Isaac
Years ago

CJ Bruton re-considering NBL options

There's an article on the Courier Mail site today talking about how CJ Bruton isn't quite lost to the NBL for the 08/09 season.

Brisbane appear to have made a revised offer (using the money saved on not having Mackinnon's salary on the books), and Cairns and New Zealand are the other two options. Interestingly, there's no mention of Perth despite them being a club who could make definite use of him and having shown early interest too.

You'd assume he'd start ahead of Mee in Cairns if Darnell were to stay with the Taipans.

Another Bullet, Dillon Boucher, has left Brisbane and is returning to New Zealand to be with his family. The Breakers are an option for Boucher. You can only assume that were they to take on Boucher and Bruton, they would have to play with a single import (to fit under the points cap).

Could be a smart move if Bruton, Penney or the import went down injured as they'd have another import spot and 10 points to use.

I'm assuming Bruton would play in place of Turner and would be an upgrade there - proven scorer and game winner. Boucher would give them defense, but doesn't really make up for the loss of Vukona's rebounding.

Topic #15560 | Report this topic

duh!  
Years ago

dang- i was gonna post this about an hour ago but you beat me to it.
if they pool money from sam into cj, then it's likely ebi won't stay, because the article also mentioned that he wouldn't play for a paycut.

http://linky.com.au/c0uh4

Reply #183630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You seem to be in the know there Isaac....

Reply #183633 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Realistically, everything I've said is able to be divulged from publically available news, knowing the confirmed roster movements and points restrictions! ;)

Oscar's been away and we haven't talked about it at all.

Reply #183639 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

There was an article about CJ today in Boti's column in Adelaide's paper.

Basically said the Bullets won't release CJ until they know which European club he's playing for. Apparrantely he said this to the Kings a few years back, things didn't work out and he signed with the Bullets. Basically there was no European team.

Also added Sam-Mac is heading to Melbourne, but not didn't specify a team.

Interesting to see what happens.

Reply #183646 | Report this post

duh!  
Years ago

if sam goes it will have to be to the tigers now as he won't fit at the dragons.
the dragons were his preferred option, but that was before he decided he wasn't going to take a pay cut when they were told that would happen several weeks ago.

Reply #183661 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

The fact that CJ is not a free agent seems like it could be problematic. Unless events have occurred that can be construed as a breach of contract in the course of the Eddie/ABC situation and the manner that it impacted on the Bullets-eg change of ownership and how it then impacted on contractual requirements or even financial obligations??

Reply #183674 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

It is an interesting one - CJ's contract would have been with the Bullets as an organisation - i.e Brisbane Bullets Pty Ltd (or similar) so change in ownership should not affect CJ's obligations, as the organisiation itself carries on as it did for the purposes of the contract.Unless there was a specific clause that released CJ in the event of ownership change. That would be unusual, but not impossible.

More common are clauses that release in the event of a coaching change, but this hasn't happened. What has probably occured is that the new owner won't pay what Eddy paid under the table. If the Bullets seek to hold CJ to the terms of the contract, and those terms specify an amount payable to CJ for next season, I would assume that the amount is the NBL sanctioned amount - ie - the amount that when added up against the rest of the team's contract amount equals the NBL salary cap.

What is interesting is that CJ is being offered less than what Eddy agreed to pay, and normally this would be enough to be released for breach of contract - BUT - the initial agreed amount contained an "unofficial" component outside of league rules, so it isn't recorded in the contract. Very interesting to see if something like this is ever litigated in the NBL.

Ben Holland is doing something similar by suing Richmond over promised business and property opportunities that never materialised. He says he rejected an offer from the Crows based on those opportunities. The line between the salary cap and outside payments is very much blurred. Holland is suing for $800K, so its not chump change.

Reply #183682 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

FFS.....Wildcats & Cal.......get this kid in a Cats uniform

Reply #183741 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

All Brisbame players contracts are in breach if they have not been full filled as Doc suggested, that is all CJ, Mac ,Dusty Big Joe needs as an escape clause.

Reply #183746 | Report this post

Clarkey  
Years ago

Hi my name is Tom clarke. you rock cj. Basketball is one of my fav sports. is it hard training neally every day? how do you stay fit?. cya

Tom

Reply #199233 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Tom

CJ is not here just now. He is busy playing in the OLYMPICS.

I am sure that on his return he will be more than happy to respond to your questions posted on a forum he possibly doesn't know exists.

Just keep refreshing this page every few minutes or so and you may eventually get the response you are after.

Cya.

(Mod: A ball to XY for being so helpful!)

Reply #199244 | Report this post

CJ Bruton  
Years ago

where am i?
and who the hell are you people?
can anyone help me out with a babysitter?
please write back to me here asap with answers to these questions.

Reply #199246 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:58 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754