New chum
Years ago

State champs - who and why

Now that games have finished for school holidays - Who are the favored clubs for the individual age groups for the state champs. Looks like sturt for the majority of the boys grades. Surely it is not that one sided on the boys side of things ? What about the girls ? Isn't it strange that there are no lead up games leading into the states major championship.

Topic #15419 | Report this topic

Ingles13  
Years ago

http://www.hoops.com.au/sa/i.cfm/forumlist/14629/?a=512

Reply #182064 | Report this post

tk  
Years ago

south in the U16 boys as I read previous on a thread here that they are very good. Can't seem to find that thread now.

Reply #182067 | Report this post

Rocketman  
Years ago

North in the under 20's men as on friday the whipped the Summer champs South by 20 odd!

Reply #182073 | Report this post

Afroman Jnr  
Years ago

thats because the south thread was a joke, an absolute joke!

Reply #182074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tk a little premature as usual look at the fixtures have to play the big 3 rounds 7,8 and 9 but well done so far.

Reply #182091 | Report this post

Forestville in 16 girls.

After all, they won the winter season last year!

Reply #182098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they play the finals at Wayville, metroparentwannbe, you are a shoe in as playing at wayville every eagles team starts 10 points up.

Reply #182104 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

What do you mean by that Afroman??? Are you saying South won't compete for the finals at State Champs?

Reply #182110 | Report this post

Southern Cuzin  
Years ago

Panther, the south boys I think will come third behind Norwood and Mavs. Sturt will slide as some kids have other commitments I believe over that weekend. Some heart muscle problems there as well I believe. Once again should be an even grade.

Reply #182115 | Report this post

Turtle  
Years ago

Yea South in U16 boys for sure.

Reply #182118 | Report this post

Afroman Jnr  
Years ago

just saying that although there is the hype about them from what i've seen they are not as strong as the main three in Norwood, Eastern and Sturt. but we will see what happens in a few weeks.

Reply #182122 | Report this post

Mr X  
Years ago

Eastern Mavericks!! Classy and Talented Team

Reply #182128 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Oh, I thought you were talking about the under 20's team!

Reply #182129 | Report this post

(#182098)Pretty big chip to be carrying around buddy, but you carry it so well!

Princess wasnt required I take it?

Reply #182148 | Report this post

Afroman Jnr  
Years ago

just to clarify i'm talking about the under 16's not the 20's

Reply #182154 | Report this post

man of the moment  
Years ago

heart muscle problems in that sturt team r u serious, There is a few kids that are lazy one in particular but when it matters that kid will always put his heart into it and step up,also they arent the most talented team but they work better as a team than any other team, maybe southern couzin u should actually look properly at that team and then you would know they are a threat and clearly better than south at the moment and will be a threat to both norwood and mavs!!!

Reply #182156 | Report this post

No eye deer!  
Years ago

Not too many problems with the hearts when they won the Norwood tournament beating some good Vic teams and Norwood along the way. Not too many heart problems when they won 14 Classic and a bronze at Nationals two years ago. If they are all fit and healthy they will win State Champs.

Reply #182159 | Report this post

Southern Cuzin  
Years ago

Hit a nerve - time will tell for the sturt boys. Still too reliant on one kid to get em going and if he's not going to be there they can be soft. Every one knows that. Were the same in 14's as well. Same kids make the same mistakes and they have lived off the back of 2 good players for the past couple of years. Take the guard and the big out and see what happens. - still will be a good even comp though.

Reply #182164 | Report this post

Southern crashes  
Years ago

Southern Cuzin, You are a moron! Take 2 good players out of any team at any club and they will be not as strong. The problem with YOUR club is trying to find those 2 good players in any of your teams. Stop talking it up when your team and your club have acheived nothing lately and looking at your junior teams coming through will acheive nothing in the future.

Reply #182177 | Report this post

Afroman  
Years ago

Southern Cuzin. You obviously have not seen much of the Sturt side lately. They have a few match winners in the team, and are not dependant on one player.
In previous years that might have been the case.
If all are fit and available, they are a well balanced team with a few different options.
Souths U16Boys lost to Norths this last week end.
The beat Centrals by 2 points.
Taken those two results, I do not see them being much threat at all.

It is good that a team like South Adelaide can think big.
Good luck with the State Championship.

Reply #182178 | Report this post

who lacks heart?  
Years ago

Southern Cuzin,

You probably "hit a nerve" because you have suggested that the Sturt boys lack courage/heart and are soft - an accusation that is probably the most damning you can make. Yet you have failed to provide any evidence/reasons as to why?

This team may not win State Champs - they certainly wouldn't be favoured to even make the final based on form - maybe becasue they don't shoot well, or struggle to defend some tough players, don't execute their skills under pressure, or plainly aren't good enough. But I guarantee you that the boys will play hard basketball, as a team with all players performing their roles, and give it everything they have to try and be state champions. And if that isn't enough to win the title, so be it, and congratulations to whoever does coz it is tough to win.

But what "hits a nerve" the most with me is that you, a parent of an opposition player - and not Southern either - can accuse 14 and 15 year old boys of lacking heart and being soft - yet YOU don't even have the courage to put your name to your allegations! These boys, like players from all teams, dedicate numerous hours per week and make many sacrifices to the sport they love and to see them anonymously, publicly ridiculed for it does "hit a nerve", even if they play for the "disliked double-blues". For me, it is not these hard-working young men who are soft and lack heart, it is you "Southern Cuzin"!

Reply #182181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if you call them soft i'm sure they would love to play your team and kick there ass, then we would see who is soft

Reply #182191 | Report this post

tiger coach  
Years ago

southern crashes, what do you mean by "Stop talking it up when your team and your club have acheived nothing lately and looking at your junior teams coming through will acheive nothing in the future."

Have you seen some of the talent coming through the lower age groups? I agree, all is not well at southern but have a look at what "who lacks heart" has said, I think it applies equally to you.

Reply #182192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the 16 boys this year is fairly close, although common sense the winner at state champs will either be norwood, mavs or sturt

the summer season had many blowouts while so far in this winter season, there have been many closer games.

Southern have stepped up winning more games this winter than they did in summer already.

The top 3 are nearly all evenly matched.
Its hard to pick a winner out of the 3.
Norwood run n gun
Sturt post up their bigs all game long, then get lazy and zone
while mavs hustle hard and offensively rebound well.

The next group of South, North and Forestville, is also evenly matched. Already this season, South beat forestville, but then forestville went on to beat North, but then North beat south revolving in a triangle. If I had to pick the best of these 3, I'd say the eagles, as they beat south in the summer convincingly and also I heard they were missing a few lads when they took on south this winter.

next are southern, centrals and west. followed lastly by Woodville who fail again

So my order would be:
Norwood
Mavs
Sturt

Forestville
South
North

Centrals
Southern
West

Woodville

Reply #182236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sturt have not played zone all year so no idea wat ur on about mate

Reply #182240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nwd will be tough in the U/20's this year when they get their full line up on the court. I watched them play West and they looked impressive.

Who else will challenge in the U/20's?

Reply #182279 | Report this post

(#182098)picked ya!

Reply #182329 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:47 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754