Nick
Years ago

Sutton and Dench officially gone?

Obviously the Sixers would be mad to re-sign Sutton and/or Dench but are they officially gone yet? I noticed that they no longer appear on the players page on the 36ers website so that might be hint I suppose. Anyone know for sure? Do you reckon Dench and/or Sutton will get picked up at another NBL club? I would think you'd need to be pretty desperate if you're going to sign Dench. Sutts isn't a bad player IMO but he was disappointing this past season and the Sixers have done much better with Kersten. Seems unlikely but he might score a minor minutes gig elsewhere assuming the Sixers release him.

Topic #15697 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

I wouldn't say a team would be desperate if they sign Dench. Even that I hated him here, he would still add value to some other teams. Unfortunately, for Sutton his unselfish nature he has developed over the years might lead to him not playing in the NBL again. He needs to become more of an offensive threat as well as develop a consistent 3 point shot. If that happens then he has a chance to continue in the NBL as a bench player. However, I don't think he will play in the NBL again.

Reply #185021 | Report this post

Murry Magpie  
Years ago

They are conspicuous by their absence. I think it just confirms what everyone has known for a long time

Reply #185034 | Report this post

The authors name says it all!

Reply #185077 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Dench needed a fire lit under his arse to do anything. I remember going to the pre-season game vs. Perth and his first move was a run-up baseline line and I thought "snap; I do hope there's more of them" ...then proceeded to be disappointed all season.

Sutton is probably the worst dev. player the sixers have had. Waited until the final game of the season to do anything. Frankly, dump Sutton and replace him with Burdon.

Reply #185355 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

and I meant baseline Dunk, not baseline line

Reply #185356 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sutton wasn't a development player last season and I don't think he has been either the worst player or the worst development player (I also think it's very harsh to brutally judge these guys that've come in on low wages, low minutes, etc).

The season before, he was widely considered to be quite useful and a level-headed contributor.

His spot in the ten has been effectively taken by Ryan Kersten.

Reply #185357 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Good point Isaac; he did actually add some flare at the end of the 06/07 season which I suppose was why he was added this past season; however you can't really blame low minutes for anything. It entirely depends on what you do with the minutes more than anything.

Reply #185359 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Marty, Sutton was mucked about somewhat, a starter one minute, stuff all time the next, and yanked out of a couple of games (Breakers in NZ, Kings in Sydney) when he was actually playing well and being aggressive offensively.

Still a good defender and ran the offence ok, but went into his shell offensively and never came out (other than the last game). Isaac is right, he was a real positive the season before. I doubt though that he has done enough to impress any other team, so he may well be done at NBL level.

Reply #185369 | Report this post

Murry Magpie  
Years ago

Sutts will do well under a coach who encourages him and brings out his best.
The Wookie needs to be more focussed. One game he plays a blinder, next he is an ashtray on a motorcycle

Reply #185384 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Inconsistent minutes can really hamper the progress and confidence of a player, IMO.

Reply #185415 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:24 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754