I love ABL
Years ago

Funny CABL's top 50 players

I have been wanting to do this for a while now and finally I have gotten around to it. With the AFL Dream Team vs Victoria game coming up...a game which will consist of basically the games top 50 players, it seems like an appropriate time to bring out my top 50 players of the CABL.

Now I know no one will think like me and am sure to create some controversy but just try and take it for what it is...one persons view.

Would just like to say that this is not a list just on this years form. I took a number of things into account when making my top 50 including current form, past form, experience, talent, and a big thing I took into account was versatility eg. people who can score and play D rated highly, as did players that can play inside and outside. Most of all I tried to think if a were a coach, who would I like to have on my team and how important the player is to his team.

There are some ommissions and I will talk about who made it, who didn't and why, and also explain some of my ordering. But I will do this at the end of the list but first, starting from 50 and working down to my number 1 player...here is my list of the top 50 CABL players:

50: Mark Bauer (Sturt)
49: David Bowley (Sturt)
48: Scott Lampshire (Norwood)
47: Joel Goodenough (Southern)
46: Shane Crothers (West)
45: Matt Atkins (Centrals)
44: Paul Smith (Southern)
43: Doug Mac-Taylor (Forestville)
42: Daniel Phillips (West)
41: Triston Braithwaite (Southern)
40: Rory Craddock (West)
39: Brendan Mann (West)
38: Dan Lalic (Southern)
37: Todd Gower (Sturt)
36: Matt Clarke (Centrals)
35: Steve Pilkington (South)
34: Chris Clausen (Centrals)
33: Jye Watson (Eastern)
32: Mark Fuller (South)
31: Nick Hambour (North)
30: Phil Modra (Eastern)
29: Chris Molitor (West)
28: Shane Breheney (Eastern)
27: Paul Vandenbergh (Centrals)
26: Tom Rowe (North)
25: Brad Sullivan (Forestville)
24: Peter Hoban (Forestville)
23: Brad Bungey (Southern)
22: Andrew Webber (Norwood)
21: Anthony Spadavecchia (West)
20: Luke Mapunda (North)
19: Tom McKenzie (South)
18: Keith Krause (Norwood)
17: Dan Thompson (Norwood)
16: Gary Birmingham (Woodville)
15: Blake Truslove (West)
14: Marcus Ng (Sturt)
13: Justin Halleran (South)
12: Michael Zorich (North)
11: Matt Sutton (Forestville)
10: Brad Gerlach (Forestville)
09: Jordon Dodman (Sturt)
08: Scott Arnold (Forestville)
07: Kane Oakley (Forestville)
06: Andrew Puddifoot (Centrals)
05: Jason Reardon (North)
04: David Cooper (Norwood)
03: Todd Mathews (Norwood)
02: Cameron Wilson (Woodville)
01: Erik Burdon (North)

First of all I will say Erik was an easy choice for number one. The best shooter in the league, can catch and shoot and create his own shot. Good defender as shown in GF last year. Has good experinece as has played in 2 GF's and has a championship under his belt. Massive player for North and is an outright champion and a huge headache for opposition coaches.

Now I know alot of people will think Mathews should be ahead of Wilson but i don't. Cam has had a great career to date. 3 GF's, 2 championshios (1 as captain), is a great leader, and one of the toughest players to play the game. Can score, get his team mates involved, and is a fantastic defender, not to mention that his team is a 40-50 point better team when he is playing. Also is great at controlling the tempo of the game to his teams needs.Todd is all those things too but I put Cam ahead of him...just.

Cooper(4)..the best centre in the league..I think we all know why...nothing more to say!

Arnold gets in the top 10 at no.8. Best genuine 3 man in the league although Reardon(5) is ahead of him, but I think reardon is more a 2 man playing in the 3-4 spot. Scott has had a great career and a solid start to this year too. Inside/outside, good defender was huge in the eagles championship of 2006. Reardon is all class....his record speaks for himself.

Gerlach sneaks into the top 10 just ahead of point guards Sutton(11) and Zorich(12). I just think he is a slightly better alround player. His shooting has come along well to go with his basket attacking abilities. A very good defender also. A development spot could be on the cards for him? Sutton and Zorich comes down to preference really. Both great players and both are equally important for their respective teams.

