ballin is life
Years ago

Same rims in the NBL - yes or no?!?

Watching the NBA, all the rims/backboards are the same. In the NBL every court has a different style to the next one so to speak. IMO there are definitely pro's and con's for having the same rims and not having the same rims around the league.

Just for discussion purposes, What do you think?? Personally i would like to see all courts have the same rims in every stadium.

Topic #15387 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

It's the same hole!

Reply #181704 | Report this post

ballin is life  
Years ago

No shit. But the rims bounce differently. Some rims are thicker than others by the looks of them aka Vodafone arena.

Reply #181706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can I just say that people that start threads like this one need to GET A LIFE. No one cares about the rims, why make an issue of it, just turn ur computer off and go back to playing playstation.

Reply #181747 | Report this post

ballin is life  
Years ago

i don't actually own a playstation so i cant!! it just came to mind and i thought i'd ask what other people think whether they should all be the same or not. Many of the topics started come about when it springs to someone's mind and they put it forward to the Hoops Community to have their say..

If the topic didn't interest you, then DON'T READ IT, let alone write on it.

Reply #181752 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I think it's a good idea, and it is something I have noticed in the past. Not only would it eliminate any home court advantage (which the rings in a pro league shouldn't really give), but it would look a lot more professional to have everything in sync.

Reply #181757 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

181747...unneccessary, if you are not interested..just pass it by.

I actually prefer that there is a difference, makes for more excitement and a talented coach can play to their home rims.

vi la difference.

Reply #181763 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

anonymosome number _ "Can I just say that people that start threads like this one need to GET A LIFE. No one cares about the rims, why make an issue of it, just turn ur computer off and go back to playing playstation".

Can i just say that people who respond to threads by telling them they need to GET A LIFE clearly have to much time on their hands and should heed their own paltry advice .

Reply #181769 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I like the fact they're non standard, I'm all for home court advantage any way possible. I've heard of run and gun teams using thin nets so they can start their attack that split second faster after the opposition scores, while the grind it out slow it down teams go for thicker nets.

Don't know if they're still there but I reckon the person who chose the nets at St Bernards last time I played there (9 years ago?) must have been about 120 kgs and/or 50+ years old!

Reply #181811 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

St Bernards had a great noise if your shot was all net, but merciless if you missed! And yes, getting your running game going sucked! You had to run at the shot, jump as the ball hit the bottom of the net so it didn't get stuck, knock it through, step out of bounds and pass it!

Didn't the old Boston Celtics teams of the 50's have the greatest home court advantage ever? I believe the fans used to be able to shake the cables attached to the backboard when the opposition were shooting!

I still know all the deadspots at Hillcrest and remember designing half-court traps specifically to channel the ballhandler to the deadspot. Forget 'sideline, baseline', at Hillcrest, aim for the deadspot, wait for the ball to not bounce back and pounce in for an easy steal!

Reply #181815 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The talk of sound there reminds me to ask - do the NBA mic the rings/nets to amplify the sound of a successful shot? They certainly seem to.

Reply #181823 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure they do Isaac.

Sweetest sound there is when it's all net......

Or better with a metal net you get on outside courts, that soft "chink" noise when it's a perfect shot.

Reply #181859 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:27 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754