Isaac
Years ago

NBL releases internal player ratings

Happened to visit the NBL's player points ratings page and saw that it had been updated today to include internal values:

NBL Points Ratings

Finally, Blazefan can work out how many points Gold Coast have to spare!

Topic #15759 | Report this topic

TR  
Years ago

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but on what basis can they rate Jawai an external 10. He has never played professionally overseas nor is considered an import and it's lot like he is an established Boomer.

Reply #185652 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Does anyone know why some have a higher internal ranking than external?

TR Jawai is a 10 based on the stats method.

Reply #185653 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kent, signed at a higher rating last year, and still on that contract now.

There was the 'Tucker loophole' where clubs would cut and re-contract players to take advantage of this, but it has since been closed. I think the last to take advantage of it were the Breakers and Forman (rated 8 while at the 36ers coming off the bench, then statistically a 6 in his first season over there, cut and re-signed, and would be a 7 based on last season). They have a similar situation with Jones where he was contracted while a 9 (last season - based on returning from overseas) but rated as an 8 from 07/08 performances.

Reply #185657 | Report this post

afroman jnr  
Years ago

9 WAYNE TURNER Re ranked on appeal from 10 point ranking

might just be me, but ive never heard of this guy? anyone care to help?

Reply #185660 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's based on stats from last season.

36ers:
Maher 5 (ext: 10)
Davidson 6 (ext: 8)
Kersten 1
Ballinger 10
Holmes 8
Cooper 7 (ext: 8)
Schenscher 10
Hill 2
Import 10
---
59 points

Still one player to sign and 9 points to spare. Not really a load of great options available that would come off the bench. So, while we might run with points to spare this year, that will be very useful for future seasons when we need to add another import or cover the retirement of Maher.

As for Wayne Turner - ex-Crocs import from a few years back (known after that for getting in trouble on gun charges in the US?), then played for the Breakers last season before getting injured and being replaced by Orien Greene for the duration of the season. Before trying for Bruton, the Breakers were looking at keeping Turner and might've had him re-rated.

Reply #185662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a pity Ballinger doesn't become Australian until 09/10 season. We are one import, and one key 8-10 point player to be able to seriously matchup against teams like Melbourne/South Dragons.

I would love to see the 36ers sign a player coming back from College, but i don't know how many good forwards are out there.

If Hodge makes the NBA.. then Horvath would actually be very useful.. (South Dragons probably already have him signed though)

C Schenscher/Cooper
F Ballinger/Horvath
F Holmes/Hill
G Davidson/Maher
G Groves/Kersten

Reply #185664 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, Horvath is already signed.

Reply #185665 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Wayne turner had the craziest shooting style i ever saw- would fake left then follow through. Was a good aim though. His field goal shooting was also a little funky also- fans would try to mimick his action in the crowd every time he went to the line

Reply #185667 | Report this post

Dry Back  
Years ago

I know I am bias but getting rid of The Tucker Loophole is very annoying for the crocs. As they lose 3 points with Rillie and Pepper still 10's while there actual worth is 8 and 9 respectively.

Homicide 10/ Kelvin 5
Rillie 10/Cedar 4
???/Sheridan 5
Roe 10/ Egan 5
Pepper 10/???
=59

This along with Weigh signing with Brisbane (my bad with the Perth rumour) is a real kick in the teeth. I believe the plan was to have the roster above plus Weigh (3 points) and then a very decent 9 point young kiwi. Making a definite championship contender if not the front runner, but alas all has fallen apart and it looks like we will end up with Brad Williamson and Dave Vanderjagt, that's if Brad can get re-rated to a 6 and Dave wants to end his college career early.

So back to the point, isn't it in the NBL's best interest for clubs to have players on longer contracts to get the local fan supporting basically the same team each year with some minor tweaking, getting some loyalty back into our game. Or am I just pissed because at this point in time this rules goes against who I support? Thoughts?

Reply #185668 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Kriss, you want a crazy shooting action...

Check of this bloke, it is horrendous in every sense of the word. I have no idea how a professional NBA player does this....

http://linky.com.au/rds3c

Reply #185672 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Its a shame we couldnt have retained Mottram now that we know he could have been fitted.

Reply #185674 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dry Back - once upon a time you signed a team where Rillie and Pepper were 10s and the rest of the roster fitted together - minor tweaks to that still work. Remember that while the persistent contract clause means you're stuck with those two at 10s, you also get the deduction for Egan.

Was Drew Williamson released?

Reply #185675 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

During state champs, there was an opposition player who was shooting right handed free throws, with left handed stance - was the most awkward thing i've ever seen (try it .. i dare ya!)

Reply #185679 | Report this post

jarvis  
Years ago

GERALD BROWN, ANGELO REYES, JAMES PETERS AND MURSEPP AS 10'S- WHAT A JOKE

Reply #185709 | Report this post

jarvis  
Years ago

also, someone please tell me- which one do they use? internal or external?

Reply #185710 | Report this post

Dry Back  
Years ago

Isaac I believe drew just came off contract and wasn't offered a new one.

Fair call, I think I just got a little too excited about the possibles before anything was on paper.

Reply #185728 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Any thoughts on where he might be headed? Was never convinced he was going to lock up his position long term, but he had done OK - any room for him at another team?

Reply #185730 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jarvis, relax! Those imports are 10s by default because they have not requested a re-rating - e.g., no team has expressed interest in them and they are not expecting to return to the NBL.

In calculating their total team points, clubs use the internal rating. If a team wanted to contract a free agent, they'd usually go by the external rating. e.g., Brett Maher is a 5 in Adelaide, but a 10 for any other team.

Reply #185738 | Report this post

marco  
Years ago

thanks isaac- if i were a ball club, i would be throwing up at the though of wasting 10 points on one of those imports!

Reply #185788 | Report this post

Blazefan  
Years ago

Yeaaaaah, Thanks I-Man. Was the points system always this complicated??

For my next wish, it'd be great if the list could highlight all the signed players.

Blaze now have Hawkins-10, Melmeth-9, Harvey-8, Frank-8, Cameron-8, McGregor-6, Joyce-2, Demos-1 to make 52 internal points.

With Heal on 8, we now need an 8 point import. As things are a little light on in this department (Jason Crowe????), it looks like we'll be waiting till mid august to see which 9 and 10 pointers are left, and get a points downgrade (re #185497).

Having said this, there may not be many signable imports left by that stage though.

Isn't it funny how trying to fit players under the celery cap is never thought of now. It's just the points cap and even then the points aren't always what they appear to be on paper. mmmmmmmmmmm.

Reply #185797 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:18 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754