Years ago

Is Gerald Green's NBA Career Over?

Is Gerald Green's NBA Career Over?

This is probably a little late, but I thought I'd start a discussion here about it.

Earlier in the year, the Houston Rockets waived underachieving former high-school standout Gerald Green.

When drafted by Boston in 2005, Green was seen as having the potential to become a Tracy McGrady-like player. Whilst he has shown flashes of awesome athleticism and scoring ability, the rest of his game has lagged behind, and he has ultimately not lived up to expectations so far in his brief NBA career. His only real tangible achievement is a win in the 2007 Sprite Rising Stars Slam Dunk Contest.

Whilst Green was in Boston, I read a couple of reports where Danny Ainge and co. mentioned that he was full of potential, but everything else was lagging behind. I thought that him coming to a (relatively) veteran team such as his hometown Rockets would help him realise his potential. However, they don't seem to want him now, so we might never know.

IMO, Green should definitely have gone to college. He backed out at the last minute from a verbal agreement to attend Oklahoma State, and then went straight to the NBA. Whilst he was very highly touted coming out of high school, his projected potential is very far from being reached. He's very unpolished. He is virtually non-existent on the defensive end, and really just relies on his athleticism and talent on offense. If he'd attended (and stayed) at college, he'd currently be an excellent Junior for the Cowboys (and Eddie Sutton might still be coaching at Ok St.).

He's still only 22, and still has great potential, but his game is very raw and unpolished. So then, do people think this is the end of the road for Gerald Green as far as the NBA goes?

Topic #15606 | Report this topic

Fezlington  
Years ago

Nope.....he will get another gig

If not, im sure he will get a decent pay packet in Europe

Reply #184038 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

If the major cash and time commitment given to him as an NBA player couldn't motivate him, what makes you think he coulda stuck it out in college ?

Reply #184109 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

What would be the max avaliable for players in Euro comapred to the NBA?
Is there a cap in Euro or is it like the English Soccer where the rich teams buy all the talent?

Reply #184156 | Report this post

Dan  
Years ago

He'd fit right in at the Warriors.

Reply #184342 | Report this post

Years ago

I think the major cash and time commitment given to him might have been precisely what made him complacent. From what I've read (mainly stuff from when he was in Boston), he wasn't really a very hard worker, so he probably just thought he could get by on talent and athleticism alone, and the money and spot on any team would take care of itself.

Reply #185917 | Report this post

Years ago

It's been mentioned in another thread, but it looks like the Dallas Mavericks have signed Gerald Green:

http://www.nba.com/mavericks/news/Green_signs070308.html

According to the article:

"Green didn't have to wait until the league moratorium ends on July 9. Minimum contracts of one or two years can be signed at this time. He's expected to join the summer league team, which begins practices Monday."

Reply #192929 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:36 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754