Dodman gets the in top ten (9). Great year last year. Has bulked up alot and is Sturts best player. There is quite a gap between him and Bungey(23), Hoban(24) and Breheney (28). I expect this gap to close buy the end of the year especially if the 3 just mentioned continue their current form. Bungey has been good for a few years but unless he can stop getting into foul trouble, throwing tantrums and getting un sportsman like fouls he will never get into top 20, but he has shown how important he is when playing to his potential a sseen this year in Southerns wins against Flames and eagles with him and loses to centrals and west without him. Hoban needs to continue his rise and if so will see him with a development spot with the sixers. Very strong body and has some range too. Breheney is a bit lower due to his lighter frame. Only had one good year but has done well to get into the top 30 as he wouldn't have made the top 100 two years ago. Truslove(15) is the other big. He is huge for West. Everytime he plays a full season they go deep into the finals, everytime he doesn't they struggle. A genuine 6'10, tough competitor has got some range too. West without him are not a finals team! The other big worth mentioning here is Lalic(38). Some people would have him higher but I just don't see what the fuss is about. He works hard i'll give him that, but is quite short, has no range at all and his best year was last year averaging 15 and 8. Nothing special in my opinion. Would have Bungey and Hoban out with the sixers way before him. I even have Pilkington ahead of him at 35. Great rebounder, good athlete ang has really matured overthe past few years. Probably needs to see more of the ball if south are to make finals.

Halleran came in at 13. Now I had to go on what I have heard from his team mates and those that have played him and his stats to date this year. Apparently can certainly play. Can shoot and rebound well for his size..exactly what the panthers need to replace Scanlon. I would have gad Scanlon around 13, so thats where I put Justin, just ahead of M.Ng(14). Sturt really miss him. Can score and is the leagues best athlete by far. Explosive to the basket and can shoot the thing too.

Birmingham(16) is well under rated. With woodville only having 2 players in the top 50, he and Wilson really do carry the ship. One of the sweetest shooters in the comp and has been for a number of years. Thompson(17) and Krause(18) I think are the leagues 3rd and 4th best 4 men. Thompson has had an injury plagued career but he seems to finally be getting it right. 15 a game last year off the bench for the Flames and easily their best player in the GF. Very strong and has a great seal in the post. Krause, like Puddifoot and Oakley is one of the most versatile big men in the league and the Flames captain and was 11th in last years Wollacott medal! Quality shooter, has a good reach and gets plenty of boards.

McKenzie(19) and Mapunda(20) round out the top 20. The next best 3 men after Arnold. Mckenzie is super versatile. He plays the 4 spot for South but spends alot of time on the perimeter. Can shoot, put the ball to the floor and is a very good rebounder. Mapunda is all those things too, maybe not quite so versatile as he is more perimeter. Great athlete that can shoot and put the ball on the floor. Looking forward to both of these guys improving.

Coming in at 21 was Spud. MVP of the acadamy, but I feel is still a way off the other 4 point guards above him on the list. Needs to improve his own shot and his shot selection if he is going to get any higher. Is great to watch out in the open court. Webber in just behind him at 22. Another solid year last year, one or two more years like that could see him in top 15. Maybe could concentrate on playing a bit more rather than trash talking? Still as he is at no. 22, who am I to say?

Sullivan(25) is on his way down. Would have been top 15 three years ago. Big game player. Handy of the bech for the eagles.

Rowe(26) and Vandenbergh(27) are the next lot of 3 men. Rowe is one of the best defenders going around. Huge finals series last year but needs to improve his shot to get any higher. Great work ethic too. Reggie too is one of the leagues best all round players. Is a bit down the list due to having a year off and is getting on a bit in age. Great defender.

Another good young all round players in Molitor gets in at 29. Good rebounder and catch and shoot. West have certainly missed him this year with his scoring and size, and Modra round out the top 30. Having a supergood year with the Mavs. Has really improved his fitness and shooting over the last couple of years. Good size on him too. Also was the outstading player of the summer season. Done well to get in the top 30. Would not have been top 50 last year.

Hambour(31) has slipped a bit. Still a very important player for north, but with all the young bigs floating around he is down the list probably more than some people would have him. Maybe a bit over shadowed by Dusty last year. Good rebounder, and has some range for his size. Apart from last year he has held the North front court pretty much on his own over the last 5-6 years, apart from when they had Kent but he was rubbish. Like I said unlucky not to be higher but 31 is still pretty good.

Fuller(32) is the next benchy on the list. Love this guys work rate. Any coach would be happy to have him on their team. Championship starter in 2005. All penetration tho, needs to improve his shooting to get any higher. Awesome rebounder for his size.

Watson(33) is a bit down the list due to not having played much this year or last. Really is a top 15-20 player. Mavs really need him. Hit 50 against the eagles one year! Great shooter.

Clausen(34) is on the list cos I expect him to play when he comes home from college. 16 and 8 last year for the Lions. Very good all round player. Can shoot a bit but likes to get to the basket. A big in for the lions when he returns...if he doesn't then he has just taken someones spot in my top 50.

Clarke(36) i believe is the next best point guard. Great leader and is having a career best year. Injury interupted career but things look to be on the up for him and the lions. Can shoot from the carpark and gets his team mates involved too.

