Isaac
Years ago

Dragons confirm Worthington signing

Three year deal for Wortho to play at the Dragons:

The Crazy John's South Dragons today announced the recruitment of one of the biggest names in the NBL, with former Kings star Mark Worthington signed to the club to the end of the 2010/11 season.

Worthington joins the Dragons on the back of an outstanding year with the Sydney Kings in which he averaged 17.2 points, 6.5 rebounds and 2.6 assists.

Dragons snare Worthington

Topic #15362 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

look out. Tigers, dragon, cairns.

Reply #181375 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Dunno about the rest of you. But even as a Sixers fan, Im really excited about the first Dragons v Tigers game next season.

Reply #181376 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Same here. The Melbourne rivalry will go some way towards rejuvenating the NBL, at least in that city. It's what was needed in Sydney these last few years.

I know Adelaide NBL fans rubbish the notion of success in Sydney solving problems, but IMO the key is two strong teams in Sydney. You have to wonder if artificially propping up both the Kings and Pigs (good marketing plus quality rosters with controversial and entertaining players) couldn't being some big derbies, media interest and thus corporate support from the head offices there.

Reply #181377 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'm looking forward to the Melbourne rivalry also. It will definitely generate interest.

Reply #181378 | Report this post

Cha - Ching  
Years ago

350K thanks very much!

Owners will never learn.

Reply #181381 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Why is it that any team BG goes to become a power w signing free agents

Reply #181386 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Good coach = players want to play for good coach.

Need to remember that following the Beijing Olympics, Goorj is stepping down as Boomers coach so it is not about chasing a Boomers singlet.

Reply #181387 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kriss, good, respected coach, plus now has Cowan's money backing up as well.

Reply #181394 | Report this post

joker  
Years ago

Good coach but the bottom line is Dragons have plenty of cash.

Reply #181420 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

well i am making a stand, let it be known..I will not be playing for the dragons next year!

Reply #181423 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

You tell 'em me.

So does this mean Wortho is Goorj's new Smith?

Reply #181427 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

There's enough excitement in this team now to make Crazy John himself rise from the dead.

Reply #181441 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

XY, I reckon Wortho will still head to Europe after a year or two. Surprised he didn't do it this year - maybe we underestimated the amounts of money that teams are still willing to throw around?!

Reply #181480 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Found it amusing last night that when the presented the story on Sports Tonight they had the caption of "Mark Worthington- Melbourne Tigers player" on the screen!! Lol...

Reply #181539 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:16 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754