Anonymous
Years ago

Funny Official: 36ers sign Jacob Holmes

Its now a done deal!

Topic #15288 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti:

ADELAIDE has signed 2002 NBL championship back-up forward Jacob Holmes to a three-year contract.

Holmes, 24 and 198cm, played 150 NBL games with the 36ers before crossing to Melbourne to join the new South Dragons franchise for the 2006-07 season.

New Sixers coach Scott Ninnis said Holmes, a dual Woollacott Medallist (2003-04) with Eastern and MVP of its 2004 CABL championship outfit, "fit the bill" with his work ethic, defence and rebounding in the type of player Adelaide is seeking.

The roster now is Brett Maher, Brad Davidson, Adam Ballinger, David Cooper and Holmes, with Julius Hodge actively being pursued to return next season.

Full article from Boti

Reply #180564 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I wonder if he may also be our new captian? or at least been told he will be the following season if Maher steps down.

Reply #180568 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Surprise!!!! :-)

Reply #180569 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

Good news. Now for Hodges John Handcock

Reply #180570 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

Sigh.

I'm still clinging to the hope that it's an April Fools joke.

Reply #180572 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

Its after 12 O'clock - Jokes are all over.

Reply #180573 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

James - what would your alternative plan have been? The local SF market appears to be mostly limited to Holmes, Vukona and mega-expensive Worthington unless there are other options who've stuck their hands up.

If they can get Hodge and Schenscher, for example, that roster would start to look OK.

Reply #180574 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I think Holmes is a great pick up, should provide us with some good defence and rebounding and 10-15 points per game, also fills our major weakness of the past 2 seasons at SF.
How many aussie SF's are better than Holmes, the main ones i can think of are Mackinnon, Wortho, Barlow, Saville and not many others so i would have holmes in my top handfull of aussie SF's and he would probably have come cheaper than the others also.
The fact he is a SA local is a bonus and hopefully he will remain a 36ers for the next 5-10 years.
I think the roster is looking good so far

At worst i think we would come up with

C Cooper/??Dodman
PF Ballinger/???Mottram or Dench
SF Holmes/?? Gerlach or Hill
SG Import (Hodge)/???Burdon
PG Maher/Davidson
Even if you filled the back up forwards with ABA rookies i think that is a upgrade on last season and should have us in the playoffs especially if Hodge comes back, if we get Hodge back i think he alone would put us into the top 4-6 with a full season of him playing. If we are able to add Schenscher even better, i think things are looking up for the 36ers, good to add a good starting level aussie each season, last season Davidson, this season Holmes and maybe Schenscher, and the following season with Ballinger naturalising should allow us to have an extra import, i think the next few seasons should bring some good teams and exciting times for the 36ers

Reply #180575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that lineup would get smashed johnno
something like

C:Schench/Cooper
PF:Ballinger/Mottram
SF:Jacob/Sign midseason a solid SF even a newson type could help
SG:Hodge/Maher/Kersten
PG;Maher/Davidson

Reply #180580 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

What if we signed Ellis as an import. Can play as an undersized centre, PF, maybe SF? Small, but gives his all every game..

Ellis/Cooper
Ballinger/ Mottram?
Holmes/ (drawing a blank here...)
Maher/ Burdon
Davidson/ Kersten? Zorich?

Bit light at the guards, but Burdon can step up IMO in Ng's absence.

Reply #180583 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why not wait on Hodge if he's even a long shot?

Reply #180587 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I would definatly hold out as long as possible on Hodge, atleast another month or so, as i dont think you could get a better import than him and would be lucky to find one who brings all the things he does to the table, so id wait on Hodge, if Hodge doesnt return id rather see guys like Groves, Ere, Dave Thomas or even Farley looked at than Ellis as i think we need a SG who can also play minutes in the PG and/or SF roles. Not saying Ellis is a bad player but i dont think we need him with Ballinger and Holmes signed.

Reply #180588 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Burnt by last year I guess Isaac, we all know what happened when we waited....Yeah we got Hodge, but if we had acted earlier....

Was just putting it out there I guess, love the way Ellis plays..

Reply #180589 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Same. I reckon Josh Pace is a SF version of that and would've been useful if we had, say, Newley but not Holmes.

Reply #180595 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

I wish we still had NG!

Reply #180624 | Report this post

ballin is life  
Years ago

what are the realistic chances of big Luke coming to play here in Adelaide??

Reply #180632 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Past record on holding out on a particular player has not gone well for the 36ers. While there are still good free agents about, one should be snapped up straight away instead of waiting for an uncertain player.

Reply #180634 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not when we're discussing Rosell Ellis and we already have two starting forwards.

Reply #180635 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Holmes would be future captain.

Reply #180650 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Holmes should be made captain in my opinion, gives BM the chance to get his body right and worry about his game and not all the running of the team.

36ers should take from the AFL here where a captain in waiting usually gets the title while the current C is still in his last year or two to help groom

Reply #180681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

According to The Advertiser, NZ Breakers are persuading Schenscher

Reply #180685 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They seem to have lost Vukona, so will need to pick up some rebounds from somewhere.

Reply #180691 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Why would you make Hodge captain?

Firstly, Brett is the clear example of what a captain should be, is the example of everything that is required in a club captain whether its on court or off.

Secondly, if Brett wants to reduce his load, why make someone who is really at best, a year to year player captain?

Whilst seeing Hodge perform was one of my highlights last year, i did not see any "captain" type moments, in fact quite the opposite...a pure delight to watch, but very very self focussed.

Thirdly, If you are Holmes..Ballinger etc, what is making Hodge captain going to say to you?

If by some freakish miracle Hodge returns to us (lol, which wont happen coz i remember the posts saying he will ONLY play for Volde hahahaha) but, if he does, then dont weigh him down with captaincy and restrictions etc...let the man peform the way he knows how..pure excitement.

Reply #180742 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

hahaha..oops..misread Holmes as Hodge...please ignore the above. :)

Reply #180744 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Holmes and Hodge playing would be interesting to watch and also there would be some reports getting their names mixed.

Reply #180748 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:07 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754