Gower is in at no.37. Very experienced. Probably down a bit due to not playing last year. Could be top 25-30 by years end. Good defender and can shoot. 2 championships also. Sturt missed him last year. Another verteran makes the list at number 39 and thats Mann. Is definatley on his way out still makes my list. NBL experience and a great play maker. His lateral movement is not really there anymore due to his calf but still good enough to be on the list...top 40 even. And to round out the top 40 his team mate Craddock. Has averaged mid teens off the bench for 2-3 years now. Streaky shooter, could be higher but I don't think his attitude is quite right. Would like to see him in the top 30 but need to improve his D. He just pips Braithwaite(41). Similar players but Craddock has been more consistant over recent years. Triston is a great shooter and Southerns success will rely alot on him this year getting 17-20 a game. These two shooters are just ahead of another shooter who is Danny Phillips(42). All he seems to do now is shoot 3's. Become very one dimensional and is one his way out. I would like to see him coming off the bench when West get their players back. Would have been top 25 3-4 years ago but will doubt if he makes the list by years end.

Coming in at 43 and 44 respectively are the nuggets of the competition in Mac-Taylor and Paul Smith. Dougie is a bit lower than he would have been last year due to him lack of form this year but you can't go past his worth for the eagles over quite some period. 2 championships, one as a starter and had a great year last year. One for the hardest workers in the comp and one of the best post defenders but looks to be on the way out with injuries. Would have had him somewhere around 25-35 last year but also expect him not to be on the list by the end of this year. Smith on the other hand is on his way up. Similar to Mac-Taylor he is undersized but is very strong. Uses his body well on D, can hit the open one from range and is a very good passer. An important cog in Southerns expectant rise in the coming years. Paul should be the next Dougie and could be even better I think.

Atkins(45) sneaks into the top 50. Great shooter, played in 2004 all star game. Just pipped Pascoe for the last shooters spot in the 50. Also is experienced...would be racking up the games for the lions.

At 46 is a bloke who would be top 25 if we were going on this years form alone. Has tried his heart out for West this year whilst they have been undermanned. Crusher Crothers has been a solid player for west for years now. Is a good rebounder and works as hard as anyone. Little range tho and can blow up at any stage but his leadership and work rate gets him in the 50 and probably kept out his team mate Davis. Another veteran who is one his way out is Goodenough(47). Almost didn't put him in due to his poor year last year but he seems to be going alright this year. Great mentor for Boal to have. I almost put Boal in but a couple of good games is not enough in my book. Would like to see him in at the end of the year. But Joel gets in for his experience and leadership and he is a championship starting point guard.

The lively Lampshire gets in at 48. Had a solid year for the flames last year. Is exciting of the bech, a great athlete and has pretty good range too. His very good summer season gets him into the top 50.

And finally rounding out my top 50 is a sturt duo in Bowley(49) and Mark Bauer(50). Bowley battles hard and is a good rebounder, whilst Bauer is one of the most improved players in the comp. Bauer was a big part of Sturts championship drive in 06 and is a very good shooter both catch and shoot and off one dribble. Not a bad defender either. This last spot could have gone to alot of players but I like the way he goes about his basketball and think he gets the most out of himself.

Now for the near misses. I have already mentioned Davis(west), Boal(Southern) and Pascoe(woodville) as being three that came close. Others are Callier from West. Hasn't played in this league in about 6 years and has only played 10 mins this year so a bit hard to put him in...i'll consider him next time.

Parker from centrals: hasn't played since 04. Not a bad start this year but needs to continue to make this list.

Pearce from west. Works hard but doesn't do enough for this list.

Vaughn from sturt is improving. He got close this time..maybe next time.

Magden from Mavs(college). He didn't come back and play last year and until he does I won't consider him. Obviously would be a top 15 player tho.

Other college players like Papendex and Fildes I did consider but didn't think either was deserving to make my list.

Zane Reeves is very unlucky! thats all i will say on that one.

Willis from Woodville needs to play more than a couple of good games.

Dearman from Mavs...also unlucky!

Forestville pair Wilson and Hayden also unlucky.

Well thats about it from the ABL lover. Hope you enjoy. Feel free to discuss your thoughts but try not to turn it into a bagging session.

Topic #15467 | Report this topic

I love ABL  
Years ago

Sorry just quickley, other unlucky ones were Quigley(north). A good leader but just does not do enough.
Frost(south) also unlucky.

Rees(woodville) didn't make it cos he has had it. Will be very surprised if he plays....same with Kosmider(south).

Paget(Sturt) still needs improving.

Pero needs to play as does Dusty if they want to get on the list.

Leith Burdon..just missed...already so many good shooters!

Reply #182656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting list but Dodman @ no# 9 ...ok the guy is in the sixers..only because he's tall not because he can play actually play the game.....

Reply #182657 | Report this post

Great Debate  
Years ago

Great write up and a good read. Sure to open a can of worms.

