DJ
Years ago

Fox Commentry - Shane Heal

So what did you all think of HAMMER TIME last night?

Personally I think he did a pretty good job and wouldn't mind seeing him back, maybe alongside Casey rather than Carfino as Carfino is too easily sidetracked especially when "special guests" are in the stadium to chat with. The new roaming interviews are good, but as mentioned before we dont need to see the person speaking, we can watch some action whilst listening to the little interview.

As much as I loved to bag Heal when he played in Adelaide against us, he did a pretty good job. Hopefully Fox continue to mix up the commentators as the old Casey, Carfino combo can get a bit tiresome.

Topic #1573 | Report this topic

Panther  
Years ago

There were a few things that peeved me off last night and some are exactly what DJ has pointed out. Carfino is getting on, his comments are just stupid these days. He didn't even pick up the fact that during half time when Fox flashed up the top scorers that they had made a mistake. He read out that Maher, Farley and Rychart all had over 20 points when the Sixers total score was only 51 points! C'mon it's not that hard to work out, especially if Heal can do it! His plays of the week is a joke. I saw more footage of non players than I did of the game, that's not basketball and the stupid voice he puts on, c'mon!
The other thing is like what DJ said, showing the person sitting on the sidelines or in the crowd while there is a game going on was an utter joke. Especially when the show the interview with Alan Black when the sixers half got the ball and a chance to score with only 2 seconds left, show the game for christs sake!
And then there's Heal...Fox couldn't find a more Anti-Sixers commentator (Gorj was unavailable) than him to commentate a Sixers game against his old side Brisbane, he constantly bagged Adelaide and even as they made their run late in the game there he was saying "Brisbane has definately got the momentum now..."
That was one of THE most frustrating games to watch from a commentary and broadcasting situation, I was glad there was a decent game of Basketball to watch after all of that!

Reply #17931 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I agree with you DJ. I too love to bag Heal but I also thought he did a pretty good job last night.
He had some quite good things to say about what the 36ers were doing too (as far as I remember. I'll have to watch the tape again to check my memory of what he said.)
I'd still rather hear/see Clinton Grybas doing the whole thing.
I thoroughly agree with about showing the faces of Rucker, Black etc. while the game was going on. That peeved me as well.
Luckily I have the magic red button on foxtel digital so I managed to catch some 'split screen' action when that was happening.
Very bad direction on Foxtel part though I'd say.

Reply #17935 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I previewed the plays of the week online and then saw them again during the game. It really must've been the most boring week ever if those were the highlights. Didn't we have 3 games decided by a single point? Two games going into overtime? Weren't there some nice assists to show out of the 24 that Maher dished out last round? Didn't someone besides Sanford get a dunk?

The voiceover is embarrassing and I think it would turn off prospective viewers. Also, I haven't heard from any existing fans that like it.

Reply #17936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i still think andrew gaze is the worst commentator

"BOY OH BOY"

Reply #17937 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I thought Heal did a great job, apart from in the 4th he let some Brisbane love shine through.

I actually like Plays of the Week, and love to have a laugh at them, and Carfino.

Perhaps you are all expecting an actual serious plays of the week type thing, when it has been designed to be a more fun, tongue in cheek item.

Reply #17941 | Report this post

auslot  
Years ago

cmon plays of the week is pretty good it gives santa some recognition that he actually turned to watch some games before working hard on xmas eve

Reply #17946 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Shane Heal is actually an alright bloke off the court, its on the court where he is competitive and he may give the effect of coming on arrogance but i have spoken to him and seen him off court and he is another person.

I wonder how many people thought Michael Jordan was a nice bloke on the court.

Reply #17951 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Ever read Jayson William's autobiography? He says Jordan was the best because he was the meanest.

Reply #17976 | Report this post

baggy  
Years ago

Agree with most of the comments. Particularly the one where we had to watch the "special comments" person instead of the game. Hate to see a game go to the wire and we're watching someone on the sidelines ?? I also find Carfino down plays things the Sixers do and then goes overboard on what other teams (especially Sydney when they are involved) do. Heal was okay but like others I was thankful for the "red button" and occasionally used the "umpires commentary" option. However I don't know whether the umpires have been told to keep the volume of talk down, but what could be a very interesting commentary tends to be very quiet with long pauses ? I'm sure if it gets "heated" (for example when Phil had a go following some ordinary calls) then they switch that umpire off. Anyhow I'm sure as Fox gets more accustomed to the technology, then it will get better.

Reply #18023 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:42 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754