Bo Hamburger
Years ago

Watch NBA season in same time it takes to play?

Something I was thinking about on the weekend: could you watch the entire NBA season in the time it takes to play the NBA season?

You've got a magic box attached to your telly that pulls in every game played and stores it. Could you watch all the games by the time you sat down to watch the last game of the Finals?

Some arbitrary ground rules I came up with:

- You have to watch every second of on-court action in real-time (not fast-forwarded or skimmed through), which means things like foulshots, etc. But not time-outs or quarter-time/half-time breaks.

- For a more authentic viewing experience, you have to watch two games live every night, presumably an early one from the East Coast and a late one from the West Coast.

- Six hours of sleep (ie non-watching) allocated per 24 hours.

- Yes, every game: that Knicks-Heat game has to be watched just as much as a Lakers-Suns game.

I'm not sure how many games in total are played in the NBA each season (obviously depends on how long playoff series' go) but say if you could watch each taped game in 90 minutes, and the live ones take 3 hours each, could it be done?

(The question of should it be done can be left for another time!)

Topic #15344 | Report this topic

Disco  
Years ago

I love this idea, can I be the one to do it! I think you would fit all the games, probably go mad. I reckon whoever did this though should get to select all the award winners, MVP ROY MIP as they have seen all the footage!

Reply #181205 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

That sounds like a question for spreahsheet man.

For ease of calculation I've excluded finals from my calculation in order to get a ball park picture on feasibility and to determine whether a finals calc is required or whether a conclusion can be drawn without one.

Assumptions:
Teams 28

Games 72

Total games per season 1008 (each game has 2 teams so the total games played is 28 x 72 / 2)

Average Watching Time: 1 hour 20 mins (perhaps a little generous but I'm assuming after that many straight hours you might not be too alert with the remote control - and this leaves a little wiggle room for OT games)

Total Time (in hours): 1345 (approx)

Number of 18 hours days required to view: 75 (approx)

Conclusion: As the NBA season runs for considerably longer than 75 days it is therefore concluded that this stunt can be done.

Now the debate begins of whether it should be done.

Reply #181294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

82 games?

Reply #181298 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Ah, yes, good spot, I thought 72 didn't seem quite right.

This works out to about 86 days required, still very do-able.

Reply #181311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about a full time worker? Could they watch it while getting home at 6pm, sleeping from midnight til 6am, leaving for work at 8am...

So allow one hour in evening and morning for meals, getting ready etc.

Six hours of viewing each work day, 15 hours viewing on weekends (six hours sleep, three "meal/have a life" hours.

Reply #181332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually, just realised that would be no chance. Ignore that question!! :)

Reply #181333 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Billo, well done for taking the time on such a frivolous question.

I reckon you've got to watch those live games each day: one of the main reasons we love watching sport, and live sport in particular, is that they are soap operas where the outcome isn't known or guaranteed.

So that's 2 x 3 hours a day = 6 hours on live games. Add that to 6 hours sleep, and half the day is gone.

Is 12 hours a day to watch all the taped games going to be enough? Should toilet breaks/food breaks/any other type of break be factored in?

The answer to the question of 'Should it be done?' is undoubtedly 'yes', and I smell a reality show or maybe even Supersize Me-style doco film:

- Man embarks on mission to watch every single game in NBA season before season concludes

- Funniest scene comes early on as man breaks the news to significant other and then lamely attempts to defend importance of task at hand

- Immediate cut to comatose-looking man staring vacantly at telly as TV announcer bellows: 'TONIGHT'S BIG GAME: GRIZZLIES V KINGS!' followed by immediate cut to wife a) having affair with man's best mate b) dumping that night's untouched meal in rubbish c) falling from roof while attempting to sever cable/antennae connection d) all of the above.

Reply #181346 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Bo, I obviously missed the significance of the live game requirement first time round (I was just too eager to lauch into the spreadsheet apparently). So, assuming no breaks (realistically I think these can be factored in to the 90 allocated minutes per taped game, it doesn't take that long when you fast forward through everything) in an 18 hour day the keen viewer can fit in:

- 2 x 3 hour live games (again, a very generous time allocation but I'm assuming pre-game is required to add to the soap opera drama) totalling 6 hours

- plus 8 x 90 minute recorded games totalling 12 hours

- resulting in a grand total of 10 games per day

There are occassions when they play 10 NBA games in a day, but more often than not they play fewer than this. By these calcuations it would take 114 days to watch at entire regular season. Reasonably comfortable.

By far a more interesting prospect is whether a worker could achieve this amazing feat. Let's assume based on the numbers given they manage 8 hours a day during the week and 15 per day on the weekend, this equates to 70 hours per week, or an average of 10 hours per day. Assuming the 2 live game requirement still exists this means the viewer needs 243 days to complete a regular season. The current season lasts for 169 days so this suggests this option is not viable.

HOWEVER, should the live game requirement be lifted the spreadsheet suggests it will take 170 days to watch each and every game. In a 169 game season. Very tight indeed. I think there's only 1 way to settle this, any one got Morgan Spurlock's number?

(Mod: Nice, re Spurlock. Isn't he off looking for bin Laden?)

Reply #181440 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Hi all!

I have found in the past a graph/picture which illustrated the allocation of time per NBA game but I do not remember in which site.

For example the fan spends 3.5 hours in the stadium.

pre-game 30 minutes
the real-time of the game 2 hours
and 1 hour for shopping in the stadium ect

Has anyone seen this pic? Or knows where I can find this picture/data?

Thanks

Reply #237212 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:28 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754