I love ABL
Years ago

Funny Big weekend in ABL

Well this double header weekend promises to be a biggy with plenty of good match ups. I am interested in 3 teams in particular this weekend... Southern, West and Forestville.

Southern was the leagues big mover last weekend with two big wins, but I am interested to see if they can now back up those two wins. They play West which is a pivitol game becasue West were the team that people believe could and maybe stlii can make a run for the title, but who now seem to be the team that one of the bottom teams could replace in last years top 5. A win here for the tigers would go along way to them grabbing a top 5 spot. It would put Tigers at 4-0 and west at 0-4. 4 games is alot of ground to make up so West will be desparate to get this one! Looking forward to the Crusher vs Bungey match up. Bungey has been the in form big man of the competition with 36 rebounds last weekend, but if anyone can put him off his game it would be Crusher. Also the young guard match ups will be good to watch with Spud and Craddock going up against Boal and Braithwaite.

Southerns other game is against a Puddifoot injected centrals. Centrals is sitting at 1-2 with a chance gone begging last weekend against a depleated Sturt line up. With Southern the favouirte team to break into the 5, Centrals would be the next best bet, but early wins are crucial. With Southerns great start, Centrals will need to get this one in order to close the gap on the tigers, and set up a series winning margin if possible as it could come down to that by the end of the minor round. Puddifoot has picked a handy time to start(although last week would have been better) since they also have Norwood. Both Norwood and Southern are deep in the big man department, one area where centrals are thin and where Puddifoot is most needed. Clarke gets to play against his old side and he will be hoping to do what Gerlach and the Eagles couldn't and thats to get one up on his former team mates. Parker agaisnt Smith will be a good match up to watch, as will Clarke and Goodenough. But most importantly the Lions will need to find away to break even on the boards if they are to be any chance.

In my opinion, if Southern are good enough to get both of these wins this weekend against the two teams that will be challenging them the most(apart from the big 4 teams) for a finals berth, then they are all but in the top 5. Big weekend for the tigers!

West are in trouble. They have as I said a must win game against the tigers. A loss here and they almost turn into that team that can only annoy the other teams who are fighting for the best possible spot they can get in the top 5. Hopefully for them they get some personnel back this week. Pearce and Mann I hear are not far which would help, but they really need another big to help them combat the bigs of Southern.

Their other game is against South. Maybe a win against their old foe is exactly what they need to kick start heir season, but i wouldn't count on that one being easy. South are coming off a good win against the Warriors, and almost knocked off the in form tigers in round 1 so they will be no walk over. South have struggled with consistancy for the last 10 years(havn't made the finals since 1999!), but this weekend is a great opportunity for them to get two wins in a weekend to make it 3 on the trot and a 3-2 record. With the eagles, Norwood and Sturt still to play in the first round, South will know that wins this weekend sets them up nicely to have a crack at the top teams and in turn the finals. One would think they will fall a game or 3 short again, but who knows, but certainly this weekend is huge for them, and must fancy themselves agaisnt the depleated bearcats. McKenzie and Pilkington should get the better of Crusher and Davis, but do they have the speed to control Spud in the open court. The Panthers will need to find a solution for that, cos if they can keep him quiet the game is just about theirs.

If west are any chance at all this year they will need at least 1 win this weekend, if not they go 0-5 and will need to go 10-3 for the rest of the season....doubtful!

Now the Eagles are an interesting one. This weekend I think will let us know if they are contenders or pretenders. With a loss against Southern...a team most people expected them to get by 20-30, and then a win against a very tired and depleated west team, its a bit hard to see where they are, but with North and Sturt this weekend, i'm sure we will have a better sense. Pivitol weekend for thre eagles. 2 wins means 3-1, 2 losses means 1-3 and struggling.

Firstly North. Now the eagles havn't beaten North since 2006 inlcuding 4 ABL games last year(2 regular and 2 finals), also North beat the eagles in their last regular season game of 2006, plus 2 blitz games and summer game so your looking at about 8 games in a row now so the eagles will be keen to end that run. Burdon is the form player of the competition and he also killed the eagles in the 2007 prelim with 36 points. The eagles will be hoping recruit Gerlach will be able to do a job on burdon. Zorich and Sutton will be a great matchup. The match up between Oakley and Mapunda/ Reardon I think will have a huge bearing on the outcome...North has the edge in quickness here, but eagles have the size advantage. Whoever can use their edge to their advantage better could win the game. Probably game of the round North will be looking to put some space between themselves and the Eagles.