Aside from the typical debates as to who should be above who etc the only criticism/question that I have is that is it based on current form/age etc or their career? There seems to be a few inconsistencies in that area (eg. Wilson gets credit for his previous achievements, 2 championships etc, but someone like Mann doesn't? - I'm pretty sure he would be the only one on that list to have won a world championship!).

I look forward to reading this thread over the next week or so - should be good.

It would also be interesting to do an ESPN style "Top Trade Value" players where the older guys would move down the list and some of the younger guys move up because of potential and playing years left etc.

Reply #182658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too much time on your hands champ.

Reply #182659 | Report this post

I love ABL  
Years ago

I see your point Great Debate. But the differnce between Wilson and Mann is that Wilson is still in his prime...Mann is not. If you can tick both boxes in current and past form(achaivments) then you are going to be higher on the list. Mann is a more of a role player these days, and really his past acheivments and his experience probably got him on the list.

Reply #182660 | Report this post

StatsRoom  
Years ago

If you give each player a ranking based on the positions in this list (ie Erik gets 50, Cam 49, Todd 48 etc) the team totals look like this. How close will this be to the final ladder I wonder?

Forestville (229)
North (211)
Norwood (194)
West (125)
Centrals (107)
South (105)
Woodville (84)
Sturt (82)
Southern (76)
Eastern (62)

Once again there is no disputing the best three teams. West are higher because their injured players are included (take out Molitor, Mann and Truslove and they drop to 58!). The rest are all close which is how the season is shaping up - anyone could get those last two playoff spots.

IMO Centrals are too high but mainly due to Puddifoot being at No. 6 - at least 20 spots too high IMO.

Reply #182662 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

"Interesting list but Dodman @ no# 9 ...ok the guy is in the sixers..only because he's tall not because he can play actually play the game....."

Nah your right mate, only averages about 16 and 10 per game, bloody terrible!

Reply #182665 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

I miss the old HSA ratings. It would be good to compare the list to the current HSA ratings.

Reply #182667 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Just on ratings - does anyone know how the Index of Success thingy is calculated on Sporting Pulse?

Reply #182668 | Report this post

just a thought  
Years ago

Well done I Love ABL! Can't say I agree with some of your selections, but then no-one is going to agree with every single one. Must have taken you a while!

Stats room I do agree that Centrals are a little high, especially when you see how low Sturt are, but then Centrals did beat Sturt. I would say sneak Sturt in ahead of Centrals and it's pretty close to what I would tip.

Reply #182669 | Report this post

I love ABL  
Years ago

Two teams are maybe two high and that being the lions due to Puddifoot(6) and the eagles due to Arnold(8). I just like the way these two play. Have both had success in the past and are still playing well now. Both are experienced and very hard workers and are both inside/outside players and both have won defensive player of the year before.

Interesting tho statman. I didn't think about the team breakdowns. Pretty close I guess. Sturt are unlucky not to have more players in the 50. Vaughn, Sheppard, Paget and Hakendorf are all good players that missed out.

Reply #182670 | Report this post

Mr Hanky  
Years ago

Did a similar thing but took into account where they played the majority of their juniors.

North 218
Norwood 173
Sturt 164
Woodville 129
Southern 86
Forestville 75
West 72
South 49
centrals 45
Eastern 32

Didn't count guys who came in after or in Under 20's.

Reply #182671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What were Lampshires stats last year?

He would definitely be in the top 10 stupidest players in the CABL.

Reply #182672 | Report this post

Sup  
Years ago

Wow, congrats you just listed the starting 5's for most teams in the league.

Why not do a top 50 of all time you clown instead of listing dudes who 10 years ago would not of even made it into a team in the CABL

Reply #182673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Always a hater. Why don't you trudge off into the snow and sook to someone who cares?

Reply #182674 | Report this post

I love ABL  
Years ago

#672, Lampshire has 7 and 4 off the bench last year. Probably a bit lucky but has a great summer season this year which got him over the line. I expect good numbers from him this year.

Sup....take a chill pill mate, either that or go cry to your mummy mate cos we don't wanna hear it.

Reply #182675 | Report this post

JoeyKnuckles  
Years ago

I remember playing an under 18's game with Cam Wilson vs Centrals. Think it was the first and only time he wore the long socks. They laughed and gave him shit, and he dropped 51 on em. Memories :)

Reply #182676 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

OK i will start the 50 all time greatest abl/state league list in no particular order

1.Willie Jennette
2.Ron Nunnelly
3.Mark Davis
4.Al Green
5.Darryl Pearce
6.Scott Ninnis
7. Dave S m y t h
8. Jason Dix
9. Ben Osborne
10. Tyrone Lee
11. Kelvin Henderson
12. Dean Kinsman
13. Michael Ahmatt
14. Andy Simons
15. Mike Mckay
16. Butch Hays
17. Terry Hamilton
18. Brett Wheeler
19. Jason Wheeler
20. Mark Dalton
21. Werne Linde
22. Peter Ali
23. Ray Wood
24. Greg Olbrich
25. Jacob Holmes
26. Darren Ng
27. Oscar Forman
28. Chris Stirling
29. Mark Sykes
30. Mike Dancis
31. Brian Hennig
32. my brain hurts from trying to remember too many names...any one else want to add some???

