Anonymous
Years ago

Scrap the present transfer rule

The recently introduced,'can't move during the season rule' may need a rethink as unhappy juniors are locked in. There are many kids who would benefit by being promoted either in division or with quality court time at other clubs but are languishing on the bench or in Div 2 because of this rule. Promises made by coaches to keep kids at the start of the season seem to vanish once they play the first game and have to stay.

Topic #15711 | Report this topic

Disagree  
Years ago

I love the present transfer rule. Teaches kids (and their fickle parents) to work hard and not quit as soon as the going gets tough. Also, teaches them to work through any issues rather than take the easy option.

It also helps the competition, as there are forfeits and withdrawals when transfers weaken teams. 1 or 2 movements can seriously impact upon any team over winter when sickness and injuries are highest.

They can always move at the end of the season if they want.

It is also child's play when you compare it to transfer rules in say US colleges. There you have to sit out a year when you transfer.

This is one of the best decisions made in recent times, well done BSA.

Reply #185096 | Report this post

Boyblunder  
Years ago

Totally disagree with you.

Also switch "unhappy juniors" for "unhappy parents" as it is 9 times out of ten a parent with an over inflated view of their child that is forcing the kid to make the move.

Now kids ARE locked to a club rather than moving half way through a season just because they are not getting the court time they expected. It also serves to take pressure off clubs & coaches who may be threatened with player x or y walking to another club just because the cards may not be falling there way.

There is also the other side of the coin that the kids that have put up their hand and done all the hard work are not then just shoved down the bench when the next superstar kid whose court time has been reduced by 0.38 seconds per game decides they want to play for the coach who promises the earth.

It makes the kids, but more importantly the parents, give more thought as to what club is best going to meet their needs for an upcoming season.

One club in particular has made an art form of wooing kids from one of the "Big two" clubs. The last two they tried to sway had to make up their minds before the season started, not half way through. After this weekend I dare say one set of those parents are now wishing they made the move before the season; Tuff!

Great rule.

Reply #185100 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

I thought the rule would lead to a large number of transfers between seasons but there seem to have been fewer transfers than in previous years.

At least it stops the knee jerk reaction to coach/division/team placement at the start of the season that often gets sorted out in a few weeks.

Reply #185110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clubs need to also be held accountable. Receiving letters saying you are playing Div 1 or 2 when the number of letters distributed in such a form outweighs the number of positions is misleading. Get your signature and get your fees then, oh sorry, we made a mistake and we have too many in that team.

Oh well, I guess kids do have options even if they can't switch clubs. Clubs also need to do the right thing to ensure kids don't move to football.

Reply #185122 | Report this post

Boyblunder  
Years ago

Clubs are offering letters of acceptance? I would have thought if you had a letter in your hands then you had a commitment from that club.

I dont need to know what club, but what age group are we talking about?

U16's by any chance? If so your not alone.

Reply #185125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U16 & U18's. Exactly - but what is the point of arguing when you have other kids involved at the club. Might be that next time we do accept the approaches from another club to shift our youngest child.

Reply #185128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Soory clarification of the above post - My son is U16's but I am aware of this happening also in U 18's

Reply #185131 | Report this post

Boyblunder  
Years ago

I think there are two things to keep in mind.

First is what is best for the child.

The second kind of goes hand in hand with the first and that is what sort of reputation you have from gained by shifting clubs?

If you have shifted to 3 different clubs in three 3 years then you really have to take into consideration if your child is being helped or hindered by so many moves.

Is a coach going to put time and effort into a "club hopper"

Its only my opinion but I think both questions need equal consideration.

Also the hassle involved with two siblings at two different clubs. The logistics can be overwhelming.

Reply #185132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree there are many other considerations to take into account and there are too many what-if scenarios to discuss here. My point though is that if clubs want to be protected from players jumping mid season then they should be up front with possible team placings rather than simply mis-lead knowing they have this new rule that protects their numbers and revenue.

Reply #185134 | Report this post

Boyblunder  
Years ago

"they should be up front with possible team placings rather than simply mis-lead"

Cant argue on that point.

