helliwell as to whether they will play on that long with the Boomers.

Here are some possible inclusions:
" Matthew DELLAVEDOVA (AIS)
" Carlin HUGHES (St Marys, NCAA)
" Ben DOWDELL (Santa Clara, NCAA)
" Stephen WEIGH (Formerly Utah, NCAA)
" Ator MAJOK (Blacktown)

Any other suggestions, thoughts and ideas for this training squad, as there is a lot of water to pass under the bridge between now and the 2012 games&

Topic #15265 | Report this topic

Sturt Champions  
Years ago

That's a fair list we have there.
I think we have a shortage of small forwards if you ask me as well.

Reply #180299 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

obviously we have one of the best big man lineups around, but our guards and small forwards leave a little to be desired, but there is one good thing about our 3 men, they generally have the abililty to play the 2 man spot aswell. the youth also is an advantage to us, as by the time 2012 rolls around, guys like ingles, jawai, bogut, schenscher, newley, bruce, mills will all be alot more seasoned and ready be clear standouts on the international court. i think it would be fair to say that we would be one of the favourites already for 2012 based on the depth of our youth at the moment. is just a matter if the coaches use it to our advantage for once

Reply #180322 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Favourites - what with the US, Greece, Argentina, Russia, etc etc.

I wouldn't be getting too excited, lets see how we go in 2008 and 2010 then we can start thinking about 2012, there is a lot of basketball between now and 2012.

Reply #180351 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

How about one of the Ng brothers?

Reply #180387 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I guess Darren could go as the team doctor?

Reply #180397 | Report this post

M-Wills  
Years ago

OMG Ricey. Just reading your comment, and boy that is a great lineup in the future isn't it:

-Mills
-Bruce
-Ingles
-Schenser
-Bogut
-Newley
-Jawai

That is an awesome lineup. Alot of draft prospects there
Mills has a great oppurtinity, as does Jawai. Newley has been drafted and Bogut is already doing big things in NBA. Schenser was getting a good workout with NBA Teams, and Bruce had a great NCAA career(mainly in his freshan year). Plus Ingles has such an exciting future. The future of the Boomers is bright to say the least.

Reply #180443 | Report this post

ball up!!  
Years ago

hmmm i like this list..im not sure about the dellavadova kid would he really be considerd for this..what about the tomlinson fella???

Reply #180496 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

As Bluey said, what about USA, Argentina, Greece, Spain, Russia. Does anybody seriously believe that Australia is a medal chance? IMO Goorjian is not a good enough coach to take the Boomers to that level at the Olympics. Most of the teams named above have outstanding players who compete in the NBA or the strong European Leagues. I believe (and I really hope I'm wrong) that Australia will struggle at the Olympics and who will Basketball Australia blame then????

Reply #180518 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I think this is looking like a really good lineup:

Bogut, Jawai, Andersen, and Ogilvy

Those 4 big guys alone are super-talented and all different types of players giving us versatility in the big-man dept. When you add depth through guys such as Schenscher, Maric, and Baynes, our frontline is and will be as good if not better than anyone else's by 2012.

We have some unproven talent in the small forward position at International level in guys like Wortho, Barlow, Holmes and Crawford - whether they can step it up to international standards is still to be seen.

We have promise in the guard department right now - they are good prospects for international basketball and nothing else just yet. Given 4 years of playing top-level basketball in either the NBA or Europe, guys such as Mills, Newley, Ingles, Kendall and Bruce are going to have to shoulder the load given our dearth of talent at guard. I think we need a few more young guards to step up to the plate though if we want to be a serious challenger for a medal.

It is good to see our up and coming junior talent such as the Emu's mixing it with the best so the long term future still looks bright.

Reply #180527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pat Mills/Aaron Bruce/Jorden Page
Brad Newley/Michael Cedar/Matthew Dellavadova
Joe Ingles/David Barlow/Mark Worthington
Nathan Jawai/Ater Majok/Daniel Kickert
Andrew Bogut/Andrew Ogilvy/Aleks Maric

Reply #204750 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:31 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754