Reply #182677 | Report this post

DandyBoi  
Years ago

Nice effort must say.

Just looking over the list, 10 of these guys would be lucky to make the starting 5 of any of the teams going around the SEABL or Big V divisions!

On another note, I'd love to see a list fot he proposed top 50 of the past 20 years. I reckon Sup is right with one thing...10 years ago there were some very good players going around.

Reply #182680 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

What a revelation DandyBoi. Of course some of them wouldn't make the starting fives of SEABL or Big V teams given that at least 7 of them don't even make the starting five of their CABL side.

(West and Forestville have 7 players in the list and North and Norwood both have 6)

Reply #182683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

newsflash Dandyboi - SEABL team is a semi-professional league, Big V and CABL are ametuer leagues.

Reply #182684 | Report this post

I love ABL  
Years ago

I think a very large portion of these players would be good enough in their current form to play in 1998(10 years ago). Although the league is smaller than 10 years ago and there are less imports, the local talent is quicker, more athletic and are alot fitter than that of the 80's and 90's counterparts.
I think it is ridiculous to compare generations anyway...the game changes as do the players...impossible to compare in any sport.

I also think that alot of them would easily get a game in the seabl and especially the big V.

Anyway, this thread is about our current players in the CABL...not about past has-beens or Victoria!

Reply #182685 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Note - I forgot to add Southern as the other team that has 6 in the list.

Reply #182686 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

I would say by years end Gower would be challenging for a top 20 spot. The guy is a gun

Reply #182687 | Report this post

StatsRoom  
Years ago

Sorry Sturt should be 96 and Southern 62.

Reply #182688 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Third time lucky:
Please ignore my lost post and change the minimum number of players in the list that don't start to 6. I think you get the point.

Reply #182689 | Report this post

DandyBoi  
Years ago

Newsflash right back at you anon - Big V like the SEABL is also semi-professional! If you don't know what you are talking about, do some research before you decide to click on 'Post'!!!

Reply #182691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow Dandyboi, you really are digging a hole arn't you.

My error in classying a league in your backyard, (and you picking it up) only makes your claim of

"looking over the list, 10 of these guys would be lucky to make the starting 5 of any of the teams going around the SEABL or Big V divisions!"

look even more stupid!

Apples and apples, sport.

Reply #182692 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

OK to compare leagues between todays talent and "back in the day" i will give you an expample.

My first defensive asignment in ABL,and this will date me, was to guard Rob Rose at the height of his career. This guy was killing people in the NBL and i had to try and guard him in my first game?

So whilst people may say the players now are quicker and stronger i seriously doubt that they are better.

Purely becasue the general talent playing in the league is not as experienced or as good.

If you where a small minute ABL player as i was then you had to go every game against NBL players current and former. And not just bench NBL players these guys also played for the Boomers and at the Olympics.

Local talent was so good that alot of guys (Breeding, Simons, Osborne eg) had to go interstate to make NBL rosters as the Sixers were too deep in almost every position.

These guys got good beacuse every week they where being tested and learning from some of the best in the country. It was the ultimate sink or swim environment.

Reply #182693 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

In my first game in 1996 I had to guard Scott Whitmore and boy I took him to school. Down at Athol Park they still talk about it.

Zane Reeves unlucky? Surely the MIP Academy player has to be ahead of Crothers, Goodenough and Mac-Taylor?

Sorry but to have 3 Eastern players in the Top 33 is probably not right, considering their 2-16 last season, and 0-5 this year.

Reply #182695 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

That was your first mistake Fitz, trying to playing defence...

Second mistake was matching up with Rose.

Reply #182696 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

and my first problem is simple english.... I'd kill for an edit button...

Reply #182697 | Report this post

I love ABL  
Years ago

Shin splints, Zane is improving but needs another year to get ahead of those guys IMO. There wouldn't be one player on the eagles that would prefer Zane to DMT. Zane has no three point range for a bloke who is moderate in size, and needs to work on his defence.

Also, I hear ya about the eastern one, but they are also their only 3 on the list. And surely if Watson was fit they would have won more games. Like I said, he is really a 15-20 player, but i have him at 33 due to injury and lack of playing last year. Modra may be a bit lucky as this is really his only good year. Breheney deserves his spot I think, considering he is still behind 4 other centres.

