LC
Years ago

Bucks hire new coach: Scott Skiles

Bogut's Milwaukee Bucks have signed Scott Skiles on a multi-year deal.

Now that they have a coach, hopefully the Bucks can gain some direction. They need to make signing Bogut a priority, and then go out and recruit some team-oriented players.

What do others think of the signing and the affect this will have with Bogut and the makeup of the team?

Topic #15520 | Report this topic

TR  
Years ago

Good signing... problem with Skiles is that he only has about a 2 season life with teams before his method starts to wear a little thin with the players.

At least the Bucks will now play defence and he won't put up with chuckers and players with shitty attitudes.

Reply #183222 | Report this post

Shaqdiddy  
Years ago

2 season life span with clubs? I'd love you to explain that one? Skiles is a flat out George Costanza type with more direction haha Players in Milwaukee will have to play ball now!

Reply #183224 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Is a good signing, but yeah he seems to piss the players off after a couple of seasons.

I think Bogut will like his style, but they should should trade Redd and Mo Williams.
I can't see Skiles liking their no D, shot happy playing styles.
NY need a PG they should try to get Lee.
Lee and Bogut would be a awesome rebounding duo.
They could play Lee and Yi as SF/PF depending on match-ups.

Reply #183225 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I like Skiles as a coach, but it's a little hard to ignore some of his issues. He does wear thin on the players after time and he shoots his mouth off in the media to much.

Every club Skiles has coached on he has been run out after disagreements and issues with players and then the team turning on him and tuning him out.

He lasted a few seasons with the Suns after a flame war with Kidd, Marion and Rodney Rogers.

http://linky.com.au/mdh0c

In Chicago he had problems with Tim Thomas (remember Skiles refused to add him to the roster after getting him in a trade with the Knicks). Skiles had issues with Ben Wallace and Tyson Chandler. Skiles also had words with Eddy Curry and Corie Blount.

http://linky.com.au/gpd8o

http://linky.com.au/pyqbp

He's had communication issues with Ben Gordon, he's had run in with Marcus Fizer. Earlier this season Noah and Skiles had a battle of words in the media. Skiles publicly stated he was too harsh on Tyrus Thomas.

http://linky.com.au/zswhd

http://linky.com.au/hhxzl

http://linky.com.au/ypo6n

Reply #183227 | Report this post

sharpeshooter  
Years ago

Reply #183230 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Very true TR , he is very intense and can be perceived as a ranter . This doesn't seem to mesh well with ADD affected ego monsters ( NBA players )

Could be alright for Bogut .

Reply #183237 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

The Bucks need to sign Bogut long-term first and bring in some players to help him.

I don't know about Skiles. He only last 2 seasons and always leaves on bad terms with tiffs with too many players.

TR: Thanks for these links. I always enjoy reading these type of articles.

Reply #183247 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

TR the players you mentioned having problems with Skiles have a common thread... can you see it.... they all have lazy etched across their foreheads.
Exceptions- kidd marion and noah. But the ego of those three could fill any stadium in the world.

I hate seeing players in love with the coach.
So he benched fat and dumb curry? sweet.
He wouldn't even accept Tim Thomas on the team? even sweeter.

Good times ahead for the buck and our Boggie.

footnote- tim thomas is the holder of a unique record. He once played in a game where he never entered within the 3pt line. True story. He just ran from line to line and was so slow getting back on D that the other team scored before he got there.
His only defense is that he was playing for the clips.

Reply #183293 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

As I said, I like him as a coach, I like his attitude, and yeah, the typical NBA player has a huge ego, but isn't it his job to manage these egos and to make them work together??? Skiles is a great fix-it coach. He did it with the Suns and Bulls and installed a discipline and attitude. After a while it becomes old and the player just don't respond to ranting and his ways.

Ranting and raving coaches belongs in College. In recent times not one great college coach has made it to the NBA and succeeded. Monty at the Warriors sucked (Nelson in his first season took them to the playoffs). Pitino did nothing, Calipari only lasted three years. Billy Donovan was too chicken to take the plunge. I'd almost have to go back to Larry Brown as a successful college coach that has made it as a coach in the NBA (I'm sure there are others, just can't think of them).

Look at the great coaches in the league, Phil Jackson, he doesn't rant and rave and goto to the media belittling his players. Pat Riley doesn't rant and rave, George Karl has pulled his head in over the years, Larry Brown doesn't either, Mike D is a pretty relaxed type of coach. None of these coaches ride their players like Skiles does, and you can't dispute the results of these guys. George Karl took the Bucks to the Eastern Conference Finals and the Sonics to the Championship series. Riley and Jackson's records speak for themselves. Jerry Sloan is a taskmaster, but once again he has earnt the respect of the league and players and his record speaks volumes.

Skiles method only lasts a few years before players get jacked off by it all. From what I've read, players have never questioned his X and O ability, what they do question is his lack of communication which seems to be a common theme.

The simple fact is that every job he has left he has been shut out off due to players tuning him out.

You never hear of the same problems with Jackson and Riley (Riley was renown of intense practices, but recently changed his ways). Karl had some player issues with the Bucks, Larry Brown never has had a blow up like Skiles.

Reply #183336 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:46 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754