Reply #185135 | Report this post

Too many  
Years ago

Agree with all of the above, issue for my lad is 9-10 kids in his team, Coach has favs, only Div 2, supposed to get fair court time as it is a club policy - but it is not happening, Coaches need more education about this and that it is enjoyment for the KIDS, not the coaches egos and WINNING at all costs, kids become disheartened, lose their confidence, no court time or limited court time also means no improvement = disgruntled parents and kids = may sit out the rest of the season then move.

Reply #185141 | Report this post

Too many  
Years ago

Agree with all of the above, issue for my lad is 9-10 kids in his team, Coach has favs, only Div 2, supposed to get fair court time as it is a club policy - but it is not happening, Coaches need more education about this and that it is enjoyment for the KIDS, not the coaches egos and WINNING at all costs, kids become disheartened, lose their confidence, no court time or limited court time also means no improvement = disgruntled parents and kids = may sit out the rest of the season then move.

Reply #185142 | Report this post

Gordon Ramsey  
Years ago

Too many,

You should move you kid to social basketball - kids who play district want to win. Some are happy to play less minutes but be part of a winning team. Either that or ask to move down a division where they can then be big fish in small pond! Aother kid, as per the above, would be happy to take their place and play in a tougher competition.

Reply #185148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have no idea Gordon!

Reply #185150 | Report this post

Gordon Ramsey  
Years ago

More info please #185150

Reply #185153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gordon,

You are not fully understanding the different scenarios and jump to the conclusion these kids do not want to win or not prepared to train hard etc.

In some cases nothing could be further from the truth. The issue here is that many kids commit to the club based on commitments given by the club as to teams, coaches etc. In some cases the club has no intention of honouring those commitments, or are simply incompetent, when the same commitment has been given to more kids than is possible to be placed in a specific team or squad.

Unfortunately under the current structure they have to just make the best of the year and hopefully get some enjoyment or development out of the situation. In some cases it is made all the more difficult to swallow when mates who were in the same team in the previous season decided to move on and competing, and i do mean competing, at a higher level.

In some cases other clubs would be more than willing to pick up some of these disenchanted kids as it woill boulster their teams and improve the overall competition.

So to make an ill thought out comment like yours adds nothing to the situation but simply further ridicules kids who do want to improve and commit to basketball over other sports

Reply #185161 | Report this post

Gordon Ramsey  
Years ago

#185161,

I agree with what you say. However it is a different scenario to what 'Too many' presented. They were complaining about court time and playing to win. They have a social basketball philosophy and that is where they belong!

Reply #185166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gordon, your comments about kids 'being happy in some case to play less minutes to be part of a wining team' are very true but as you will see from other threads, these are the very kids who miss the ABL boat and complain about not getting a gig or minutes in the seniors.
Maybe these are the very players, the low minute guys, who should be testing themselves against better players by playing for less popular clubs and earn more court time.

Reply #185168 | Report this post

Gordon Ramsey  
Years ago

#185168,

They may very well be the ones not getting a senior gig - but don't you think you're getting ahead of yourself; planning for your senior sport entertainment (cos lets face it, that's what it will be for 99% of players) when you're in U16's? It also states in other threads how many kids have given it all away by then.

I agree that the low minutes juniors should consider moving to other clubs - this may well give them more court time and quite possibly help to even up the competition. Maybe if more did it then some of the state champs competitions would be between more than 2 or 3 clubs.

Reply #185170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sorry Gordon, I didn't pick up on that Too Many was in fact one person's alias - i thought you were referring to all of us!

Reply #185171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about changing the transfer rule to be a compromise of current rule and previous rule. You can transfer as in the past providing you are going to a weaker club based on some criteria and if wanting to move to a stronger club you must wait for the end of the season. Stops the stronger clubs getting stronger in the short term but helps strengthens the competition a little if a kid was prepared to move to a weaker club.

Reply #185175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How could you possibly have a rule that is not even for all clubs?
Ridiculous idea.

Reply #185181 | Report this post

Spirit  
Years ago

You can transfer between the summer and winter seasons if you are unhappy with what happens over summer. It's not THAT hard is it?

Reply #185186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sure it is a ridiculous idea; but it certainly isn't the only inequitable situation in SA Basketball. This idea is not about the clubs but is about the individuals. The club has by its deceit decided this player is not core to its plans but has tried to retain the player. Why not allow the individual the opportunity to improve his lot and at the same time possibly strenghten the competition.