Reply #182698 | Report this post

tiger coach  
Years ago

I remember having to guard Brett Maher, Rob Rose (would shoot NBA 3's over a double team), Ron Nunnelly (hope I spelt it right, that guy was a scoring machine), Todd Grocke (and that one), Ben Osborne, Grant Yates, Wayne Chapman & most of the NCT team of that day, if i got real lucky, Billy Fikes.

I know it's a different era and all, but I would have those guys on my team over a lot of current players. They were all skilled yet physical players which (correct me if I'm wrong) I don't see much of these days.

Reply #182704 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

I still have nightmares about playing split line help at training one night and seeing the ball get kicked cross court and as I head snapped, took an unintentional charge from Billy Fykes as he dunked right on my head.

Damn that guy could jump!

Also remember my first ever seniors game having to guard Al Green and all I kept thinking was "he's a left hander, force him right, force him right", like I could force Al to do anything!

Reply #182706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh my god, you people have either way too much time on your hands (probably gov workers) or no lives!!

Reply #182709 | Report this post

tiger coach  
Years ago

phizzer, I remember guarding Fikes out at Golden Grove of all places, I got stuck behind him in the low post, he caught it, spun baseline with 1 dribble and dunked it on the other side of the rim. Lucky my hands were up otherwise I would've had a ball imprint on my face, he dunked it that hard.

Reply #182712 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I'm not so sure about all this talk about players being so much better 10 years ago than they are today. tiger coach, sure that tiger team was mega talented, but it was also top of the standings most years.

Compare the top teams of those years to last years top 3, being:

Matthews, Cooper, Krause, Thompson etc for Norwood

Oakley, Dix, Sullivan, Sutton, Campbell etc for Forestville, and of course

Rychart, Hambour, Eze etc for North. I'm sure I've missed some guys on those teams that I shouldn't have

And 2 years ago was it that Sturt had Forman, Bauer, Gower, Williams, D Ng etc all of the above teams had some real solid benches too

I think the top teams of today would easily compete with the top teams of 10 years ago and perhaps beat them.. just my opinion of course

Reply #182713 | Report this post

CIC  
Years ago

Zane Reeves ahead of Crothers. You have to be kidding right? Have you seen Reeves play vs Crothers. He doesn't even want to go within 30 feet of Crusher let alone contest a rebound with him. When he grows some balls I'd consider him for the list.

Reply #182714 | Report this post

Big Luke  
Years ago

Puddifoot has won Defensive Player of the year 2 times and deserves to be in the top 5 in my opinion. The guy can guard almost every position and rebounds like a machine, not to mention his work ethic. have played with him and aginst him and would always have him on my team.

Reply #182718 | Report this post

tiger coach  
Years ago

lockstock, if you look at those names i don't disagree, but those teams are also top of the standings. I guess we can go round and round and round and round, take the best players from any era and they will be comparable to any other era, it is just an opinion. My thoughts, rightly or wrongly, are that the overall league was stronger back in the day.

Reply #182719 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's not quite that the standard of player generally is not as good, just that the competition attracted a higher standard then (better pay, I'm assuming, or at least better pay relative to NBL jobs).

Reply #182720 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

The mid to late 80's and early to mid 90's were a golden era for SA state league basketball .

The standard now is a fair whack below that . The depth has dwindled considerably over the last 10 years for many reasons but hey it is still the top level in the state and the players that play it should take pride in that .

Better than the average armchair slob .

Reply #182735 | Report this post

I love ABL  
Years ago

Thats right Isacc. But I certainly think that the local talent coming out now is as good if not better than 10 years ago. Unfortunately we don't have the imports and interstate players for our local guys to play against due to money, but I don't think that has any real effect on how good our local guys are.

And none of those past players would make my list because none of those guys are still playing! If I was trying to compare generations I would have made multliple lists of all the different era's and then compared them. This is about our current players, and which ones are great players, not a chance for past players to talk about how good they were, or why they coudn't make it 10 years ago cos the comp was better, when actually maybe they just were not that good!

Reply #182737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love ABL. How can Breheny be placed at 28 when he is leading the comp in index of success rating?

Reply #182742 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Playing on a weaker team.

Reply #182745 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

I can't wait for the West V Centrals game soon when Zane says to Crusher "Hey, who's the clown that says you should be rated above me on the top 50 CABL players? When did your mum vote?"

