Cal
Years ago

Potential imports for Dragons

There hasn't been much talk about possible imports for the club,
only 1 import??
Will Cortez return.
Would Rosell Ellis come back and dominate and win another club MVP, i think Rosell could fit into any coaches system, very hard worker and his enthusiasm carries over onto the rest of the playing group.

Opinions.......

Topic #15286 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Nick Horvath is naturalised and signed. Easy to write him off based on his minimal contributions last season and his having been replaced (or not resigned) at each of his last three clubs, but the guy was a 20 and 10 threat against legitimate opposition when with Adelaide and West Sydney. Wonder if playing under Goorjian could bring significant contribution to his game? (Last thing he needs is to pick up more fouls!)

For those interested, he is playing in the NZ NBL this off-season although has taken five or so games off in order to get married (I think). Kevin Owens (one-time Cairns big man import - remember the white guy with the long socks?) is filling in for him - their team's been doing pretty well.

Reply #180562 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Burston fully fit showed he CAN still be a serious Centre in this league. Horvath as a Naturalised backup is fine. Centre is covered.

PF is where we have a problem, and it really depends on who we sign. Rumours are already rife that Goorj wants Sam Mack to come home, and there's always a place for Wortho here :-) although I can already see points cap issues coming into play.

Ingles is the obvious guy at the 3. Hopefully Goorj doesn't fall for the Shane Heal "He's a PG!" routine.

Smith, contrary to rumours, will NOT be coming back to Melbourne, so an import SG is likely. Groves would probably not be on the shopping list after last season, but I still reckon the system killed him and he MAY be OK.

At the point, I can see potential for Draper to come back to Goorj with Luke Martin staying possibly as a backup.

I would expect the team to look SOMETHING like....

Starters
Burston
Sam or Wortho
Ingles
Import (Groves a possible, but unlikely)
Import (Draper a possible)

With a Bench of
Horvath
Hobba
Herbert
Martin
SOLID 6th man impact type player

I have not added points or such, but it would have to be CLOSE to do-able, I would think.

Whether Goorj's Semi finals record stays in tact will very much depend on how good a coach he is, with THAT kind of roster.

I suspect, with his recruiting history though, he'll probably do much better than my little crappy effort.

Reply #180567 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I was wondering about that record. It would take some impressive effort to get the dragons off bottom and to a semi-final in one season. Goorj might just be biting off more than he can chew, especially if he doesn't retain his core players from Sydney (which he did in the move from the Magic to the Kings).

Reply #180571 | Report this post

Cal  
Years ago

dicko, i know that you know what's oing to happen before it comes to fruition, so if you can plz give us some more hints clues, if you have any....

Your thoughts on Rosell?

Reply #180576 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Love to see him back. The guy is all guts..... unlikely that it would happen IN MY OPINION.

I know nothing of what is going to happen there as far as the roster goes, at this stage. I dare say, after signing Goorj, they probably don't know yet either.

The only signed players are Ingles, Herbert, Horvath (naturalised) and Burston.

They have a LOT of space to look at a LOT of options.

That's all I know at the moment.

Reply #180581 | Report this post

Signed or not signed ...Are you sure that Horvarth is going to Dragons and not further west ?

Reply #180584 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Horvath was named in the press conference as a confirmed player for next season.

That's all I know.

Do I care if someone else takes him? No, not really. Unless he gets re-rated after being naturalised.

AS an 7-8 point Aussie player OK.....As a 10 point Yank or Aussie, no thanks.

Reply #180594 | Report this post

joker  
Years ago

Dragons plenty of money Goorj always goes to programs that can buy what he wants.This will be no different so bottom to the finals is going to happen.They will have plenty of name players and heaps of talent.Dont be surprised to see there 2 imports off the bench like Sydney this year due to Aussie talent.Only question is why did they let Holmes go?Seems obvious not rated by Goorj

Reply #180640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

was signing with adelaide well before goorj signed with them.

Reply #180643 | Report this post

joker  
Years ago

Yeh like they just signed Goorj you dont think this deal was done months ago?If you do you are a believer of all teams are under the cap

Reply #180657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

logic says that is not so.

Reply #180659 | Report this post

Astor 12  
Years ago

Joker, what's your problem? Looked at signing Beveridge, you complained. Signed Ninnis, you complained. Let Ng go, you complained. Then Holmes isn't good enough for Goorjian, but you hate on Goorjian anyway. Go figure. Never seen you offer any insight about actual player ability or breakdown of a game so it seems you don't know much about basketball itself. Is this all because your lovely Phil couldn't keep his job?

Reply #180662 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Could be that Goorjian has other plans for the Dragons - e.g., Worthington.

Plus they already have Ingles at SF and Burston and Horvath at C. Oh well, either way, we've got him back and at a time when there aren't heaps of decent SF free agents that would suit us.

Reply #180663 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:53 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754