And, upon reflection, it is not different rules for different clubs. It is the same rule for everyone but whether or not you can avail yourself of the rule depends on your standings - a bit like the priority draft rules in the AFL.

Reply #185187 | Report this post

borat  
Years ago

current rule - made by association and clubs

rule = benefits them

doesn't benefit players

but i understand - too many individuals think it is on their terms

Reply #185226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is the same rule for everyone but whether or not you can avail yourself of the rule depends on your standings

Which means it is NOT the same rule for everyone....

Reply #185249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is the same rule applies to everyone - it is conditional same as draft rule in AFL

Reply #185260 | Report this post

Flinders 56  
Years ago

Doesn't matter. Either way, it's a ridiculous idea. NEXT!

Reply #185266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well don't have the rule and hold clubs accountable for their actions in retaining players with false offers!

Reply #185271 | Report this post

Boyblunder  
Years ago

Im in favour of it. Keep the rule.

Reply #185273 | Report this post

Spirit  
Years ago

Why didn't you move at the end of the summer season?

So move at the end of the season, and let the club know why. That way, the club can then do what is necessary to make sure it doesn't happen again. If they chose to not do anything about it you are better of at anotrher club. But moving during the season is not the answer anyway, all that teaches kids is to quit.

Chances are that it is the individual coach's ego and not the clubs position.

Not sure what you mean about offers? If a coach offers you a spot in the team or X amount of court time, then you should be wary in the first place.

Reply #185274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spirit, would you take lies and false promises in your job and watch as others were promoted over you or look for a better job?

Reply #185276 | Report this post

Spirit  
Years ago

Again, you are nor being stopped from changing clubs, just do it at the end of the season when it won't cause clubs to lose entire teams, and make every player have their draw changed

And, I would not quit without giving my 2 weeks notice and working to the best of my ability during those 2 weeks. Therefore leaving those people who rely on my work to maintain there normal lives at risk of being put out.

See out the season, write to your club and let them know exactly what was said and promised and why you are leaving.

Again, if you can elaborate without naming names it might help. ie promised div 1 and put in div 2 etc.

Reply #185279 | Report this post

fox82  
Years ago

Sorry 'Spirit' your analogy lost me.....juniors are not paid...their financial livelihoods and those in the team are not at stake..... 2 week rule....that would be nice. Took us 3 weeks to get our child's clearance through.

Reply #185291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spirit,

ok letters go out - we have reserved a div 1 spot for you or a div 1/2 spot or div 2 spot. The number of letters going out with reserved div 1 spot was more than spots available. Similarly for other grades. Turns up for training and never get to play one game at the level offered.

Good way of keeping 1st year players so they won't move - offer something which won't eventuate. If the club/coach let's you down in this way why should you stay for the club or the scheduling. Loyalty, commitment and honesty is a two way deal. Better to be honest and explain the situation - if this happened kids would be less upset and less disenchanted. Oh well, his football has improved (local league club's development squad) since switching

Reply #185294 | Report this post

Spirit  
Years ago

fox 82,I was asked if I would quit my job if i didn't get a promotion that was promoised. I responded that I would follow the correct procedure as otherwise it would impact on other people's lives.

No, but when a couple of kids leave a club in one age group during the season, this puts pressure on pulling kids up from lower division teams. The ultimate consequence is that a team in pulled out of the competition mid season. Therefore as we have seen with the U16 girls 3 and 4 competition, there are not enough teams in the div 4 comp, so they get put together. Arnie must therefore use hours of unnecessary work to get this done. Meaning her can't use that time to do other work, ie he is doing more overtime and not getting to go home at his normal hours. Plus now all the teams have to change there games, often resulting in forfiets becuase somebody doesn't find out in time.

Reply #185295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spirit,

and is that the individual kid's concern? This situation could be avoided by being honest with the kids - tell them the truth and if unpleasant explain why. Most kids will take that as constructive criticism and work harder. So what is better, kids transferring to another club and at least retaining them in the sport or opting out completely??

Reply #185299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who gives out letters between summer and winter seasons? Haven't heard of any club doing that.

Reply #185306 | Report this post

"and is that the individual kid's concern?"

