???
Years ago

Unwanted Juniors moving Clubs

What is everyones opinion about successful and unwanted juniors from the BIG clubs who want to play ABL on a consistent basis??

Surely it would be a step in the right direction for these youth superstars?

Any thoughts people?????

Topic #15706 | Report this topic

wooo hooo  
Years ago

sounds like the right way to if that is what they want.

i can not believe the amount of talented u20/21 or even 18s that do not get offered or directed towards the senior programmes at some clubs - due to teh "can't approach juniors rule".

I feel that this handshake agreement should only be for u16s down.

Q - readers - are juniors at your club encouraged or recruited into the senior ranks at any level?

if at a large club an average player may not feel any worth because tehy are not invited into their senior programme - yet another club may be in need of their services.

clubs can approach seniors if they are not on the required list - but not older juniors

Reply #185073 | Report this post

Chief 07  
Years ago

Can't say who but IT IS SERIOUS!!!!

Reply #185074 | Report this post

Blood Nuts  
Years ago

Apparently it is Norwood State Champion U-20's that are moving cause Sapwell isn't giving them any minutes!!

Reply #185076 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Do the new clearance rules apply to them also, eg cant move until the end to the season??

Reply #185083 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

There's probably only two players on that team that deserve ABL minutes and one of them I thought had given basketball away to play football!
The other side of this arguement is that if you look at the Norwood team is that one of their strengths is that they are a very deep team, so it would be hard to fit in more than one or maybe two junior players.

Reply #185085 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I should have put after Norwood (if this is in fact the club)...

Reply #185086 | Report this post

SAD  
Years ago

This is surely one of the biggest issues facing most Clubs. Div 2 is a great comp, I do worry that many of our juniors are not taking that level seriously.
A Club cannot put all its juniors into their ABA teams, there is often just too many.
We obviously need to build the profile of the div 2 -3 senior program's or extend under 20's to under 25's.
On the other hand quite a few ABA teams have players that could be moved on to make spots.
No Club should be loosing their juniors at that time of their career, surely this is a competition problem!!

Reply #185094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If more players took chances in their junior years and played for less fashionable clubs not only would getting ABL minutes not be a problem but junior basketball would be a competitive not only in SA at but Nationally.

Reply #185098 | Report this post

Flinders 18  
Years ago

Maybe a Youth League is the answer. It is succesfully run in Perth, brisbane, sydney and Melbourne. Why not here?

Reply #185099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because the drop off rate post 18's is huge. Kids who play only for the top clubs and don't get places or enough minutes in the ABl are getting reality checks they have never faced before.
Some of these players have never played in teams that haven't been top four and the reality is they are finding out that basketball is full of good players, not great ones. How much better might they have been if they had to do better or were pushed to achieve, took leadership and reached their potential in a team where they were asked to be the better/ best player.

Reply #185103 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I also think that the youth of today take it all a bit for granted. It's been said on here before and i'll say it again. Don't expect just to walk straight from under 20's straight into an ABL team let alone then complain about minutes! Maybe if you were playing for a bottom 3 ABL club and the coach/club weren't looking at their future that may be a different story. But when your talking about the top two teams of the league that have been mentioned then it is no suprise juniors are struggling to crack the team. Continue to work hard and you may be a part of a very successful club or...drop me an email with your details!!! ;)

Reply #185104 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

It's a problem alot of clubs (esp Norwood) have had for years. North seem to have a good integration of 18s/20s into Senior Div 1/2/3 sides.

Reply #185113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imagine if 2 Adelaide based teams were to play SEABL. Would open up the opportunities for more players to play at ABA level in the Central comp. And with opportunities can come some surprising increase in abilities and game.

Reply #185420 | Report this post

not again  
Years ago

And would mean that $200K per year would be sucked out of junior basketball to pay for a senior program that doesn't develop anything.

Reply #185430 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:10 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754