LC
Years ago

Boomers team for Beijing

With Mackinnon and Smith ruled out of contention for the Boomers team, I rekindle the discussion on who should make the team.

Here's my picks:

- Andrew Bogut
- David Andersen
- Chris Anstey
- Matthew Nielson
- Shaun Redhage *
- Mark Worthington
- David Barlow
- Brad Newley
- CJ Bruton
- Patrick Mills
- Damien Ryan *
- James Harvey *

Those players I have placed a star against their names are clearly up for debate in my opinion.

Other players still in contention would be:

- Adam Gibson
- Luke Kendall
- Nathan Jawai

I have gone for Damien Ryan as the team needs a pure shooter in the lineup.

James Harvey deserves his shot at a place and takes a spot that otherwise would have been taken by Smith.

Redhage is arguably the best forward in the NBL.

I think by taking Jawai I think we become top-heavy, and along with players like Bruce, Maric, Ogilvy and Ingles, they should start working thier butts off for the 2012 London games.

Just my thoughts...

Topic #15628 | Report this topic

the_champ33  
Years ago

I would have select Adam Ballinger in that squad. However he's not a naturalised Aussie citizen yet and rules out this request.

Reply #184186 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Pretty happy with that squad LC.

I orginally wanted Mee to be included purely for his defense and size in the back court, but with Sammy going down I have to include Redhage instead of Mee.

Bruton/Mills
Barlow/Newley
Worthington/Harvey
Neilson/Andersen/Redhage
Bogut/Anstey

This could also open the door for Saville...

Reply #184190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles will definitely make it - especially with goorj coaching dragons now

Reply #184207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles deserves the spot over barlow
he has worked on his whole game alot in the past year
and i think he deserves his call up for the squad

Reply #184210 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Ingles over Barlow? You have got to be joking. Ingles may be working hard on his game, but over the past 12 months Barlow has performed way above the level of Ingles.
IF Ingles does make it (and he is still a good chance), he will only be player 11 or 12 at best.

Reply #184212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so give him the expeirnce
he is the future
he better make it

Reply #184222 | Report this post

Mookie  
Years ago

Jawai will be in the team. Goorjian is a massive fan of his and will give the team some exposure.

Reply #184224 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Gotta agree on that one LC, Barlow has stepped it up and was very consistent last year, admittedly with an awesome team around him, whereas the same can't be said for Ingles' team.

I think the guard spots will be the most contentious in selection and is potentially our weak link when comparing with some of the other Olympic power house teams.

Reply #184225 | Report this post

Cheech  
Years ago

aaron bruce???

Reply #184229 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

Bruton/Mills
Barlow/Newley
Wortho/Redhage/Ingles
Neilsen/Andersen/Jawai
Bogut/Anstey

ftw

(It's probable that we'd take another guard instead of Jawai, with Redhage becoming the 5th "tall". The question would then be, which guard?)

Reply #184245 | Report this post

WOODY  
Years ago

Jawai must Play are you kidding me anstey is a small forward power forward at imternational level i wish he would stop shooting 3's weel get much more of a low post presence with jawai.

Mee must make the squad size and quik hands will absoloutely be more worth to us than damien ryan fo sho.

i like brad robbins but he wont make it.

Reply #184249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is James Harvey going to do against the worlds best guards who are long and athletic? Fair enough he's been awesome in Australia, but IMO thats his limit.

Gorg needs to take Newley (obvious reasons, hes dangerous against any team), Barlow (Long, athletic, strong, good defender) and Ingles (Great work ethic, long, athletic, can score, can defend guards and small forwards)

Plus why wouldnt Australia want to promote their young players? Especially when they are a good fit to the team.

As for the bigs - Bogut, Anstey, Anderson, Neilson are locked in. Its a pitty Nathan and/or AJ will have to miss out, but thats that. If i had to take one i'd take Jawaii, the more size the better, plus it would be good to get him on the world stage.

SO........... My main 10

Bruton
Mills
Newley
Barlow
Ingles
Worthington
Neilson
Anderson
Anstey
Bogut

Final two spots between Bruce/Ryan and Jawaii/AJ

Reply #184318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yea i agree with anons team above
great team
with jawaii they will be really good

Reply #184321 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

Nope I'd have A.J in there, Anyone who is picked to go around 17 in the first round of the draft had to be put higher over Jawai. I agree Jawai is a tallent, but did anyone watch anything besides his DUNKS!. Got a lot to work on. AJ has experiance already with leading the EMUs with Mills. Plus I think he is a more polished player than Jawai atm. He his still just as big as Jawai.

