Anonymous
Years ago

Who Should Sixers Sign Next?

APART from Hodge which Aussies do you reckon we should sign next.

Heres our current players and current roster gaps.

C - Schensher
PF- Ballinger
SF - Holmes
SG - Import (Hopefully Hodge)
PG - Davidson

BENCH

C - Cooper/Dodman
PF- Mottram
SF-
SG- Hill/Burdon
PG-

Who should we add to fill the gaps? Also, where is the full free agents list?

Topic #15569 | Report this topic

Nutwork  
Years ago

As far as I can tell Mottram hasn't been signed for next year and you missed out Brett Maher.

Reply #183698 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

There's this blope called Brett Maher who everyone seems to be forgetting about. Plays shooting guard (ironically where your gap is in the starting 5), can shoot, pass, defend, lead the team. Would be great captain's material and should definitely start.

Put him in there I reckon.

Reply #183699 | Report this post

Skillz  
Years ago

He is a top blope , Maher. Yeh lockstock. B is not near K. WTF. Way to go.

Reply #183702 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

New signing coming up soon, probably next week. Then just the import and one other spot left, I reckon.

Reply #183703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes. Yes. Yes. I Know! Don't know how I left our greatest ever of the list but there you go. Lockstock, Mahersy will most likley be coming off the bench tho. We were told to expect him to play slightly less and come off the bench so that he can stay injury free and play the whole year uninterupted. And your right about Mottram but we should sign him. Anyway, back to my question:

Who else should we sign?

Reply #183704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mottram cant be signed. they told him they were going after luke and that if they signed luke there would be no room for him. from all reports he really wanted to stay but has been forced out. thats just the way it goers i guess.

Reply #183705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does coming off the bench mean he will have an injury free and uninterrupted year?

You can still manage his minutes if he starts.

Why cant people f%$#ing understand that!!

Reply #183706 | Report this post

Ade325  
Years ago

Mottram is heading elsewhere. Done deal. Should be announced in the next couple of weeks.

Reply #183708 | Report this post

Jackie Moon  
Years ago

Cheap PG coming home.

Where is Mottram headed?

The Gong could use some front court and he could fit into Brisbane replacing McKinnon

Reply #183711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be sad to see mottram go. cheap pg from adelaide? would have to be ryan kerstan wouldn't it?

Reply #183712 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

183706, they can, but with an import to come into the line-up and media talking about a reduced/sixth-man type role, that's where they're getting it from. Realistically, the roster would be versatile enough to use him in a number of ways.

For the back-up PF spot, if they didn't take Dodman, would anyone go for Kane Oakley? It's hardly building for the future, but he'd contribute straight off and is fairly versatile. Our PF stocks locally are not really that strong - besides Dodman, who else is there? Hoban, Bungey and Lalic probably need a bit more time/improvement/etc (I like Bungey's game, but his flaws are known).

Reply #183714 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

cheap pg from adelaide.. hmmmmmm..

Reply #183720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well Oakley wouldn't be a bad option. Would have to be in the top 3 in the Central ABL. Where is he from? Melbounre? If he's not infact local then why is he playing CABL?

Reply #183724 | Report this post

Mel Gibson  
Years ago

Hey Isaac, is Oscar still contracted?

Reply #183729 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon - Oakley married an Adelaide girl I think, moved down from Cairns where he played for the Taipans.

Mel, Oscar is contracted for another couple of years.

Reply #183731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so what you are saying Isaac, the 36ers are looking for a cheap import?

Reply #183732 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Huh? The 36ers are going for Hodge! Where'd you get the impression they were going for a cheap import?

Reply #183735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry, must of read your post '714' wrong, just sounded like you said 6ers looking for sixth-man type import, my bad.

Reply #183736 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Pardon my ignorance. Would it be Ryan Kerstan that they are likely to sign, next week ?

Reply #183737 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, I was talking about Maher's potential role for 08/09.

Reply #183738 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Personally I think Erik is better value than Ryan because of his defence.

Another option to Oakley and Dodman is Rice but i have not seen him recently. With Luke signed i would think they want a PF who has more of an inside game than an outside game, and Oak tends to get his points outside. Not sure if Dodman has international U20 commitments interupting his NBL season, but his availability could be a factor also.

Also heard Oak is doing well in Real Estate or something like that, so whilst he would like to play NBL again, it might be better financially to stick with his new occupation.

Since Coach Scott has been talking up a 6th man/ bench role for Mahersy and given that they are good mates, its safe to assume that he will be tried in that role this year.

Reply #183739 | Report this post

Tangles  
Years ago

I would prefer Zorich as a backup point to davidson than Kerston and Burdon

Reply #183749 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Does anyone have any idea if there is a time frame for getting Hodge? I really hope the 36ers won't waste too much time on that. Season ticket applications have already gone out. Fans would like a better idea of the make up of the team. Whilst they have recruited well up until now, there is still some empty space that needs filling. As for Oakley, he is not a standout player in the ABL, so why would he be beneficial with the 36ers? Why is it he did not play this last season?

Reply #183774 | Report this post

36er111  
Years ago

Rumour has it Mottram is headed to Sydney.

Reply #183779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti Nagy reported that Kersten is set to sign with the Sixers. He is being released as NZ have now signed Bruton.

C Schenscher/Cooper
F Ballinger/????
F Holmes/Hill
G Import/Maher
G Davidson/Kersten

Dev: Burdon/Dodman

Reply #183780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kersten sound like a done deal then. Should we keep Dodman. I'm just a bit concerned because every time I see him in the NBL he struggles on the offensive end.

Reply #183820 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

May not be Kersten, yet.
Dodman struggles a bit, but with a bit of court time, he'll be good. Seems ideal for us for next season.

Reply #183826 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

Tangles, agree entirely with you, Zorich is the man!

Reply #183832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

newley will come back don't think we will sign a second import will look like this

C;Schensh, unfortunately coops over motts
PF:Balls, Rice
SF:Holmes, Hill
SG:Newley, Maher
PG:Davo, Kersten

Lot of homegrown talent there and should be a solid line up

Reply #183835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooper is already signed, Mottram wouldn't fit with a Import/10 points Aussie Player

Reply #183840 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

With regard to the time frame for getting Hodge.
It was stated at the press conference held on April 15th, that they hoped to sign Julius in two weeks.
That will be next week.

Reply #183871 | Report this post

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

Shame to see Motts go - top bloke as well as a top player & very under-rated

Reply #183937 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

I hope Newley actually does come back. Personally I see Hodge being a SF and moving Holmes to backup Ballinger off the bench at this point. Question is who do you replace Ng with to combo with Maher at SG.

If Newley comes back then you've got your answer right there; only thing then is to backup Hill @ SF.

Reply #185399 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I think Pero gets here in time to play Sat night for Forrestville.

Reply #185413 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:05 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754