Isaac
Years ago

NH: Anyone watching the IPL?

I've caught bits and pieces of a few IPL games so far and it's seemed pretty entertaining. One game (Mumbai, perhaps) had a mostly empty stadium, but a couple of the other games were almost packed out in huge venues.

Main issue seems to be that I have no knowledge of what makes a good 20/20 score or a reasonable strike rate for bowlers. I'm used to tuning into a one-dayer, seeing the score, and knowing how that sits for a typical score or how far off the records it would be.

Anyone else watching the IPL?

Topic #15624 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah who knows what a good score is, 200 i think seems good. I also dont know why they toss to see what they want to do everyone bats first. Also after the aussie players are gone i have little conection with the team and dont really care who wins or looses (can be a good thing) I think it will continue to be big in India but not so much in other nations.

Reply #184143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have watched just about every match on Channel 10. Australians have scored 3 out of the 4 centuries in the IPL so far. It is great watching Gilchrist, Hayden, Watson, Symonds play well. Unfortunately Ponting hasn't played too impressively.

Despite the time difference, i like the IPL concept and there are huge crowds to just about every game. Unfortunately the crowd act like such lunatics they have (and need) a large fence around the ground.

A good score depends on the pitch. It is harder to predict in the sub continent than in Australia because we get little spin or reverse swing. I would suggest 240+ would be a good score, however in India the scores are generally lower because of the conditions so i would suggest 200+ would be a better than average score.

Reply #184145 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Who was the guy in early for the RC's the other night who smacked a couple of consecutive sixes? Had never heard of him before. Can't even remember his name now.

Reply #184148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simon Katich?

Reply #184152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://iplt20.com/royal_challengers.html

Reply #184155 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It was Ross Taylor - wondered if he was NZ or SAf - turns out he's a Kiwi. Thanks.

Reply #184158 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Some of the 'crowds' are fake, apparently a lot of tickets are being given away, as this 'sport' is made for TV and the network(s) weren't happy with the possible empty seating. I've heard on some sport shows that the day games are selling horribly. And the owners of the franchises are bleeding money right now.

I'm not a cricket fan, but I do find myself watching it, as it's a lot more entertaining just for the pure fact that there isn't a lot of mucking around, the batters come out and start swinging.

It does interest me that, a couple of nights ago, a team made something like 3 for 240 in 20 overs. Imagine that sort of a score translated into 50 over cricket. You're looking at nearly 600 runs!!

Not sure if this will succeed but I think it will change the way 50 over cricket is played in the future.

Reply #184159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

20/20 is played very differently to 50 over cricket though, and a very good team would get out by the 25/30th over at 20/20 run rate.

Reply #184164 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I have to admit, I'm starting to get a little bit over it. The thing still runs right through 'til June 1! But I think a scaled down viewing schedule may counter that - most nights is just too much for me.

Quick question. Am I the only one who just wants to tell that owner of the 'Knight Riders' to sit down, and shut up? I think he is some Bollywood star? Possibly the most annoying man I have ever seen....

Reply #184191 | Report this post

Keefy  
Years ago

Yeah, he's a bollywood star, nicknamed 'King Kahn' get's very animated, he wasn't at their game over the weekend.

I think all the Aussies leave at the end of this week as they go into a week long training camp before the tour of the West Indies which begins in late May.

Reply #184200 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

I am watching when I can, Saturday and Sunday are particularly good as the games start at 8:30pm (on HD). It is an interesting idea, particularly what the owners thought would be a good team - Mumbai is the most expensive team but yet hasn't won game (although Tendulkar is injured), yet Rajasthan is the cheapest team and is second on the ladder!

Interesting to note the comment above (#184143) about why they worry about the toss as everyone bats first - not quite correct. 8 times out of 14 have they chosen to bat first. Although winning the toss seems like a bad idea anyway as only 4 times has the toss winner won the game... and three of those have chosen to field first!

Alot of the Australians will now be leaving in readiness for the West Indies tour, it will be interesting to see if interests wans after this happens. Although there will still be quite a few Australians playing after this point anyway (Warne, McGrath, D Hussey, Gilchrist etc)

Reply #184201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So am I to understand that channel 10 show game live on tenHD and delayed on the regular channel ten. Why are games earlier on HD on weekends yet on weekday tenhd and regualr chanel ten show it at the same time?

Reply #184228 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

because on the weekend 10 has other commitments, and since not all shows are produced in HD it makes snece that they are able to show the games live on HD but not on SD. As for the weekday question, AFAIK these games are shown live on HD and SD the games dont start timm 8:30 or something over there.

I love the IPL its very entertaining but staying up till 4 in the morning every night isnt great.

Reply #184271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thanks nutter.

Reply #185385 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:45 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754