Isaac
Years ago

Boomers to play in Adelaide, June 18

Might not be top-tier opposition, but the Boomers will be playing a game at the Dome on June 18 against Iran.

Basketball Australia is pleased to announce that three games between the Australia Post Boomers and Iran have been scheduled for June.

In what will be known as the 'Boomers World Challenge', matches will be played at Challenge Stadium in Perth (Monday 16 June), Distinctive Homes Dome in Adelaide (Wednesday 18 June) and the State Netball and Hockey Centre in Melbourne (Friday 20 June).

The 'Boomers World Challenge' will act as a vital warm up in the countdown to Beijing, where Oceania Champions Australia and Asian Champions Iran have been drawn in the same group for the opening round of competition.

"We're delighted to have secured three games against Iran," Basketball Australia Chief Executive Scott Derwin said.

"We expect them as Asian Champions to be spirited competition and we hope the people of Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne get to a game to support the Boomers and Australian basketball in this critical step toward Beijing."
Interesting:
While Iran has not yet named its player roster for the tour, if Iranian centre Jaber Rouzbahani, who stands at 226cm (7'5") with a wingspan of 244cm (8') and dunks the basketball without leaving the ground, is included he is sure to attract attention.
Tickets on sale from May 16. I'm sure there will be more information to come.

Topic #15715 | Report this topic

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Iran have a basketball team?

Reply #185136 | Report this post

Tangles  
Years ago

I bet none of our top notch players play in this game. How good would it be to see bogut play in a game in Adelaide.

Reply #185138 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

LOL  once they have arrived and settled into the team hotel, how many will disappear quietly into the night and then apply for refugee status a few days later.

I recon we will have a few Iranians living in Baxter detention centre a few days after the game.

Reply #185146 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

Joe M!

Wouldn't surprise me @ all mate.

I'll strongly have to consider visiting The Dome to check this match out.

Reply #185149 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I wouldn't be suprised if Bogut did play, he has said that he will make himself available for most of the camps and some led up games.

Reply #185152 | Report this post

Murry Magpie  
Years ago

It'll be a game where some of the second tier guys get to show their skills so it'll be a good game.
And yes, there may be a few who disappear after the last game in melbourne ...

To see that guy dunk will be a treat!

Reply #185158 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Expect to see as many of the first string Boomers to play as possible. If they are available and injury free, they will play. I think you will find that until Bogut signs his new NBA contract in July (not sure of exact date, but early in the month)), he has indicated he will not be playing or training with the Boomers.

Reply #185160 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I think Bogut has said he is not available until at least July - he won't be playing

Reply #185164 | Report this post

Its Australia's first match here in years, lets get a massive crowd so they don't make it a one off visit.

Reply #185176 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

im there

Reply #185184 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

make it 2,

Reply #185203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

would love to see the bogey man so thats a real pity. any other who probably won't be there?

Reply #185209 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

No way I would miss it.

Reply #185212 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Interesting that they are the Asian Champions yet not listed in the World Rankings.

Reply #185218 | Report this post

add me to the list attendees

wouldnt miss it for the world. maybe we could get a cheersquad together like the fanatics.

time to bust out the trumpet.

Reply #185517 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yes, great to have this game here. Good news for basketball here and the dome.
Thought there would be something on tv or in the paper.

Reply #185518 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti had a story about it though not sure if that made it into the physical paper or was just put online.

Reply #185548 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:54 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754