Bogut/A.J/Jawai
Anderson/Anstey
Neilson/Wortho
Newley/Borlow
Mills/Bruton
Leaving a spot of Ingles or Harey I reckon.

Reply #184325 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

My squad

Bruton/Mills
Newley/Ingles/Harvey
Neilsen/Worthington
Andersen/Jawai/Redhage
Bogut/Anstey

Reply #184326 | Report this post

M-Wills  
Years ago

Agree with you Flip, Jawai doesn't have the post skils to mix it with the worlds best. In the NBL, sheer athleticism and size can get you your buckets, but in international competetion, you need developed post moves and polished footwork to score. AJ has all that. Jawai doesn't.

AJ has had some great experience too as you said been an intergral part of the Emus and a real standout. He has had international experience. Not too sure that Jawai is ready. But in the 2010 World Champs, watch out for Jawai, because he will dominate, as he would have developed his post moves, face to basket moves and a nice soldi mid-range jumper.

Reply #184366 | Report this post

Hoody  
Years ago

AJ is ahead of Jawai for sure in regards to their development. Ogilvy is a far more complete and polished player at this point in time.
I actually would love to see one of them make the team, and Goorj will probably opt for one of them even though I don't think he should in this instance.
Ingles is only an outside shot at best to make the team...Barlow is ahead of him in the pecking order.
Harvey will provide some "fire in the belly" kind of attitude the team, needs, even though he may well spend considerable time warming the bench. Deserves a shot.

Reply #184384 | Report this post

DandyBoi  
Years ago

All time greatest Boomers team? Something worth pondering...

* Andrew Gaze
* Shane Heal
* Andrew Vlahov
* Luc Longley
* Mark Bradtke
* Sam Mackinnon
* Eddie Palubinskas
* Andrew Bogut
* Larry Sengstock
* Tony Ronaldson
* Voldemort
* Ray Borner

Reply #184390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's sad when a player with College and NBA experience AKA Luke Schenscher isn't in the running and I think he might do a better job than Anstey.
Why hasn't he been mentioned? Am I missing something?

Reply #184460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My pick would be:

Mee / Mills
Newley / Barlow / Harvey
Neilson / Redhage
Anstey / Worthington
Bogut / Jawai / Schenscher

Mee can play 1, 2 or 3 spot
Mills 1,2
Newley 2,3
Barlow 2,3
Harvey 1,2,3
Neilson 3,4,5
Redhage 2,3,4
Anstey 3,4,5
Worthington 3,4
Bogut 5
Jawai 4,5
Schenscher 4,5

All positions are covered with multiple combinations.

Reply #184462 | Report this post

Round Orange Ball  
Years ago

Change Anderson for Worthington and the above team would probably be the best we have ever sent!

Reply #184464 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Andersen is way better than Wortho, but they are also different types of players. Andersen is a centre/forward. Keep in mind Andersen is one of the best big men in Europe - and on one of the top teams at that! Both men will make the team.

Schenscher has potential - unrealised at that. He will not make the Boomers team for Beijing as he is clearly behind Bogut and Andersen. Anstey will play off the bench. Bogut, Andersen, Nielson and Anstey provide variety as they are all different types of players THAT CAN AND DO SCORE in many different ways. Options galore. Schenscher is limited in scoring ability and is a solid role player at best.

Mee's height the only thing I see going for him. We can only take one naturalised player and hence it is either Mee or Redhage. I would take Redhage.

Starting lineup will look like this IMO:

C Bogut
F Andersen
F Worthington
G Newley
G Bruton

Nielson, Anstey and Mills off the bench will play big minutes.

Reply #184466 | Report this post

steve hull  
Years ago

i have 1 question about the final boomers 12.
who is going to be the 12th player picked ?
coach will have to have to carry a safety spot for injuries etc !
options - schensher a big 5 for bogut's safety
- ryan a great pinch shooter off bench in case newley doesnt fire,or drops his bottom lip !!
- jawai potential @ 4 spot to keep pressure on own team mates performances.

Reply #185084 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I wonder why we can only take one naturalised player.
I'd be curious to know how that works?

Reply #185088 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

FIBA rule that only 1 naturalised player can play for any one country.

Reply #185089 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw. Ballinger may never play for Australia?

Reply #185244 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:39 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754