Probably not, but administrators cannot make decisions based upon the optimum needs of every player. It is not in my best interests to pay income tax, but I do because society benefits. Same principle here. Even one transfer mid season can disrupt hundreds of other people. That is the intent of the by-law. There will be some side effects but the overall benefit outweighs it. I know I am showing my conservative political leanings but I think this is the best way to describe why I agree with the by-law. I sympathise with your situation if you have been wronged, but use it to teach your child a lesson. Tough it out, don't quit. Then move at the end of the season.

Reply #185311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and the lesson little johnny howard is exactly what?

That clubs can get away with lying and making false promise to you and waste a development winter season in the two's when you might have played ones elsewhere.
We had 10 years of that conservatie bullshit atist so the analogy leaves me cold

Reply #185317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes it teaches a lesson - just be deceitful so you can put off telling the truth. Any way numbers still go down as kids switch sports so don't tell me this by-law is the panacea to all these issues.

And your political comparison is appropriate - we all know we take what politicians say with a pinch of salt

Reply #185321 | Report this post

Yes the lesson is that some people/organisations are dishonest and act deceitfully.

I never said it was a panacea, just that I agree with it because it solves major problems with the competition. Yes it creates some newer ones but the overall effect is positive.

Quitting is a poor alternative. It teaches the wrong lesson to your child. Suck it up, tough it out then move.

Or just like the last election throw your club's admin out at the ballot box (ie your AGM) or simply walk at the end of the season and tell them why. If it is as bad as you say you will not be the only one.

Again I sympathise and on the surface it sounds like the club has acted improperly but there are better alternatives, ones which do not impact upon lots of other people.

Reply #185324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep Basketball SA is a winner again!

Reply #185338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My god, The debate on whether the new by-law should be scrap is because someone has become unhappy in 5 weeks of competition and is being forced to stay or standout for the next 13 to 17 games. Folks its not a life time.Its approx 170 hours which in total is about 7 to 8 full days out of a lifetime.Like so much in district basketball life gets so intense for things to be perfect today tomorrow and yesterday. Like life it aint, but it is just a game, not life or death. If the kid wants to play basketball he will, if not he will move on to another sport, but the chances are he was going to anyway, because kids who are really passionate about their sport will put up with everything that is thrown at them.
If things are so bad then put your reasons in writing to BSA because like all by-laws you can gain an exemption if your reasons are valid and not just sourgrapes.

Reply #185345 | Report this post

Girl Power  
Years ago

I can only think of 1 club in recent history that has sent out letters to kids.

If you joined the club up the hill on the promise of a letter then you made your bed, now go lay in it.

Maybe parents should stop getting ahead of themselves and stop managing their kids "careers" and just let them play.

Reply #185351 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

"Let them play" yes please thats all we want!!

Reply #185362 | Report this post

Spirit  
Years ago

As far as I'm aware, no club sent out letters between summer and winter. So you have had the opportunity to change clubs after seeing the writing on the wall in summer.

And all rules can't be made to benefit every individual in all situations. If you want too you can write to BSA to ask for an exemption. Or better still you can name and shame the club and coach here.

But you have chosen to do neither, so I would suggest that you have no prof other than a vauge conversation which you probably initiated.

Reply #185403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have the letter and I have the wasted expense of a year's fees. Unlike some clubs who have it down to an art form I won't air our dirty linen particularly as my other son still plays there

Reply #185431 | Report this post

Boyblunder  
Years ago

If it is the club up the hill then there was a lot of critisism on here when the issue of letters first came up.

I tend to agree with girl power if it is the club in question, becuase it would seem they threw prommises (and letters) around like free lollys in an effort to entice people to travel so far away.

Im glad the new rule is in place. It should make parents think long and hard before making a move.

Reply #185453 | Report this post

Paul Keating  
Years ago

To all that have received these letters and feel that they (or their offspring) have been hard done by - why don't you go to your club's ombudsman? Or if it's affecting your lifestyle so much you should take it up with the club development officer.

Reply #185457 | Report this post

Spirit  
Years ago

So what happened when you took it up with the club president/committee? Or did the letter say "in the Div 1/2 squad"?

