Quagmire
Years ago

LeBron- Headed to the knicks?

Stop laughing. Think about it.
I said stop laughing.
He is a business man.
The knicks need a king.
Why did he sign on for 3yrs instead of more?
He didn't want to be seen as greedy early in his career by jumping. He wanted to test the franchise to see if they could provide him with;
1/ A big enough marketing profile
2/ A team that could have success and raise his profile.
Please do not post anything about me sledging his dedication, he is massive on dedication, but he is business first just like every other player out there and there is nothing wrong with that. You think the cavs won't trade him for some picks when he's 35? Houston traded Hakeem ffs!
Now when LBJ declines a contract extension.
What do the cavs do?
They will have to trade the best player in franchise history for WAY below market value.
The team that gets him- will have him for one year (which amazingly may be enough) because he has his eyes on the big apple.
Nike has his eyes on the big apple.
Long live the King.
Giggidy.

Topic #15396 | Report this topic

mark  
Years ago

Looks fairly likely that he would head to either the Knicks or the Nets once they've moved to Brooklyn.

Reply #181842 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

he is business first just like every other player out there and there is nothing wrong with that
I have to disagree with that. There can be something wrong with it, and I'd say he's worse than others. If you haven't read about Ira Newble's open letter regarding Darfur, read this article: Gingerly, the Athlete Turns Activist
Newble, a career journeyman and the son of a civil rights activist, made himself an athlete activist during last season's playoffs with the Cleveland Cavaliers. His letter to China's president, Hu Jintao, joined a chorus calling for intervention in the western region of Sudan, the African nation from which China is the leading importer of oil and by extension the financier of weapons used in the slaughter and displacement of non-Arabs.
All his Cavalier teammates signed the letter in support except for LeBron James (Nike have a lot invested in China) and Damon Jones (has a deal with a Chinese shoe company).
"If we can unite people who are willing to take a stand, miracles can happen," [Kobe Bryant] says of stopping genocide in Darfur, on behalf of a Los Angeles-based organization called Aid Still Required.
There's another article about it all here: LeBron is not the Cav you should admire.
All that aside, it's long been suspected that he and the Knicks might be destined to come together.

Reply #181843 | Report this post

Knicks!  
Years ago

Being a life long knicks fan... This trade would make me break down in tears of joy!

Myth or not... It was good to dream about it only if for a few minutes :)

Reply #181846 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

He was originally from New York was he not??

This has been rumoured ever since the Cavs got him..

Jay Z has been in his ear a lot, trying to persuade him to go to Brooklyn..

Reply #181849 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

Meh..it'll be like Michael Jordan going to Washington. Putting a diamond amongst a big pile of shit != a winning combindation.

Reply #181850 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Couldn't agree more Isaac .

There is nothing in Lebron James as a person i admire .
He is an incredible basketballer with a humungous ego and more front than Dolly Parton .
IMO he is epitome of greed and self that is a poor example to future generations .
The way he carries himself on and off the court is all look at ME look at ME . And his little sidestick Damon " i am the greatest shooter ever " Jones probably appeals to him cause they both live in the upper echelon of ego world .
Pumping eachothers worth and Pimping their own earth .

Reply #181851 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

not saying I think Lebron is a good guy or anything... but if your getting paid by the truck load on a daily occasion and being praised by millions of people as the best player, would you not have an ego and be a bit greedy? don't judge him for it unless you have been in his shoes.

Reply #181854 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

LeBron is from Akron in Ohio.

Reply #181855 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Ricey - no doubt the crux of american culture has played it's part in moulding LB but i don't take that as an excuse .

Reply #181857 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

I'd love Lebron to be a Knicks in 2010 and I hope it happens.

However given Jay-Z has ownership in the new Brooklyn Nets team, there is a stronger chance he'll go there due to there friendship.

Reply #181874 | Report this post

Back-up  
Years ago

Isaac,
I think you got Quagmire's point a little wrong there. You quoted Quagmire saying that LeBron is "business first just like every other player out there and there is nothing wrong with that"... and disagreed with it. Then went on to say that LeBron didn't sign the petition because of his connections with Nike. I think that's a little contradictory. He didn't sign the petition coz of his business deals... maybe not every player is business first though.

Reply #181907 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I said there was something wrong in putting business/money first, disagreeing with Quagmire. And then that LeBron didn't sign the letter to China (critical of the Chinese influence in Darfur) because he likely favoured his business interests over the issue of genocide. Where's the contradiction?

Reply #181912 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

I just don't see how people can critisize him for not signing the petition when the people complaining don't do anything themselves. If you want to complain about it then you go put your life up on the chopping block like he would have been doing, cause by backing anything against China he is saying "Hey Nike don't sponsor me", which would result in him losing a massive amount of money just to help make a point about something bad in another country, which will make no difference at all to that problem.
How about instead of always going to fix problems overseas, why don't countries like USA and Australia focus on their own problems, like massive poverty urban cities, or 3rd world conditions in outback Australia.

Reply #181937 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Kobe is sponsored by Nike is he not?

Kobe made a statement regarding it

Even if Nike gave Lebron the Boot, Addidas and Reebok would be on his doorstep in a flash

Put pen to paper you soft bugger

Reply #181952 | Report this post

I didn't see dikembe building a hospital when he'd been in the league for only 4 years, and he's one of the leagues best known philanthropists. maybe lebron is going to build lots of hospitals with all the Nike money. i don't see how anyone can judge him without knowing the full story

Reply #181970 | Report this post

Rod  
Years ago

Good point Fez.. I think with Lebron being the talent that he is, Nike might need him more than he needs them.

Reply #181973 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

and you think that Adidas, or Converse would have the marketing ability of Nike... oh wait, CONVERS IS OWNED BY NIKE... Adidas couldn't sell Kobe's shoes when he was there, then Nike got him and he sold 4 times as many shoes as he did with Adidas. The Kobe speaking out thing had a bit more to do with NBA as a whole aswell, as I am sure it was endorsed by the NBA with their support.

Reply #181974 | Report this post

lebron23  
Years ago

lebron will be a one man team for the rest of his career, lebron wont leave cleveland

Reply #181994 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:30 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754