Then up against Sturt on sunday. Not sure if Ng will be back or not, if not Sutton will want to get the better of Vaughn as that would make it very tough for the Sabres. The Dodman/Bowley vs Hoban/Mac-Taylor match up could be a firery one. Gower vs Oakley also one to watch.

Eagles will be keen for back to back wins here and stamp themselves back as one of the favourites...anything else would leave them and everyone else thinking have they had their time?

Great weekend of ball coming up...get out and see a game!

Topic #15379 | Report this topic

Ingles13  
Years ago

A bit off topic, but I saw Darren Ng last night at the service station

Reply #181557 | Report this post

ballin is life  
Years ago

well written ABL Lover!

Reply #181597 | Report this post

pig dog  
Years ago

Bungey out for at least a month with Knee injury. may need surgery.

big loss for tigers, better match ups for this weekends opposition

Reply #181604 | Report this post

H2H  
Years ago

Rubbish.

Bungey will play.

Reply #181617 | Report this post

ballin is life  
Years ago

where'd you hear this from Pig Dog?

Reply #181646 | Report this post

Yeaaaaa boi  
Years ago

Webber back for flames. Look out central ABL

Reply #181652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Webber back for flames. Look out central ABL"

Look out for all the cheap elbows you mean?

Reply #181664 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Look out for loose passes to intercept?

Reply #181670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Yeaaaa boi' did you get up from out of bed at 4am to write that one, or are you in fact Andrew Webber himself, in an airport somewhere on his way back from the States?

Way to pump yourself up. Yeah, everyone is really scared of the one who plays 2-3 mins a game at a div 2 college...trembling. No real point in playing the rest of the season..Norwood have it in the bag!

Reply #181719 | Report this post

People are so mean on this website. He's played college ball, more than 99% of people who post on here have done

Reply #181729 | Report this post

Who Me?  
Years ago

ELG, I have to agree with you. I think it is a symptom of Internet Forums however, as people can say things they wouldn't have the courage to say to people's faces. Have even been guilty of it myself at times.
For that reason mostly negative stuff is posted, because if it was complimentary, you would say that to their face.
So, I'll try and be positive.
I have seen Webber play a number of times over the years through Juniors & Seniors, I felt a bit sorry for him in a way, becuase you could see he was never going to be a big guy, but he does move well without the ball and sets himself to get open looks. If he plays within team structure and doesn't try and force things too much, then he can be a big difference maker for Norwood playing alonsgide Krause, Matthews etc.

Reply #181739 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

A solid PG to back up Toddy, he'll be valuable to Norwood for sure. I, however, just couldn't resist the bait

Reply #181745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can anyone post Webbers college stats on the forum please?? I am interested to see how he went?

Reply #181751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 181789 I dont understand how you can make 2 points that totally contradict each other. How can you say that Norwood have it in the bag and say that Webber doesnt need to come back. Norwood will only 'have it in the bag' if he plays because at present there is only one guard at norwood. Bell has shown that he is totally washed up. He will play solid minutes with Matthews both as point guards like they did last year.

Anon 181751 If you are that interested you would have been following it throughout the year. Dont make an excuse to hang more shit on someone.

Reply #181755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry anon 181755 I dont even know what college he went to which makes it tough to follow? Is he going back next year?

I dont even know the kid just interested to see how he went OS? Didnt mean to embarrass anyone. His stats cant be that bad can they? It takes guts just to leave your parents behind and give it a try in my opinion. He is already a winner in my book.

Still interested in seeing what his stats were if anyone knows where to find them please.

Reply #181758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Try this link

http://www.athletics.armstrong.edu/basketball/mbkb0708stat.html

Reply #181762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

181758...ever heard of sarcasm?

Reply #181803 | Report this post

Haha  
Years ago

Sunday night could be interesting....
Yeaaaaahhhh boi!!!

Reply #181807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bungey out. watch out when hes back in top form

Reply #181902 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:14 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754