Sturty6ers
Years ago

Carmelo Anthony suspected DUI

From my morning troll.......

Denver Nuggets star Carmelo Anthony was arrested early today
on suspicion of drunken driving, police said.

He was stopped in a silver Mercedes about 4 a.m. on
southbound Interstate 25 near 20th Street for failing to
stay in his lane and dim his lights. He has been released
from jail.

More details about the arrest were not immediately
available.

The Nuggets beat the Houston Rockets Sunday night at the
Pepsi Center.

The team today issued a brief statement:

"We are aware of the situation involving Carmelo Anthony. We
are currently gathering information and we will have no
further comment at this time."

Dan Recht, Anthony's attorney, also issued a statement:

"Carmelo was pulled over late Sunday night on suspicion of
driving under the influence of alcohol. He cooperated by
consenting to a blood test, the results of which will not be
available for approximately two weeks. There was no
accident and no one was hurt.

"Like anyone in a similar situation, Carmelo has to wait for
the results of the blood test/ He regrets putting himself
in this situation.

"In the meantime, Carmelo will try to stay focused on his
family and his team. Carmelo apologized to fans, the Denver
community, his teammates and the Nuggets organization for
the distraction this is causing them."

Recht said Anthony was alone in the car when he was stopped.

Anthony is due in court on May 14.

Topic #15433 | Report this topic

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'm very disappointed to read this news as I've quite a fan of Melo. I think he's under-rated at times. Good shooter and good physique @ his position.

Reply #182263 | Report this post

Jambo  
Years ago

It takes 2 weeks to get blood test results? The documentary, CSI Miami, tells me they're available in 5 minutes as long as Horatio delivers the perfect one-liner:

Reply #182265 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

2 weeks wait for the results of a blood test?

Reply #182266 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

He'll continue to be allowed to play and business as usual. They still need that playoff berth and then to win beyond the 1st round if they do make it.

Reply #182271 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Team America, F*ck Yeah!

Way to go skip

Reply #182278 | Report this post

melo is a G  
Years ago

Stop Snitchin!

Reply #182299 | Report this post

M-Wills  
Years ago

Carmelo. If you have commited DUI, then shame on you. You are supposed to be a role-model.
Why are professional athletes always doing this?
He deserves to be punished if he has comitted DUI.

Reply #182325 | Report this post

M-Wills  
Years ago

Carmelo. If you have commited DUI, then shame on you. You are supposed to be a role-model.
Why are professional athletes always doing this?
He deserves to be punished if he has comitted DUI.

Reply #182327 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I can't believe that he was willing to undergo and consented to a blood test.....

Reply #182330 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

TR, if he didn't, is he not automatically guilty then??

Reply #182331 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think that's the case with the breath test, but there is a way to avoid/delay the blood test confirmation?

TR, can you remind us? Something like insisting that a lawyer is present or saying that you'll only take a blood test at a hospital or doctor or something like that?

Reply #182335 | Report this post

Rex Hunt  
Years ago

He was drunk remember - he probably thought he was signing an autograph not a consent form.

Reply #182336 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Yeah, the blood test could save his bacon (if he's clean), but he wouldn't of been arrested if he didn't fail or refused to undertake some sort of roadside test.

Why undergo a blood test???? If the blood test comes back positive he's provide the prosecutor with an offical reading. In that case there is no 'not guilty' plea.

Most places in Australia will only offer (sometimes insist) a blood test if your involved in a MV collision and transported to hospital. A blood test can also be obtained if you believe that the roadside/police reading is incorrect and you wish to challenge the reading. Oh, this also comes out of your own pocket and you'll have to organise it yourself.

I'm not suggesting anything, but providing a blood sample, lets just say opens other issues.

Originally, he was only looking at alcohol as an issue. With the sample instead of only looking for alcohol they will also be looking for other issues. Let's say some adverse results come back from the blood, say cannabis or other substances. In the blood, alcohol last 12 hours, meth is 24 hours, speed is 12 hours (I'm not sugguesting Melo is a druggie, just stating simple facts).

He raised enough suspicion in his actions to give Police the belief that he required to be arrested, which probably means he failed a roadside test of some sort.

Failure to provide a sample in Australia will mean you are charged at the highest level (4).

There could be come issues if Melo was intoxicated (allegedly) that he didn't realise he was signing consent or what his state of mind was like at the time.

Reply #182341 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Surely not an NBA player in trouble with the law!

Reply #182407 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

From ESPN....

Some snippets from the article:

Meanwhile, a Denver television station is reporting that the city's police department is looking into the possibility some of its officers gave Anthony preferential treatment during his arrest.

The television station reported that Anthony's fiancee was called, but she refused to pick him up, and a Denver police sergeant ended up driving Anthony to the hotel where he and his fiancee were staying.

KWGN also reported that a second officer drove Anthony's car to a parking lot at the Denver police department's traffic bureau.

http://linky.com.au/r5qt7

Reply #182459 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:44 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754