Mr packer
Years ago

ABL Results round 2 & 3

South women beat north by 1. Norwood beat eastern by 30 odd. West easy win against woodville. Any other results??

Topic #15331 | Report this topic

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

eastern women heavily undermaned. (the big one cayla included)

Reply #181119 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Sturt women by a lot
Sturt men by a few
Interesting game in the mens that is for sure, will be interesting to see if anything comes of it.

Reply #181121 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Woodville men 10pt winners over West. Both sides had players out injured, so probably not a good indicator for rest of the season.

Reply #181125 | Report this post

Pugsley  
Years ago

North men by 30 over South

Reply #181126 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

Southern men apparently 10 point winners over Forestville!!

Reply #181128 | Report this post

sceptic  
Years ago

did southern unleash the american, or was he still recovering from midweek practice?

Reply #181145 | Report this post

-  
Years ago

Southern very impressive, the surge from the south has begun

Reply #181147 | Report this post

poor eagles  
Years ago

from the sidelines i looks like they don't need the import suiting up, he can keep trimming those sidies! and the waist....
Lalic needs more time in the post - sixers have had him setting screens out in the wings....he has great foot work and needs to keep going baseline - Willie Joseph style!. Get bunghole out in the mid posts and doing his thang - he was great too.
Shane Boal is a menace off the bench and gutsiest guy in the team and can be the barometer
Could tell it was eagles first game - but hearing how much they train and get belted out on the track they should of been in better sync, having Arnold scoring 21 in the first half was scary as their usual scorers hadn't got going but credit to Tiggers guard defence they put the 3 scorers on lock down and til the final siren. Hoban's explosion didn't help - WHAT WAS HE THINKING! Goodenough got under his skin and his chest - goodenough was more than goodenough last night and showed plenty of leadership for the can be looossse TIGGERS, great first home game and good to see Andy giving the refs plenty after the game - class!

Quick question were eagles at full strength?

Reply #181152 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I think there was a stuff up on the stat sheet. They had Bungey down for only three fouls in 30 minutes. I'd like to see that.....

Reply #181155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturty, there was no stuff up, out of the 19 fouls Bungey committed only 3 were called and therfore only 3 on the sheet!

Thought it was pretty ordinary how Goodenough and some of the rest of the tigers were carrying on towards the eagles players. The eagles have belted the Tigers so many times over the years and not once have they rubbed the tigers noses in it. Pity the tigers couldn't just celebrate amoungst themselves. They reminded me of the Indian cricket team.

I know the tigers are not used to winning so they wouldn't know what being a sore winner is but i hope they learn cos teams do NOT forget that sort treatment!

On a lighter note, well done to Ben Hodges on a great carreer and it was good to see him getting a presentation on the night!

Reply #181180 | Report this post

Big Cats  
Years ago

to the last anonymous post... post an alias you clown..

The Southern team, club and staff have been copping it sweet from the arm chair critics for years, especially the last two... they were excited over a big win against a team that beat them by 50+ last year.

No golf claps required it was a gutsy win and they enjoyed the moment, you never know how long it may last.

re: Hobo... last i checked if you get tossed for head butting someone thats an auto report.. Bungey owned him all night and he drpped his bundle..full stop.

Im sure this post will be flamed by all but if you can dish it out then you should pay respect when its due... talking of flames... how did they go today?

Reply #181184 | Report this post

what happened  
Years ago

bluey what happened in the game that makes you say "wonder what will come of it"

Reply #181188 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Seemed that Liam Flynn was blowing up at the umpire, don't know his name. There was 2 techs in the last minute or so on Sturt, one on a player and then one on the bench. Straight after the game Liam stormed over the court to talk to the referee coach. Meanwhile umpire who gave out the tech was happily talking to the player who got the tech - obviously about the call. Liam storms back across the court to drag the player away from the umpire.

There was a total of 4 techs called during the game, one early because a Centrals player disputed a call - don't know what he said - but he was benched for the rest of the game, team rules?? Then Bowley dropped the f-bomb he got a tech and then the 2 in the last minute or so.

Wasn't the best umpired game, I thought it was fairly consistent ie they didn't call fouls at either end.

I think Liam must've thought he got the raw end of the deal, but I think Liam needs to focus on the fact that when his team is pressured they cough up the ball too much. If Centrals had stuck with a man to man defence the whole night they would have rolled Sturt, Sturt couldn't handle that pressure, but Centrals couldn't maintain the pressure.

Oh and the same umpire kicked out a spectator, well got the game commissioner to do it. I wasn't sitting close to hear what was going on, but it was a Centrals supporter sitting in the front row, right near a in bounds pass.

Oh despite the name I am not a Sturt supporter, not a Centrals supporter just miss my basketball and I only live around the corner, so I strolled down to have a look.

Reply #181204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

re Hobo.... that was not a head butt!

Reply #181206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HAve got no problem with teams celebrating a good win, but no need to talk it up to the opposition players..... pretty lame! They are a young team, but still they should know better!

Reply #181207 | Report this post

Impressed  
Years ago

If you saw the way the Rockets played this weekend, other teams should be concerned. This weeks game North v Forestville should be a beauty!

Reply #181209 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Come on Southern supporters, get on here and talk it up!!! Two huge wins over two top 3 teams in Forestville and Norwood! Held both teams to 70 points, that's a great defensive job. I can't believe there isn't hundreds of southern posts on here about their weekend, you really should celebrate it while you can!

