duh!
Years ago

Sam Mack withdraws from Olympics: health scare

it was reported in yesterday's newspaper that sam has withdrawn from the Olympics after a blood clot from his injured leg had worked it's way into his lungs.
he's now on blood thinning medication for the next 3 months and not allowed to play any contact sports for that time.
still looks to go to the tigers now though as reported.
poor bugger- he left us but i wouldn't wish that on anybody.
he said he's been suffering from chest pains last week- the fact that things came to a head with the team the way they did wouldn't help.
i wonder if he will sell his awesome pizza shop...

Topic #15626 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Press conference at 11am at MSAC to talk about this. Involved Jason Smith so I think he's making himself unavailable also.

This was the press release that came through yesterday:

A press conference will be held at 11:00am on Monday 28 April 2008 at the Melbourne Sports & Aquatic Centre (MSAC) with Australia Post Boomers head coach Brian Goorjian and two-time Olympian Jason Smith.

Brian Goorjian arrives in Melbourne tomorrow morning after a three week tour of the globe, where he received strong commitments from overseas-based players, but was met with devastating news for the program upon his return.

Major announcements regarding the availability of Australia Post Boomers captain Sam Mackinnon and two-time Olympian Jason Smith will be made at the press conference.

Reply #184173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

luck he had pains and went and got them checked out. As for smith i wont shed a tear.

Reply #184174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

look the two biggest veterans of the boomers wont be able to play... that does worry me. not just for the oncourt stuff, also the lockerroom morale and so forth. i think James harvey should now take a guard spot,

Reply #184177 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Details on Foxsports website right now...

http://linky.com.au/5w25e

Reply #184182 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Unlucky for Sam...

When I was reading the first post in this thread, I was think how this would basically mean Smith is going to Beijing by default.

It's not nice to say, but I'm glad Smith isn't going.

The biggest question is now who steps up and fills the void.

Reply #184185 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

TR, I would think that now makes a lock for Redhage as Australia's one naturalised player.

Ingles may get a look in for Smith too.

Reply #184188 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

XY, pretty much came up with the same conclusion after looking at the squad.

Only issue I see with that is it now leaves the Boomers backcourt potentially a little small, which is why I originally wanted Mee.

or

They go the youth movement and bring in Maric, Loughton or Jawai and fingers crossed they can contribute.

Safe bet is Redhage, but I like to see some forward thinking towards Turkey in 2010 and London in 2012.

Reply #184196 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

We have another World Championships before London don't forget.

You could bring in the extra tall timber, but we are short on the quality guards department.

Redhage is going to be super-important in Beijing.

Saville may also get a look in, but Smith's absence means players like Damien Ryan, Jason Harvey and even Ingles will have more a of a chance in making the team.

Reply #184202 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:40 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754