Reply #182752 | Report this post

Back Wiper  
Years ago

Good on ya mate for doing the list and its great that you care enough to do it and who ever did this there would be debate but some of your picks are really out of whacj and you can tell you have not spent near enough time around these guys to really judge.Maybe you just go off ststa alone or something. Some noteable mistakes are

PUDS should not be that high
Peter Hoban should be way higher and is the most NBL ready out of any non NBL player on the list
I dont think anyone has seen enough of reardon to put him that high in this league yet
Cam Wilson is very good but not number 2, he is not netter than Bard Gerlach or Matt Sutton, on his team he stands out more becasue no one around him but he is not a better player than those 2 for instance
Jye Watson and Phil Modra are terrible and should not even be mentioned
The canadian kid from South has not played enough to be considered in that spot which also makes me think you just look at stats and they dont tell you enough over 5 games to say he is 13th best player in the comp

Anyway good on ya just not very accuarte

Reply #182755 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

ever did this there would be debate but some of your picks are really out of whacj .
Maybe you just go off ststa alone or something.
Anyway good on ya just not very accuarte .

speaking of accuracy ?

Reply #182756 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Without being too harsh i think it is hard enough to find 50 good players in the CABL .

Joel Goodenough has been terrible for last 3 yrs .
Gower , very average baller but above #37 .
Mann he's been overrated for 10+ years .
Pilkington can jump ................ nada else .
Hambour , move him up a few .
Molitor , Breheny , Clausen have some upside .
Sullivan deserves some kudos , delivers when needed.
Hobo Jr. Upside , good attitude .
Bungey at #23 ,is how many mins he plays b4 foul out
Spaddevechia , nice game , tad underrated .
Puddifoot in the teens , no higher .
Arnold,does what it takes,MVP,title,lunatic,tops.
Zorich above Sutton .
Cam Wilson never gets the deserved respect # 3
Matthews and Burdon at =

Reply #182761 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

awesome right up very imformative well deserved ball

Reply #182768 | Report this post

I love ABL  
Years ago

I barely looked at the stats, and I have been around these guys alot, which is maybe why I see things a bit differently. Players play well against different teams.

Back Wiper, Reardon has been on an NBL list before and has won championships at SEABL level with Geelong..think he had 17 a game last year., and I have seen him play twice already this year...trust me, he is deserving!

I agree Hoban should get a sixers development spot, but still needs to get consistant which is why he is out of the 20.
Don't think Jye Watson is useless. Hasn't done much since injury but the guy can play...50 pts on the eagles is all i will say.

I went on the canadian from what I heard from others(team mates and those that have played against him). Time will tell i suppose but South seem to be going alright so far with him. Two 30 point games and two 20 point games already and can rebound.

...and I have already spoken about why Wilson is so high.

Reply #182771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Willis needs to play few more good games??? Dearman unlucky to make the list??? Fair enough you put time into making a list, its probably because you have nothing better to do.

But you cant rate some players based on 5 or 6 years and some based on the last 4 weeks. Willis has had probably two good games this season and other than that if you saw him out you would'nt recognise him cause you have only seen his name on that stats sheet.

As for Dearman??? Who is he??? If your considering players like this you have no idea. You have Matt Clarke above Brendan Mann, ask any player and any coach and I'm sure they would take Mann over Clarke any day of the week, even those when games aren't being played.

Some players deserve a little more credit then what you give them. I feel this is very biased and the rankings are terrible, did you do this on your laptop while you were lining up at Centrelink???

Reply #182781 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Biased towards what? You might disagree with their rankings, but they seemed quite impartial to me with no one team favoured too strongly.

Reply #182784 | Report this post

I love ABL  
Years ago

I think #781 is a bit upset he didn't make the list!

Reply #182786 | Report this post

I love ABL  
Years ago

Also #781, i would take Clarke over Mann these days. Mann is well past his best while Clarke is in career best form.

Have you seen Dearman play? Athletic, good defender, fit, and is a good body shape. I think he might make the list in a year or two.

Willis, like I said in my report, needs to play more than a couple of ggod games to get on the list so I guess we agree on that one.

Oh, and how many people who own and carry around a lap top do you think would be lining up at centrelink.

Reply #182787 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

tiger coach - Adelaide Southern Suns and Centrals were getting pumped by 50 every week back then. There are no teams that that happens to these days. Sure the bottom teams get pumped by the top teams every now and then, but no where near the frequency it was happening to ASS and Centrals. They were a laughing stock.

I respectfully disagree. I believe our league today is as strong as it was 10 years ago, hands down. Not sure about 20 years ago.. can't comment on that

Reply #182814 | Report this post

chucky  
Years ago

Not always lockstock. In 96 the suns had 6 wins and 6 in 97, from memory, not great, but they were competitive. Maybe you are just upset *jokes* because most of your clubs descent players and coach ended up there. Olbrich won woolacot in 95 with the suns.

Reply #182821 | Report this post

Schindler  
Years ago

Good work I Love ABL. I think it is great that someone would take the time to put a list like that together and stir some emotion around the local league.

I have to say that I don't agree with some of your selections, mostly because you seem to have applied different strokes for different folks (I tend to agree with 182781 in that it seems you ignore 5 or 6 years of consistency from some in favour of 4 weeks of good form from others), but I'm certainly not about to bag you out for it.