Reply #181211 | Report this post

The Facts  
Years ago

Bluey,

Liam didnt get a tech - Vaughn (who got the first tech) got a second tech as he was subbed off (which meant it was a bench tech).

After the game Liam went over to the umpire educator to request a meeting after the game - since they had the same umpire the next day it probably made sense for all concerned (coach, educator, referee) to sort out what the issues were that led to so many techs being called (he even said to me he didnt have an issue with the calling of the game because they were letting it go both ways).

Apparanetly this meeting did occur, issues were sorted out and the next day it was smooth sailing between all parties.

And as for the after match - he dragged the afortmentioned player away from the ref because of the potential for that siutation to turned "pearshaped" (e.g. player who got two techs with a referee who blew 4 techs and ejected a spectator - a recipe for disaster no matter how "friendly" it might have looked).

Agreed on the turnovers - the Sabres made too many and will need to address that if they are going to compete against the top teams.

Reply #181214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The umpire i believe was Tristan? Worst ref in the comp! Is on a massive power trip!

Reply #181219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As another person at the game sitting near it, the reason the spectator got ejected from the centrals game was because he said something totally inappropriate to the female ref, when Tristan told the bloke to keep his mouth shut, the spectator called him a dick head it might have been f-head, I couldn't quite hear it. So I think Tristan did the right thing actually in this case.

I don't know what was said in the final 2 techs, but i am pretty sure if u drop the f-word it is a tech, so that covers the first 1 on sturt. The one of the centrals lad was a bit quick, but he was told to be quiet and he continued to carry on - he was stupid and deserved it for that alone.

Reply #181232 | Report this post

F@$&  
Years ago

I think calling tech fouls at the senior ABL level for swearing is ludicrous. I have been told that this is apparently a "point of emphasis" this year. Who decides what these points are? Do the coaches have any input in this?

Players swear all the time and if this rule is to be enforced there are going to be a lot of unhappy players and coaches.

Swearing at officials is a different story and should not be tolerated but at team mates or swearing at oneself - is it really worth a Tech?

Reply #181237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately there are three refs in this comp that are policemen. All three are on massive power trips. Durant was a good ref, now he is a cop and is far too ahead of himself. And why was there a Southern Tiger player(lower div player) umpiring a southern game on saturday night...conflict of interest I believe....and it showed!!!!!!!!

Reply #181238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is a point of emphasis as distributed by the NBL and has been adopted for ABL this season. If the swearing is deemed to be audible by spectators it is an automatic technical foul.

Reply #181242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh, and the points of emphasis document is distributed to all clubs and referees before the season begins, so the coaches and players should be aware of what is acceptable and what is not.

Reply #181243 | Report this post

;';  
Years ago

I beleive the AFL also have a no swearing at the Umpires now and i think it is a good thing.

Reply #181251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, but the pronlem is that the refs are not consistant on calling techs for swearing. Players will swear all game, and then out of the blue the ref will call a tech for swearing. Either call all of them or none of them....pretty easy to work out which choice is the right one.....refs suck so f#@cking much its not funny!!!!!!!

Reply #181252 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I, for many years used to be critical but have now realised we should be grateful for what we have. Without them we can't play and to cop the abuse the way they do and keep coming back for more shows to me they do it for the love of the game. You certainly wouldn't do it for the money! Players have good and and bad games, coaches have good and bad games and the refs are no different. A little bit of tolerance and understanding please. (F*ck me, I never thought I'd be saying this, must be growing up.)

Reply #181255 | Report this post

H2H  
Years ago

"Southern Tiger player(lower div player) umpiring a southern game on saturday night...conflict of interest I believe....and it showed!"

Are you serious?

You cant be serious... that game was exciting and entertaining for spectators and players alike. Whilst there were some heated moments it never boiled over too far.

Yes Bungey got upset at times but it was pretty clear DMT was playing the man not the ball.

The referee's had no impact on that game at all.

Any time a team is held to 26pts in a half they are going to struggle to get the W, it happened plenty of times to the Tigers for the past 4 years.. this time it was their opposition in the eagles ( and also the Flames on sunday )

Reply #181259 | Report this post

don't think so  
Years ago

H2H, ill bite. DMT was not playing the man! Ask Bungey...DMT hardly went near him all night as he was guarding Lalic. Maybe one or two bumping the cutters but nothing that had any real effect on anything. Dougie had a couple of words to say to Brad when Bungey gave Sullivan a cheap shot but that was as close as they got. Dougie didn't have a great night along with the rest of his team mates, but he certainly didn't play the man! He only had 2 fouls one was a loose ball and I can't remember the other. If anything, Dougie along with the other Forestville bigs did the exact opposite...didn't play nearly hard enough(not by his/their own standards) and probably should have gotten alot more physical with Bungey and Lalic as they tigers bigs clearly had the better of them, as they seem to have had with Norwood aswell!

Reply #181277 | Report this post

Pure Baller  
Years ago

Us boys down at tigerland aren't getting too far ahead of ourselves.... We are bloody pumped after a few big wins and there is some high fives and booty slappin going down but we know it means nothing unless we in the top 5 after 18 games... 15 to go still! Plus cockiness leads to one becoming complaisant, so the feet have to stay on the ground!

Wont deny we are happy thus far tho... Winning does feel better than losing! :)

Reply #181279 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:13 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754