The_Champ33
Years ago

Grizzard to Tigers

I read on the gaze.com.au site that Grizzard is leaving the Slingers and coming to play for the Melbourne Tigers. He'll be replacing Lampley.

If Lampley leaves the NBL, Sammy Mac won't be able to fight him in a re-match.

Also the Tigers are going to try for Hodge if DT retires and moves back to the USA. Terrible news for us 36ers fans.

CJ Bruton and the Wildcats are expected to annouce his signing in a few days time. He's leaving the Bullets due to the Ownership issues.

Your thoughts people.

Topic #15353 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

Why do people have this impression that if Melbourne bids for Hodge that we can match or better it?

Reply #181262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not saying your wrong skip (infact im sure your right) but WHY aren't the Sixers able to match the Tigers in a bidding war?

Reply #181266 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Coz we stick to reality and dont have a squad that is twice the league salary cap.

Reply #181268 | Report this post

Grizzard is an excellent player and would be a great pick up for the Tigers. Not good news for Slingers.

Reply #181272 | Report this post

joker  
Years ago

Joey Wright to coach Wildcats,Bruton to Wildcats.Hodge to Tigers they have been talking with him for ages.Just wondering though how come when the other coach was there it was bad recruiting now its reality we dont have the money any thoughts?

Reply #181276 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Tigers today resigned corletto and signed up 212cm centre, 19 year old Daniel johnson

Reply #181280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

joker, are you still going on about him? he's history. move into today!

Reply #181283 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

so that leaves the tigers with....

Anstey 10/Johnson 1 or 3?
Grizzard 10/Sturt 1
Hodge 10/Hoare 9
barlow 8/Greer 4
Crosswell 8/Corletto ?

Signed:

10 Anstey
9 Hoare
8 Barlow
8 Crosswell
4 Greer
1 Sturt
? O'Hea (* not on the points list)

so adding Grizzard, Hodge, Johnson who was signed as well as corletto is their 10 players

They have a lack fo Points guards in that system but I guess Barlow and Hodge will run the point when Crosswell is off.

Reply #181285 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Kent, reality means falling below the top 8. Reality is not what the fans want. They want a club that can be competitive both on and off the court. I'm sure the owner also wants a team that can lift above the 8th position. Any money spent on putting a team together that won't make the finals, is money that could be saved altogether and not bother having a team in Adelaide. Its like buying a pair of shoes that are 2 sizes too small simply because it was cheaper. How much value will you get when you can't wear them? If it takes spending over the cap, then let it be. Its not as though the NBL is policing it that thoroughly. If they were, it wouldn't be happening and the championship winners would not be necesarily the ones that spent more. With recent financial problems associated with a few clubs in the NBL, I feel Adelaide could survive the practices that have seen them collapse. Adelaide has a strong fan base that increases with the success of the club. With success comes an increase in sponsorship as well. Money makes money.

Reply #181288 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

EC you been advising Eddy ?

Reply #181289 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

No

Reply #181300 | Report this post

Tommy  
Years ago

Looking forward to Grizz coming to the Tigers. Andrew said the other day that he would be a good replacement for Lamp and he put up good numbers for the Slingas last season.
how good is this lineup???

Ansty
Grizzard
Barlow
DT
Crosswell

Corletto
Hoare
Dillon
Johnson
Greer

Another championship in tha making

Reply #181315 | Report this post

duh!  
Years ago

oh please tommy, you team got GIVEN that championship.... by refs who couldn't even officiate an u9's game properly!
on another note, i heard anstey was to go to the kings.
what's that about?

Reply #181317 | Report this post

duh!  
Years ago

oh please tommy, you team got GIVEN that championship.... by refs who couldn't even officiate an u9's game properly!
on another note, i heard anstey was to go to the kings.
what's that about?

Reply #181318 | Report this post

duh!  
Years ago

(sorry for the double post?)

Reply #181319 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tommy, I don't think that's a championship team - bench is a bit weak. You've basically given up DMac and Stiff for two rookies, while Grizzard might bring better chemistry than Lampley, I don't think his production would be that much better.

Reply #181321 | Report this post

Tommy  
Years ago

The fact is thee almighty tigers won tha championship. Get ova it!
This team is going places...only threats wil be Perth and Dragons with coach Goorj and the rest of his kings there with him

Reply #181323 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

EC - and what is the point of buying really really expensive shoes that fit great and look great if you have Zero money to afford to go anywhere in them?

I cant understand how you of all people are advocating cheating by spending over the cap.

Hopefully Mal is thinking long term and running the Sixers as a viable business. If he isnt then the club will go through the same crap many others are going through at the moment when the money inevitably runs out

Reply #181328 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Statman - I agree. Push the cap a bit to compete, but no point blowing it away if you can't sustain the business - financial dramas will spook and lose players to other teams (watch what happens to Brisbane, for example).

