Anonymous
Years ago

How did the Rookie coaches go?

Was wondering what people thought of Scott Whimore and Wade Hamptons coaching debuts last weekend.

They squared off against each other. Was a high scoring game which Centrals took control of in the second quarter. In fact it was the only quarter centrals won for the game! So what went wrong for eastern in that quarter? I noticed one very strange thing and that was that Hampton played all 12 players, 10 of whom played double digit minutes ( and Younie being 1 of 2 blokes that didn't due to injury). That I can't say that I have ever seen before. Also noticed that Breheny, their only real starter, only played 26mins (a little over half a game)and had 16 and 12 in those minutes. Now i wasn't at the game, but I wouldn't be surprised that he was off for the majority of that 2nd period. Watson too only played 22mins for 18 points?...a little strange too!

Why play so many players in a game that was obviously winable, and a game that if the Mavs are to be any chance of playing finals needed to win? And why did their best player only play half the game when he was doing well against an under sized team? Is it a case of the coach not knowing his players well enough yet to decide who plays and who doesn't. Is he trying to be Mr nice guy and play everone, or has he promised all his recriuts playing time and is just keeping his word? Just didn't seem to add up to me, and for me, Hampton has had a shocking start to his coaching career.

Whitmore too played alot of guys with 9 players getting double digit mins. Seemed to rotate his guards to keep them fresh. They obviously didn't have too much trouble scoring...39 points in a quarter is good no matter how you look at it. Definately won they needed to win..playing the worst team at home, and they did that so he will be pleased. He wouldn't be pleased with giving up over 100 points to that team tho so will be looking for his charges to improve there. A positive start for Whitmore I think, nothing too major, but got one they needed to get.

Any thoughts?

Topic #15297 | Report this topic

Who knows?  
Years ago

Was wondering what people thought or just wanted to say that you thought Hampton did not do a good job? Give him more than one game. Perhaps players skipped training or did not do the whole pre-season. Perhaps Breheny and Watson went to much outside the system and coach showed some balls and benched them. Who knows. I don't. You don't.

Reply #180683 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Or maybe players are coming back from injury and they are eased into a game instead of keeping them on the court and flogging them.
There is also the upside to rotations and keeping players fresh.

Reply #180684 | Report this post

SacredHoops  
Years ago

When Phil Jackson was coaching in the American ABL he had a rotation system where all players received equal court time. He had some success with that system in breaking down the selfish mindset of individual stars trying to get to the next level or trying to prove the should have and could have made it. mmmmmmmmmmmm Eastern?

Reply #180721 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Or maybe the stats, especially minutes, were not accurate. There is already some contention to the accuracy of the rebounds, assists and FG%.

Sturty, whats the upside to keeping players fresh but losing a must-win game? In my day, we played 48 minutes and then wore suit pants and black shoes after the game.

Reply #180758 | Report this post

Mel Gibson  
Years ago

This is the same stadium where Cayla only got 21 rebounds and all at one end of the court... I know the stats were all screwed up for the womens game, so i'd be thinking they were still RS for the fella's game too..?

Hampton will get the best out of these guys - he's a class act, and by hunting Mal Penno to A/C will add some old school smarts and heart to the younger guys can only help this team.

Reply #180962 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:59 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754