Anonymous
Years ago

3G Iphone

Does anyone have any idea when the 3G iphone comes out. I don't want to buy one before a 3G modle comes out but I'm tired of waiting. Anyone got any news or goss?

Topic #15538 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Haven't heard anything. Apparently the 3G model won't offer much that's different from the EDGE ones. If you're desperate and have money to spare, just get one now. Otherwise, you'll just have to wait.

Reply #183412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The thing is as I'm almost always on the go I want to get either vodaphone mobile tv or mobile foxtel and you need 3G to do that. I'm planning to have my iphone for a long time so I want to make sure it can do everything I'm after. Can you still do that stuff with the edge one's Isaac? Where did you hear that the #G won't be much better?

Reply #183423 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Do we even have EDGE here? I don't use it on my iPhone.

The 3G stuff came from an Ars Technica article I think - can't remember for sure, but maybe Google for it.

Sounds like you might be better off waiting.

The only video that the iPhone appears to support is a little YouTube app. Safari on the iPhone doesn't support Flash and I haven't found any other video it will run outside of the iTunes component.

Reply #183425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac can you access the youtube app in Australia at all?

Reply #183427 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Isaac, Telstra supports EDGE in Aus.

Reply #183431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some people are saying that it might be released at the apple conference in june or else at least by the end of the year.

Reply #183433 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Hey Isaac, just out of interest, are u pissed off that u bought a iphone b4 3g or don't u care bout mobile foxtel, tv etc??

Reply #183435 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I have had mine for a while now, needed a new phone anyway, got it contra, and also don't really care about mobile TV. That said, if mobile data was cheaper I would like to have mobile net access, but I live without it.

YouTube works for me via wireless networks at home and work.

Reply #183436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's difference between "mobile net access" and safari?

Reply #183437 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mobile net access would be accessing the net via EDGE, GPRS or whatever. Given that my phone is unlocked and EDGE-less, I can't do that. I just use Safari when on the wireless network at home/work to save getting out a laptop.

It's really quite usable for a small device - check sports scores, read/post to the forum, browse news sites, etc - covers most things that I tend to do online in a web browser anyway.

Reply #183454 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

A friend of mine has an iPhone and uses a Vodafone plan that has mobile internets which has reasonable data rates.

Reply #183471 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What are those rates? I'm with Optus and their data plans don't appear to be that cheap considering a page on the net can be 100-400kb.

Reply #183476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When you have mobile foxtel are there extra costs other than the $12 per month (to connect to internet etc)??

Reply #183485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does it cost extra to use safari?

Reply #183486 | Report this post

Jambo  
Years ago

My iPhone is with Virgin, $5/month for 50mb of data. Its slow as slow can be though for anything other than reading text-based emails as its only using GPRS, not EDGE like you can on Telstra. It is useful though if you're without a street directory to jump on Google Maps and see how to get somewhere, look up a phone number via the White Pages etc.

However, get it in a Wifi area like much of the CBD is with Internode along with a bunch of cafes, friend's/family's homes, work or whatever, its just fantastic.

To answer anon's question about Safari - unless you're in a Wifi area that you can connect to or hvae a mobile data account with your mobile operator, you can't get anywhere with it. Same goes for anything internet-related.

Reply #183488 | Report this post

k  
Years ago

So if you want to watch foxtel or other tv you have to by shit loads of data right? how much would u need 4 foxtel and how much would it cost?

Reply #183540 | Report this post

k  
Years ago

Does safari cost money isaac? does it use up data for your mobile company (telstra etc)??

Reply #183543 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Video would chew loads of data. A 5MB plan would get burnt through in no time using YouTube.

Safari accessing the net through your wireless modem at home costs nothing. Safari accessing the net through GPRS or EDGE would cost and get expensive, I'd guess.

Reply #183547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Awesome, I didn't realise that you can access safari with your home wireless modem. So the download usage just goes on to your regular internet account right? Do you know if you put all mobile internet things through your wireless modem or just safari? soory bout all the questions.

Reply #183573 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

When you're on your wireless network, it operates like a laptop would. Your phone and SMS still goes through your regular provider and is charged normally, but Safari, YouTube, Weather, Stocks, Maps, iTunes and any hacked games, etc - they're all using your regular network.

I use the phone for calls/SMS like a normal phone, and then Safari, Weather, Stocks and Maps when at home or work. It will also usually cache weather/stocks/maps data from the last point you were online so you can map out a route in Maps including directions ("Go 50m and then turn left") and access the cached info afterwards.

The maps stuff works pretty well. I can put in my home address, for example, and an address in Victor Harbor and it will find both and give me decent directions.

Reply #183612 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Could also be useful to find your way home after a long friday night at the pub ;)

Reply #183693 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

I'm going to wait for the 3G iPhone release as vodaphone are offering some amazing stuff on their #G network. MSN Messenger, News, 3G Mobile TV channels, list goes on and on and it's fairly cheap. Fox Sports news on mobile would be awesome, cause regular free to air news hardly has any sport.

Reply #183696 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:18 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754