I love ABL
Years ago

Funny ABL Preview: Woodville vs Forestville

Well as this is the only game of the weekend I might as well talk about it. Needless to say it is a massive games for the Warrriors. Sitting on 3 wins and 3 losses, a win here would put them equal with South and Sturt, and with their remaining 2 games of the first round being against Eastern and Centrals, they have a great chance of getting one foot in the finals door. However, it can quite as easily go the other way, a loss to the eagles puts them back in the pack and puts alot more pressure on the following 2 games. Either way, they will want to get a minimum of 2 wins out of their next three matches in order to go into the half way mark with a 5-4 record at least. A record that if they can replicate in the second half of the season should see them playing in the post season (I have looked back and found only 1 team, the eagles, have missed finals with a 10-8 record and that was on head to head with the tigers back in 2004).

Now most people would back the eagles in this one. They seem to be getting into some pretty good form on the back of some pretty good play from an improved Hoban and new recruit Gerlach, along with regulars Sutton, Arnold, Oakley and Sullivan. But I think Woodville are a real chance.

They will once again tho be looking for their two stars to do the bulk of the work. This year Wilson and Birmingham are almost averaging 45 points a game between them. Too much less that this on saturday night will probably see the eagles run away with it.

Woodvilles biggest worry will be the fact that against the other 2 'big 3' teams they got thrashed, going down to Norwood by 45 points and North on Sunday by 34 points. Having said that, their wins havn't been all that convincing either. West, Sturt and Southern all had key players out injured when the warriors beat them by 9,8, and 8 respectively. This is a good chance for them to step up as a possible finals contender.

They will be looking for their 2nd tier players to stand up this week. Kargans, McKay and Pascoe will need to come out shooting and willing to make some plays if they are to put up a competitive score. These three going 0 from 9 from three point range between them against North, will need to get a good 20 ponits between them.

Then Woodvilles bigs will need to have an impact also. Willis is getting 10 points and 14 boards a game this year but has had little help. Rees will need to back up his younger big man and help be a presence in the key. If these two can get 25 points between them, and keep Hoban to 10 or so, the Warriors will be well on the way to an upset...easier said than done maybe?

The eagles on the other hand will have one thing in mind and thats contain Wilsons inluence on the game. Keep him to under 20, and as long as Birmingham doesn't get away from them they will be thinking that will be enough.

Looking forward to the back court match ups. Wilson vs Sutton and Birmingham vs Gerlach should both be worth the entry ticket. Hoban/Mac-Taylor against Willis/Rees will also be good and possibly a bit firery.

Not sure who is going to guard Oakley. Remember last year he went for 50 points and 25 rebounds against Woodville. He again could prove a bit too much for the warrioirs to handle. Would expect the visitors to play alot of zone, and as the eagles tend to zone a fair bit also, this one could turn into a shootout, which Woodville wouldn't be all that un happy about. Outside shooting is the one thing that they have up on the eagles so as long as they connect on enough of them, and can be equal on the boards, then they would have to consider themselves a good chance.

Should be an entertaining game. I will try and get there so i can write about it next week.

Topic #15562 | Report this topic

Juror 12  
Years ago

Forestville by 60.

Reply #183651 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I'm with Juror. Forestville very, very easily

Reply #183654 | Report this post

cruella  
Years ago

Great review, but I could've sworn there are actually 2 games being played at wayville on Saturday night!!!!!!!!!!
Typical attitude or lack of attitude regarding the women's competition

Reply #183669 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Write your own preview?

The ratio of people complaining about the lack of womens content to those actually contributing womens content is always high...

Reply #183671 | Report this post

Mel Gibson  
Years ago

F/Ville women by 15.

There - done!

Reply #183676 | Report this post

mr clutch  
Years ago

Thats because mens basketball is more entertaining than womens

Reply #183678 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

relax rook

Reply #183689 | Report this post

fish  
Years ago

three double headers in a row why could we have play a game this weekend.
Its a bit hard if you get a injury when a 3rd of a season has gone its hard for the player to get up the
next day and play.

Reply #183707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you drunk fish?

Reply #183721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

could this game have been played today as an ANZAC day clash instead of saturday night? maybe in the future it could be done like that but maybe as a grand final rematch or something along those lines. all of the footy leauges seem to do it that way. would this work?

Reply #183784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville KILLED them by almost 50.

Oakley had 46, 14 and 5 blocks.

Reply #184039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I Love ABL, any chance of a recap of the game

Reply #184445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seb Wise schooled Rees.

Reply #184976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rees has nothing on seb wise BABY

Reply #214136 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:12 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754