lockstock
Years ago

The Critically Acclaimed Phoenix Suns

Read this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/080501

Great Article! I never realised the Suns front office made sooooo many bad trades/decisions.

As a Suns fan, I rue the dynasty that could have been..

Topic #15674 | Report this topic

mundy  
Years ago

reading that article made me throw up in my mouth a little. dammit we could of beeeeen gooooood.

Reply #184868 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Great article. Cheers for that. This part made a lot of sense:

"One more thing: I don't know Robert Sarver. Never met the guy, never heard anything bad about him, couldn't vouch for his financial situation. For all I know, he's the greatest guy ever. But for the life of me, I can't imagine why someone would want to own an NBA team if he cared more about breaking even than winning a championship. What's the point? Why not sell to someone who cares more about a title? Like so many other NBA fans, I have a pipe dream of stumbling into enough wealth to own an NBA team some day. It will never happen, but really, it's my ultimate pipe dream other than my daughter turning into a world-class tennis player and me turning into one of those deranged Tennis Dads who shows up for every match flashing hand signals and intimidating the judges. Anyway, if I were fortunate enough to own an NBA team, I would never, ever, EVER favor my pockets over a chance at a title. I just wouldn't. It's like going to Vegas for a guy's weekend and refusing to lose more than $100. Why even go then? Just stay home."

Reply #184892 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reminded me of EC's comments about Hemmerling.

And I have to disagree with Simmons. Sure, it'd be nice to be in it to win it, but you could still have a ball owning a club without winning a championship. You could still go to Vegas and have a decent time without placing a bet (I'm guessing).

Reply #184899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another great article by Simmons. As a Suns fan I was thinking of all these things while watching the playoffs this year, watching Johnson tear it up against the C's and Iggy performing for the 6ers!
Wow, what could've been...
Amare
Marion
Iggy
Johnson
Nash

Bell
Thomas
Barbosa
Rodriguez
Some size like Hunter
Some vet. buyout guys to fill out the roster
Rudy Fernandez on his way over
Draft picks, a future and some room 2 move

Reply #184931 | Report this post

Nash2Stoudemire  
Years ago

Wow.

I've followed the Suns during all of this and have seen all the moves happen, but I never really looked at them all as a whole like that.

I didn't feel as angry/sad as i expected to because none of the situations were new to me, however I hate to see it laid out so simple like that and seeing how easily we could have been so much better.

Robert 'Saver' really has destroyed the Suns by being such a cheap pr**k!

Reply #184940 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:59 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754