Reply #185460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Several clubs gave letters or posted a list and most named Div 1/2 squads which were often misinterpreted that a child had a chance at Div 1 when in most cases they did not. It would be more transparent that clubs list Teams and if the no transfer rule is to remain then it should be mandatory to do so.
Of course most clubs use summer to observe kids and swap them around a bit but for winter, all coaches would know which kids will be in their team. For tournaments most clubs run ten, therefore a tournament squad should be posted where a team does not run a regular 10 players, so that kids who fall out of this nominated ten could ask the coach to set them a program for development or ask what is needed and seek individuals (at a cost) or transfer.
Complaining to officialdom in basketball is suicide and dooms kids which is why most just shut up so a few rule changes that brought about transparency is overdue.
And finally there are coaches who string both players and parents along with promises they do not intend to keep, there are coaches who deliberately keep kids who would fit the structure of other teams but not their own just to weaken their opponents and there are coaches who keep kids in Div 1 teams that have no right to be there for political reasons and none of these things will change because we all have to remain mute or our kids will suffer.

Reply #185477 | Report this post

fox82  
Years ago

Spirit 'I was asked if I would quit my job if i didn't get a promotion that was promoised. I responded that I would follow the correct procedure as otherwise it would impact on other people's lives'.

Please! Putting the guilt trip on a child...that just teaches kids that it is okay for people to walkover them. By the way my child did 'suck it up' for two seasons before applying for a clearance. Fault - wasn't the club, wasn't the coach - it was some whinging parents! Honestly, was it the right decision to move on.......ABSOLUTELY YES!!!!!!! My child is now in an environment where kids (and parents) are there for fun, improving their skills and hence their game, listen to and appreciate the coach and each other. Recipe for success!

PS I do not agree with the new rule. Even when a child asks for a clearance between seasons, clubs have the right to 'hold up' the clearance process for 28 days. This rule should absolutely be removed. If the child has waited a season or two before deciding they need to move on, they should not then have to wait 28 days...therefore taking up to 4 weeks off from playing the next season. This is punishing a child who has already had a difficult time and decision to make.

Reply #185485 | Report this post

Spirit  
Years ago

fox82,

Not at all. It teaches them that you can't back out once you make a decision. If, as a parent, you allowed a club to continue this behaviour before moving for 2 seasons when you could have moved after the first, then you need to take a look in the mirror rather than pointing the finger.

Not sure how many clearances have taken the full 28 days without a person owing fee's. In my experience, most clubs move a clearance within a week.

Reply #185495 | Report this post

Puzzled  
Years ago

"Several clubs gave letters or posted a list and most named Div 1/2 squads which were often misinterpreted that a child had a chance at Div 1 when in most cases they did not."

(Sigh) Surely if the kid gets a letter that says Div 1/2 squad and they get a place in a Div 2 team then the club has delivered on the promise? Or is there something I am missing here?

Reply #185496 | Report this post

Boyblunder  
Years ago

"My child is now in an environment where kids (and parents) are there for fun"

I reckon if you ask most of the kids currently playing div 1 I am not sure they would be saying they are there for fun. They must enjoy the game to get anything out of it, thats a given; but playing div 1 just for fun seems to be wasting talent and a highly prized position to me.

Dedicated div 1 players are mostly there because they have a desire to be among the best, improve to the next level and show that they can play at that higher level consistantly. Ask any of the kids in contention for a state spot at the moment, Im not sure they would discribe the process as fun.

Can I suggest that if your kid is in div 1 for "fun" then maybe they should step down 2 divisions where the pressure is off somewhat?

I must make it clear that IMO most div 1 kids are not robots getting no enjoyment from the game. Most div 1 kids are playing for more than just fun.

When they finish their div 1 careers hopefully they can look back with pride and remember the enjoyment that they gained out of this brief period in their lives.

Reply #185540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Enjoyment', 'fun', what's the difference? I believe if you ask most Div 1 players if they love playing basketball they would say, 'yes'. Competition is fun, playing is fun but the path to success often isn't and that's the difference between most ball players.

Those who want to strive to play at elite levels commit to the grind of selection trials, fitness assessments, SASI, individuals, loss of more free time and travel, none of which could be thought of as fun but actually playing the game at any level should always be fun or you shouldn't be playing.

Reply #185561 | Report this post

fox82  
Years ago

Spirit - my child is now playing in a top club, Div 1 and winning. My child's game has improved out of sight, and my child is incredibly happy about the move and its outcome.

Boyblunder - I did not say they were just there for 'fun' I think that was pretty clear and I gave other positive outcomes including: 'improving their skills and hence their game, listen to and appreciate the coach and each other. Recipe for success!'