Reply #181329 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Speaking of i wonder if Adelaide is being hampered in their recruiting ny the "Groves Effect."

Players are pulling out of Vegas as they aren't goping to see the under thetable money owed to them any time soon and there is no news on ownership.

If you were a prospective buyer of the Bullets wouldn't you want the high paid players to leave of their own accord so that there is less value in the team.

Reply #181336 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Also less valuable product being bought though - depends whether they want to start small and build it back up, or step in with something ready to go.

Shouldn't really impact Adelaide unless they try to snatch a Bullet. Otherwise, let Perth and the Melbourne teams buy up the Mackinnons and Brutons and saturate their points caps.

Reply #181337 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

On a side note, how can Hoare be worth 9 points??? Is that correct? I would have thought he would've been rated about a 6 and wouldn't he be eligible for some sort of loyalty discount?

Reply #181354 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Been watching much NBL recently? Hoare was hitting at some ridiculous percentages early in 07/08 especially and is very efficient. Should be an 8 or 9 (and he gets a deduction of 1, to 8, I believe) when you consider that Corletto is a 6, Barlow, Ng and Gibson are all 8s.

Dench was rated a 7 I think, and Hoare is quite a lot better than he was in 07/08, and on a championship team too.

Reply #181358 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Yeah I have and I still don't think he is a 9 point player! I would be horrified if the Sixers waisted 9 points on signing him!

Reply #181374 | Report this post

duh!  
Years ago

tommy, we are over it, so stop bringing it up all the time.
you're the one that isn't over it, and won't let the rest of us not have to keep hearing it from you all the time!
follow your own advice! haha
kent, if i was buying, i wouldn't want to buy a team where all the decent players had left- it's more drama and outlay and it might be too much politics for a new owner to have to frigg around with.
i think the fact that the players are being kept in the dark (or so they claim) is adding to the problems for a buyer to be found, because they don't even know what roster they're gonna be buying!
i'd want to know all that before i buy, and the stories are changing nearly day by day.
players are venting on their sites, or they're shutting them down, newspaper articles on the occasions when we get them are grim, some of the stuff some of the players are saying about the internal workings of the team are rubbish, but i can somewhat understand where they're coming from- i guess they're just acting out, coz they don't know what else to do, but in part, it's discrediting themselves which may not look all that impressive to a buyer- a team that went from external factors causing all this, (groves' finances) to a team that's now not getting along very well and it's every man for themselves.
they're imploding, and it sucks, coz them having a common goal was the main thing that was gluing them together despite all this, and it's now well and truly unravelling them, like a band-aid that's getting pulled off hair by hair....

Reply #181379 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's not Tommy - it's another user being an idiot and pretending to be Tommy. If they keep doing it, they will be blocked.

Reply #181383 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

duh!
I think you will find that these players have already gone

Bruton
Bradshaw
Boucher
Rychart
Mac
Gibson

Leaves

Hill
Brown
Williamson
Ere although there is a big question mark over him too.

So you could day that the starting five has moved on and only the lesser bench players remain.

So what is Eddy selling? No one contracted as Eddy is in breach from what i understand by not paying players their money.

Bullets will be this years Slingers. No squad to play until a few weeks before the seasons start.

If i was looking at buying i would wait until the last minute as Eddy will have to take a lesser figure or be faced with trying to put a bunch of ABA players together and cover the cost of the season.

Then you could adapt next year without the start up cost of big contracts to pay out on.

Reply #181391 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ere going to Sydney?

And potential new owners for Brisbane are said to be a group of three guys with no prior experience owning a basketball franchise. Finalising stuff now if you believe the rumour.

Big challenge rebuilding the roster.

Reply #181395 | Report this post

duh!  
Years ago

ere was the first to say he wasn't happy with the money here and wants to try europe and nba summer camp- that was before all this edd stuff started, so no surprises to who we are looking at being left with at this point in time- none of those names surprise anybody in brisbane- we knew it as of last week or the week before last.
eddy's not in breach- the players are getting paid until june which is what he's responsible for.
as for people with no prior knowledge in running a team, i don't think anybody's put off by that, because firstly, it could be a breath of fresh air instead of the fat cats who've played and still living in the past and believe they have nothing left to learn- we're all for new blood if it helps.
second, we have bigger fish to fry in that if we don't have a team whatsoever, then the fact that they're new to the game won't even factor if there's no club to run.
the situation is far from ideal and i wouldn't wish it on anybody, but we have to prioritise our problems right now.

Reply #181405 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Was just passing it on as information, not as a significant problem.

Reply #181407 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:08 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754