Run TMC
Years ago

NBA Trivia: Rookie Scoring

I don't actually know how many players have done this so I will throw this one out there.

How many players, who have played at least 10 seasons, never bettered their rookie scoring average in any of their remaining seasons.

I can think of one but am sure there must be more.

Topic #15772 | Report this topic

Run TMC  
Years ago

In fact the player I can think of never bettered their assists per game after their rookie season either!

But this guy certainly wasn't a flop after his rookie season - he is multiple All Star.

Reply #185828 | Report this post

coopz  
Years ago

grant hill?

havent check anything, but from memory, he was a stand out rookie.

Reply #185830 | Report this post

coopz  
Years ago

i am wrong. he beat his rookie avg PPG of 19.9 for the next 5 years!

man, i wasnt even close.

Reply #185831 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Don't worry - I guessed Ray Allen only to check and see that he eventually doubled his rookie output!

Reply #185832 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Dikembe Mutombo?

Reply #185833 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Arvydas Sabonis?

Reply #185840 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

Well done Kriss. Mutombo definitely did it. He averaged 16.6 ppg (and 2.2 apg) in his rookie season.

Funnily enough the next closest was in his second year (13.8 ppg and 1.8 apg). He didn't reach his rebounding peak (14.1 rpg) until his 9th season or his shot blocking (4.5 bpg!) until his 5th season.

I'm got no idea if this has happened to anyone else (or how you would even find out for that matter) but it does seem fairly unique.

Reply #185841 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

In the 90's Walt Williams and Lionel Simmons had big rookies years - I don't think they would have improved ... just checked Williams never bettered his 17ppg and Simmons never bettered his 18ppg.

Maybe Kenyon Martin ... nup - he improved in 5 times.

Hows about Joe Smith ... close - only bettered it once in his 2nd year.

I'll say Okafor ... yep averaged 15.3 in his rookie and then average 14.2, 14.9 and 15.0

Reply #185848 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

If I'm not mistaken Shaq never bettered his Rebounding and Blocking averages as a rookie either

Reply #185850 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Richard Dumas certainly did, when his rookie campaign eventually got off to a start he averaged 15.8 points and 4.6 rebounds.

When he returned to the NBA after suspensions it was 5.5 ppg.

Not quite fitting in with the players above - but still.

Reply #185852 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Checking out the Rookie of the Year list, another player to achieve this (having played 10 seasons or more :) ) is Terry Cummings.

Reply #185855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

speaking of rookies i think Deron Williams was a rookie once any one confirm his height for funzees
i think 6ft3 heard 6ft5 though

Reply #185880 | Report this post

SWP  
Years ago

Marcus Camby averaged in his rookie 96-97 season under Toronto 14.8ppg and hasn't bettered it since.

Reply #185881 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

My 1st thought was Christian Laettner. Just checked... 18.2ppg in rookie seaosn, 18.1 was his best aside from that.

Reply #185885 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

I originally thought Damon Stoudamire. He averaged 19ppg and 9apg in his first season with Raptors. Beat his PPG twice, in his second and third season. But never beat his APG.

Reply #185981 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Charlie V from a Bucks is another current that is yet to better his rookie season. Some as Channing Frye from the Blazers.

Reply #185982 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

How bout we all check players stats the season before and after contract years...

i'm such a f!@#ing cynic some times...

Reply #186065 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

jerome kersey. averaged 17ppg in his rookie year then went down every year. only averaged double figures for 5 seasons

Reply #186555 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:05 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754