PS: I would take Clarke over Mann any day of the week - basketball or otherwise.

Reply #182836 | Report this post

Don't hate  
Years ago

Great discussion. Don't be haters when it personal opinions. And that's a pretty good listing overall. Leid Burdon on any other team would be a starting 5 player and average 15 points 8 rebounds. He is a quality player and can guard a player in any position. Very unselfish too.

Hoban is unlucky. The boy is a massive human and can bang with the best of them. Still young and is clearly going to get better.

Matthews deserving. If he was a coupleof inches taller would be on an NBL roster and playing good minutes and producing good numbers.

Sutton should not be that high. CErtainly there on reputation. Can control a game well but doesn't have a massive impact on the result. A good role player in any team but not goig to be a superstar in the ABL.

Kane Oakley is also there on reputation. Asn't done a heap this season. Once again a role player but he could have been anything. A really nie guy and rubs off on the court that way. Needs to get a bit of sh1t about him. Can dominate a game when required. I hope to see it at some stage this year.

Zorich's numbers are as good as anybody's. Is shotting it alot better and like the whole starting 5 at the Rockets are producing quality numbers in limited minutes. Zorich is the second best point guard behind Matthews by a long way.

Once again a greatdiscussion. These are my opinions so don't hate me for it.

Reply #182837 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

Not sure about Mapunda ranking 11 spots ahead of Hambour. Their stats are similar this season so there seems to be an allowance for potential in Mapunda's ranking.

Reply #182850 | Report this post

I love ABL  
Years ago

Don't hate...interesting comments. I don't think Oakley and Sutton are there on their reps. Like I said it wasn't a list for the first 5 games this year. Oakley was in the all star 5 last year. And Sutton had a great year too...lead league in assists and was a championship point guard the year before. You don't make the sixers without being a great player.

Leif Burdon was unlucky but I don't think he would start for alot of teams esp Norwood, Forestville, West. Also, I havn't ckecked the stats but I doubt if he was getting 15 and 8 last year but i do agree that he can defend multiple positions. He is a great role player for North. Should make my list at the end of the year if he keeps improving. I must say that I found the last 10-15 on the list the hardest to pick. L.Burdon, like I said maybe should be there ahead of Goodenough(47) and even Atkins(45)...was close and not easy to choose, but i am comfortable with my choices.

I think Modra and Halleran are really the only ones to get high on the list due to this years form alone so i don't think I have been too inconsistant there. Modra did get the MVP of the summer league and has seemed to have gone on with it. Halleren as I have said previously I did go on reputation and this years form but if he keeps it up I don't think too many people would argue at seasons end.

Reply #182858 | Report this post

I love ABL  
Years ago

DaddyO, I kind of hear ya but Mapunda had a great year last year and has been solid the two years before that. His stats may be down this year, but that would be due to having a different role with the rockets. He is quite versatile which probably helped him too.

I have already said Hambour was unlucky not to be higher, but there are quite alot of good centers around at the moment and i had trouble getting him in front of them. Very good player tho.

Reply #182860 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Not sure how versatile Mapunda is! He can play the 3, is too slow to play the 2 and too small (and doesn't have that type of game) to play the 4. One of (if not the) most overrated played in the league IMO.

Reply #182880 | Report this post

charlie  
Years ago

I just tried to compile a list of the current top 640 AFL players. Tough job. Pretty good effort in terms of your order of the top 50.

Reply #182902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, thats impressive. I rather agree with most of it. Hoban could be higher but i understand why maybe he isn't..this being his only stand out year to date...the other years have beeen solid he seems to have turned it up a couple of notches.

Also, Frost from South probably could be there as the same for L.Burdon from North. The rest I think is good enough for me.

Was a great read. well done.

Reply #183578 | Report this post

tiger coach  
Years ago

Sorry, been off line for a while.

Isaac, probably doesn't mean much but not sure I understand...

"It's not quite that the standard of player generally is not as good, just that the competition attracted a higher standard then (better pay, I'm assuming, or at least better pay relative to NBL jobs)."

I love ABL, well done. This is the kind of promotion our league needs. Slightly off topic I know, and I may not be looking in the right places, but I have a suggestion. I'm sure the amount of people who read and post on here would love a weekly breakdown on the weekends games from someone who was actually there, so would anyone be prepared to do a write-up on games they see. I sure BSA or BA do one, but are they actually at the game, and how available are the reviews??? Then refer people to this site to check out game reviews.

Reply #183598 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just saying that what we're missing are the imports and other NBL players - the rest of the players are still a pretty decent standard. So, the standard is only lower because most of the best players aren't suiting - it's not that they couldn't if they didn't want to.

Reply #183611 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:47 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754