Isaac
Years ago

Barry Hall suspended for seven weeks

The AFL tribunal has tonight suspended Sydney's Barry Hall for seven weeks after his sickening punch to West Coast Eagle Brent Staker.

Article on AdelaideNow

Was it the right penalty?

Topic #15453 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

He should have got more. Around 8-10 weeks for AFL would have been about right IMO.
However if we compare it to basketball he would have been looking at a 1 year minimum ban, if not 3 years.

Reply #182446 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

really only three weeks seeing as though he will be out for 4 with a broken wrist.

I think this situation should be used as a catalyst for reform of the penalties when injury is involved.

Players that are injured should be de listed or on injury waivers and therefore their ineligibility to play any way should not count towards games suspended.

Reply #182454 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I agree that suspensions should not count when injured.

Hall was expected to take up to 6 weeks off for the wrist, so therefore and effective suspension of ONE is ridiculous.

The other interesting rumour is that the AFL gave Sydney a bit of a break at the Tribunal, in return for which Sydney weren't going to question the injury to Hall. Apprently the AFL FORCED Sydney to play this (and other) games at ANZ Stadium, even thought they had raised concerns about the venue (including th safety of the fencing/advertising boards).

The AFL are rumoured to be doing quite a lot to "help" Sydney, which would explain the Swans backflip on the 2nd Sydney team. This team that 4 weeks ago they swore to fight is now welcomed with open arms.

Something smells a little to me.

Reply #182456 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Well, being a Swans fan, I was kind of hoping for a six week penalty as his first game back (if healed from OK from the injury) would be ironically against the WCE in Subiaco - now that would give the weagle fans (and of course the pathetic media) something to look forward (or boo) to!

Anyway, it looks like he will be out for a solid two months. About the ground, obviously the injury has been overshadowed, however it is a seperate issue, and had Bazza not had his mind explosion, then there would be a massive uproar from many sections including the Swannies. Let's face it, he is our most prized possession and to have him out because of unsafe conditions, then it all honesty, it's not good enough.

For those who believe in Karma, such as our captain courageous Kirk, then he got what he deserved right? =) I certainly don't subscribe for Barry or any other player who coincidently is injured when they are suspended that those games shouldn't count - how ridiculous is that!!??

Reply #182461 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

cavalo so what has he lost then?
He was found guilty of the hit and suspended.

If his wrist does take 6 weeks to heal he has sits out only one game.

How is that fair or just? The other six weeks he could not have played any way so in what way has he been penalised?

That is like being suspended from school during school holidays.

Reply #182467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No it's not.

It's like being suspended from school while you've got a broken arm and can't write anyway.

Reply #182475 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

should of been less.

Reply #182481 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

DICKO , i was writing a similar piece when i scrolled up and saw that i would be repeating your thoughts pretty much word for word .

Definitely wreaks to high hell IMO .

Add to that the Goodes let off , knew as soon as they appealed that he would be ok .

I feel a little sorry for Bazza , he is crucified week in week out by the little yellow ( sometimes green ) whistle blowing ass goblins . I don't barrack for Sydney but he does gets a raw deal .

Also , he swung around and knocked Staker flush when he was not expecting it which made it look even worse . If he wanted to truly hurt Staker he would followed thru and stakes would have half a face left .

I am by no way condoning his actions but i truly think it was a case of BB losing his head and striking out more than trying to hurt Brent Staker.

I have seen players attempt much worse but maybe not connect , it is just unfortunate for Bazza that his boxing skills are equal to his football skills .

Reply #182488 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

As much as it would be great u cant actually penalise a person after they are injured. Then the club would say that Hall's wrist is just a sprain and say he would be back next week and therefore his suspension would start then. It would just make clubs cover up injuries even more than they already do. Just dont see it as practical. I predicted 7 weeks, and remember people its football not basketball, the ban is always going to be less.

Reply #182491 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Surely if the tribunal takes into account injuries, suspended players will all have miraculous recoveries and be saying "My broken wrist healed overnight, but have to start my suspension so won't be playing anyway".

Maybe tribunal can take into account the victim's injuries and time away from footy? ie, you hit a bloke who's out for 8 weeks due to injury, you're out for 8 weeks too?

Reply #182495 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

"ie, you hit a bloke who's out for 8 weeks due to injury, you're out for 8 weeks too?"

Okay then Barry Hall should be able to play this week then if Staker is.....

Don't think that one really works..

Reply #182498 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

The argument that Hall is injured so his suspension should be longer holds no weight. If he hadn't been injured would people be that upset about the verdict?

Reply #182500 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

I think the injury isn't really important. They AFL are thinking of introducing something similar to red card in soccer, if that had been in place the he wouldn't have injured his wrist.

7 weeks seems a little bit on the light side, given his history. But it was always going to be some arbitrary number between 6 and 10.

Reply #182501 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

didnt lockett get 7 weeks for a elbow to the head that sidelined a player for 4 weeks with a fracture to the skull.

it was a stupid act. and violent one, does not deserve to be hung and dry on it.

u want to talk about tribunal being soft go back 1 week to the goodes let off that was just as intentional as barry halls and was a swung arm to the head as well

Reply #182518 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

correction go back 2 weeks

Reply #182520 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

A fair penalty imo

Injury has never come into it......and never should

Reply #182553 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

"reporting live from downtown Perth"

An evil demon going by the name of Barry Hall, has been unleashed on the pure of heart and perfect of body west coast eagles player.

apparently there have been some other traumatic events thorugh history....world war 2... 911....the bali bombings and global warming, BUT NOTHING on this scale!!!

This devil incarnate must be removed from the list of human beings, he should be paraded down Hay St Mall and have tomatos thrown at him by the god (ben cousins) fearing locals, then be banned from ever playing the game again, then hung, drawn and quartered.

Geebus..get over it, (awesome punch by the way)

Reply #182563 | Report this post

legend  
Years ago

I think the penalty is right on the button. I also expect Busling Barry will make his dollars through suing the AFL for neglegence after he retires as did Shaun Rehn sliding in the middle. After what I have seen from Chris Tarrant he should be charged with imitating an AFL player,suspended for the year.

Reply #182603 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:55 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754