Spirit - Fees were well and truly paid way before clearance was requested and no other debts outstanding. We always paid a children's fees and never owed anything from one season to the next - unlike some. We ensured club hierarchy and coaches were made aware of the problems - so no need for us to look in the mirror. We did everything we could and more. Hence, no regrets.

Reply #185601 | Report this post

Spirit  
Years ago

fox82,

So what you are saying is that the rules have worked out fine, and that everybody has ended up happy!

Agree with the amount of time that it takes for a clearance to "go through". I would have thought that 2 weeks gives clubs sufficient time to check fee's are paid, etc.

I have only heard of 1 club waiting to clear a kid so that they can't play for a reason other than fee's.

Reply #185607 | Report this post

Boyblunder  
Years ago

Agreed on the clearance time.

The club my child is involved with has 3 kids that have transfered from the same club at different times in the past 2 years and all without exception have had their clerances drawn out for over 2 weeks.

If there is fees owing, no clerance; but if not, whats the problem?

Reply #185616 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Spirit (Not at all. It teaches them that you can't back out once you make a decision.)

Spirit,

When driving my car the other day, I thought it was safe to turn right across 3 lanes of traffic. I had made the DECISION to go.

I then noticed that the bus was not turning and was going straight ahead.

Should I keep driving (presumably under the bus) because I have made a decision and I must learn that once you make a decision you can't back out?

I decided not to keep going and CHANGED my original DECISION to make what I believe was a BETTER DECISION.

If the kids are not happy, they are going to move to other sports. The big difference being, if they move clubs, they still pay to play and BSA still gets money. If they leave the sport, the same amount of Admin work needs to be done to change the draws however, we don't see anymore money from that kid, nor his friends, underaged siblings etc.

Reply #185633 | Report this post

fox82  
Years ago

Great analogy FM!

Spirit - my point was the rule did not work things ended happy despite the rule. The rule is WRONG WRONG WRONG! We will have to agree to disagree. I'm done!

Reply #185635 | Report this post

Boyblunder  
Years ago

(#185633) Correct decision made. You avoided a horrible accident and maybe even death, dismemberment, or both. Thats your basic instinct hard wired into you.

The parent of the child concerned who now wants to move clubs, does not risk death to his/her child, just realises he/she may have been misinformed and has to put up with feeling they have been duped for the rest of the season. No biggie!

If you leave the sport for good after that, well good luck to you.

Sometimes the good of the many does out way the good of a few.

Reply #185779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boyblunder 'If you leave the sport for good after that, well good luck to you.....Sometimes the good of the many does out way the good of a few'.

Hopefully this parent and child do not listen to you. Hopefully with this attitude you are not in a position of authority at any club or BSA. It is these attitudes that are the problem.

This rule has only given useless clubs the power to be even more useless.

In order to keep your players you need to work out what that takes - coercion is not the long term answer. This rule will not help! Look at your club policies and culture. Begin there. Deep thoughts. Creative thoughts. Positive thoughts. Any thoughts?

Reply #185794 | Report this post

Not a coach.  
Years ago

I like the rule. Keep it. To many coaches have been burned or held too ransom by too many parents for too long.

As was said earlier, there will be exceptions to all rules.

Ask for a ruling on your particular case, then stand by that decision one way or the other.

Reply #185862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a Coach" So now its better to burn the kids and their parents?

Reply #185864 | Report this post

Not a coach  
Years ago

So you are obviously advocating the burning of coaches and clubs instead?

The rule was designed to stop parents with hurt pride ripping their kids out of clubs mid way through a season.

During the past 18 months my child's age group has had 3 kids transfer from our club, all to the one club.

You really should talk to the kids because all three of them would rather have stayed put. This was from the kid's mouths, not the parents.

Reply #185887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sugesting coaches will get over a burning where kids futures can be rubbed out when the shoe is on the other foot.

Reply #185890 | Report this post

Spirit  
Years ago

FM,

That is absolutely rediculuous, equating a kid waiting a season to move and life and death situation.

The analogy should be, when you get a licence, you accept that there are certain rules of the road. Putting yourself and others into danger in any situation is not a decision, but rather accpeted as the norm. Well now, when you play the first games of a season, accept that it means that you can't change clubs.

Reply #185894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#185894)Well said.

Reply #185947 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:34 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754