bretts the man
Years ago

Future of the NBL

Whilst not wanting or forecasting doom and gloom and not really raising a issue that hasnt been hanging around for awhile but something positive has to happen and decent decision have to be made for the future of NBL. The demise of fast Eddy and Kings owner has put more pressure on lack of money in NBL and their clubs thus NBL have to keep tight salary caps to keep clubs a float ,but we dont keep or get the plyrs we need to provide real entertainment.
At the NBL leaders keep making wrong decisions like not ensuring we keep fox or this stupid stupid decision to go for 40 mins game time --WHY WHY
Apart from lack of value for money and effort and time to go for a 40 min game, what about the no.7-10 plyrs how much game time will they get now to kick start their careers. Worst is the powerful clubs apart from Melb. are struggling. Bullets no real money lack of plyrs left. Kings in same situation.
Wildcats cant even make a decision on a new coach .
Although some positives happening here in change of coach and positive recruiting. When there is article in Confidential part of Sunday Mail about how liitle our coach is being paid and who really owns the club and Dome and who might buy it , we also need some answers to get the numbers back to games. But most of all the NBL needs a real leader with enterprise to have a positive go at reviving the competition and marketing of it before it is too late

Topic #15563 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

not ensuring we keep fox or this stupid stupid decision to go for 40 mins game time --WHY WHY
They may be related - shorter games are easier to fit into a TV schedule...
Wildcats cant even make a decision on a new coach .
Has no bearing on the prospects of the NBL. Big deal - they'll sort something out.
about how liitle our coach is being paid
If he's motivated and working hard, why does it matter all that much? If we had signed Ballinger for a low wage, everyone would be pumped.

Reply #183649 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Some thoughts Isaac and could be right about Tv but the report was out that it was the cost trouping all over Aust. eg Cairns etc was major then you would want value for moneyin game time . Re Wildcats I am probably wrong it might be fine there . But need to appoint a coach before finalize team and they are usually so proffesional. Re sixers team is coming along well ,but it is not great that team and stadium are trying to be sold and I didnt like to hear Scottys fee was so low to be worthy of note in non sport part of mail. Seems wrong Scotty working his ass of already and getting paid pittance and we paid good money for the lazy one. Whilst you pick areas of my post you didnt give me reasons overall in what direction the NBL is heading . I want to believe. Let

Reply #183653 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't like the idea of switching to 40 minute games either, but it would bring the league in line with other competitions and potentially be more attractive to TV companies.

A number of other issues with the sport you mentioned are club specific. Some ownership changes at two clubs - outside the control of the NBL. Both franchises were always going to live on and have - they might lose a few players, but that's not a huge problem, and probably good for 36ers fans!

Perth will be fine - they have four starting-calibre locals and two spare import spots - can't see them missing the play-offs from that start.

It'd be great if Ninny was paid more for his efforts, but he's fresh blood and was likely in no position to make demands. I'm sure that if he proves successful, that dynamic will change.

And then you have the potential sale of our club and venue - where's the drama? As long as the players/staff get paid and we can still go to games, any impact would be minimal.

If someone like Sam Shahin got his hands on the club, the opportunities for cross-promotion would be significant and hardly anything but a good move.

The NBL will live on in some capacity at least and even if they scale back to fewer teams, Adelaide have too good a support-base to be denied a place in the league. If you were Wollongong, you could be worried, but everything will be fine in Adelaide I'm sure.

Reply #183659 | Report this post

New  
Years ago

On what page is it in the sunday mail about these rumours?

Reply #183660 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I did not get the sunday mail. Could anyone fill me in on that story , please.

Reply #183663 | Report this post

duh!  
Years ago

what sort of people make up the staff at the nbl?
are they people for whom it's just a job that don't need to know much about ball or is it the opposite problem- people who think they know too much about it and the old too many chiefs, not enought indians situation?

Reply #183665 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Response Re sunday mail only one article two weeks ago not in sports area but where the journo had heard what Scotty was being paid and had checked it out to find out the figure was right and thought it was derogative for the job and scotty. Re selling of Sixers and Dome not rumours. Appreciate response Isaac and if Sam Shahin purchases sixers I agree we will be better of.
I only saw it as a If you might know more.
I guess my concern re nbl is that i saw sixers win a final in a packed Rod Laver Arena many years ago although wont happen again dont want to see it decline further and with less TV exsposure leads to less sponsors and owner revenue . Nothing coming out ofnbl top office gives me any good feelings

Reply #183672 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I heard Ninnis mention that his contract was 'performance based'.
And, with Mal's partner losing his fortune, there has to be change.

Reply #183684 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:31 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754