Anonymous
Years ago

Rockets go small against Flames

I was just looking through the stats from this weeks game and realised how small the rockets would have been on saturday night.

I noticed that Hambour and Quigley only played 16 and 15 mins repectively for a total of 31 mins between them. Now, even if you assume that these two were never on the court at the same time then that means that for 17 minutes the rockets played without a 4 or a 5 man on the court, and never had more than one big man on for the whole game!

What do people think of this. With speculation that Dusty isn't going to suit at all this year, do people think that the rockets can still win the title with such a small team? Surely they will struggle with some of the bigger teams like Sturt and West with Dodman and Truslove both around 6'10. Even the tigers might be a tough match up for them along with the eagles and Norwood

Also I noticed that Sapwell didn't play...does anyone know why?

Topic #15270 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

quigley is hardly a centre as well prolly more a 3 man who plays the 4 spot not big enuff or strong ebuff for the 5

Reply #180336 | Report this post

Having seen this game Saturday night, it was obvious to me that it wasnt the plan to go that small. I think after Hambour blew up and was benched because of it, it meant that they had to go smaller and was actually affective.
The group that was on in the 4th was small but controlled the quarter, had Eze made a couple tough lay ups the result would have gone the other way.

As for can they win it small, i think yes because they have a tonne of scoring power, but will be tough as they will be targeted even more this year. Tough loss but one i dont think the North coaches would be too worried about, they to me still look like one of the best groups.

I should note im not partial to either team, went along as a basketball fan and got my monies worth, was a great spectacle of basketball.

Reply #180337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hambour had 4 fouls in the first 10 minutes and flew off the handle. Came back and injured himself.

As for Sappa, he wont be playing unless he is really needed due to injuries.

And Dusty will be playing, just later in the season. There is no 'speculation' to this.

Reply #180346 | Report this post

RMall  
Years ago

Hambour was on the wrong end of a lot of terrible calls by a pair of referees who were out of their element all night. He shouldn't have lost his head the way he did though and take himself out of the game completely.

I think they will still be around the mark, as the first game of the season always uncovers a lot of areas that need work.

Was another great Norwood/North matchup in the end, with Norwood coming up with the big shots when it counted towards the end.

Reply #180361 | Report this post

Hmmmm  
Years ago

Great game that could have gone either way. North may have got more out of this with the loss than Norwood with the win!

Reply #180363 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is North-Norwood the new big ABL rivalry (after Sturt-Forestville from recent years)?

Reply #180366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do Norwood still sing their song in front of the team they just beat?

Reply #180367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Their song - sounds like a remix of an old footy favourite. They did sing it but I dont think North was standing there listening

Reply #180369 | Report this post

Footy-Pie  
Years ago

How much are these teams going to change by the end of the year?

North adding Dusty? Maybe?? Anyone else?

I guess norwood are getting Cooper back? and what about Webber and Papendieck? Are they playing this year when college is over? And Lampshire returning from injury.

Looks like the flames will be pretty strong come finals time!

Reply #180371 | Report this post

To me the Flames actually looked to play better without Cooper. Webber will add another scorer and a better defender. Bell struggled and it was lucky for the flames that he got in foul trouble cos Eze may have had 30 in the first quarter had he stayed on.

For me its still a 3 horse race in North, Norwood and Forestville

Reply #180374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bell was very slow and struggled with the pace of the game. Best for him to go back to the bench as he is only the shadow of the player he was years ago. Will be better to have Webber back to play alongside Matthews. It will be good to have Coops back to push Thompson to the 3.

Also, Flames do not sing the song in front of the other team anymore as they wait until the opposition is in the changerooms. It is along the lines of the same song as Norwood sing in the Footy. Its more there to get the kids and crowd involved.

Reply #180378 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:48 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754