Isaac
Years ago

Boti re Nash, in the paper today

Article from Boti

Basically says that for Nash to be eligible for the finals, he needs to be fit and playing by January 26. Nashy says that it's a longshot, but he's hopeful. Despite that glimmer of hope, though, there's a chance that he may not play NBL again and obviously that's a possibility he's having to come to terms with. He's doing some light shooting today to see how it feels.

Boti talks about how useful Nash would be in the line-up. Also, that the Sixers do not have any money with which to replace him.

Smyth mentions that Williams should get minutes against Brisbane on the 5th.

"We'll train, then we'll go as a team and watch Lleyton... Lleyton has been a great supporter of ours." Smyth

Topic #1540 | Report this topic

Kriss  
Years ago

Im doubting that nashy will risk his career for the sake of a long shot at making the playoffs.

He is uncontracted next year and should have his focus on getting his back right and healthy again.

Sixers don't sound like they will sign another player to replace him

Reply #17517 | Report this post

Is it possible to put him in the lineup for the January 26 game even if he isn't fit? I mean sit him on the bench, and sub him in with like 10 seconds to go or whatever. Then he gets his 7 games and he will be eligible for the finals.

Reply #17519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey, Im new here. It doesnt look good for Nashy and I would love the sixers to be able to sign someone to help them ala Garrison a few years back but as the article says, we dont have the cash. I like that idea ToR but doubt the club would do it ;)

And what about next year, would it be wise for the club to sign him again. It would be hard letting him go but the club must come first? we can use his contract to sign someone who will be fit. Its unfortunate for nashy but it dont look good. All the best to him tho!!

Reply #17524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PS how can i change my name from anonymous? cheers

Reply #17525 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just put the name you want to use in the "Name" box when you post a topic or reply and it will be remembered for future posts.

"Anonymous" is what shows up if you leave the Name field blank.

Reply #17526 | Report this post

Jimmy  
Years ago

I just noticed that, thanks....had a bit of a brain fart ;) not used to this style of posting!!

Reply #17527 | Report this post

Seb007  
Years ago

In won of Paul Bauer's Trash Talk articles on the SIXERS website, it said that Gerlach had been ANash's replacement. That might be the reason that the SIXERS can't bloody afford any one.

Cheers!!!

Seb007

Reply #17549 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What happens is that development players can only suit in the 10-man roster 8 or 9 times before they are required to be contracted by the club (i.e., paid a minimum salary). Until then, they are paid on a per game basis.

Given the injury troubles (Nash, Maher, Williams, Rees), Hambour and Gower have been in the ten for that maximum count and the club cannot afford to pay them the minimum salary as required by the NBL. Because of this, Gerlach gets a shot in the 10-man roster.

It's a bit rough on the two guys who've put in the time at trainings for the season to date, but if you've got no money, you've got no money. Also, it does give Gerlach a chance to experience more than ABA and recent scrimmages.

Basically, that's what's happening. Gerlach isn't the reason that the Sixers can't afford to replace Nash; he's in there because they can't afford to.

I would expect that they might not have insured players, or at least not Nash, at the start of the season?

Reply #17568 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

Go Brad. Show everyone what you can do.

Reply #17569 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Are you serious when you say they wouldn't have insured Nash??? If that's true that would have to be the biggest balls up for a long time coming. I thought it would be mandatory for all players to have personal insurance. It was when I played in the SEABL and we're talking about NBL here, that's a joke!
In my opinion if they can't afford to replace him then sitting him on the bench in uniform should still qualify him as playing those games would in not? If so they may as well do it!

Reply #17582 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:05 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754