correction
Years ago

Bo Westover

Ok... so i was just looking at some stats after reading the post about Daniel Johnson for Melbourne in the Big V (massive effort)....

AND... the question i have to ask is... Was Bo Westover REALLY a development player for the Tigers last year? I mean i saw him sitting on the bench alot but does daddy really think he's good enough to maybe play in the NBL?

The reason i ask = he is CLEARLY not a scorer. He is not a GREAT defender. So you would have to think that he would be a great floor leader and creative player who racks up the assists and doesnt turn the ball over.. Well.. He's averaging 3.1 assists and 6.0 T/O's in 9 games so far for Melb in the Big V. Thats a pretty terrible ratio considering hes only getting 7 ppg aswell. He plays alot of minutes too. At least 35-40mpg. So what does he do??

Please help me understand.. What does he do to deserve to even have the pleasure of training on the same court as a quality NBL team like the tigers (apart from Dad)..?

Topic #15799 | Report this topic

DJ  
Years ago

Training fodder is harder to come by than most think. If the kid is a body at training day in and day out does he not deserve to be the 14th man on the roster?

He only made the cut in 1 game from memory due to injuries.

I'm sure there were better players in the local ABA than Gower but the commitment was there and so we ran with him.

Reply #186032 | Report this post

correction  
Years ago

Yeah ok fair enough. If you put the word 'fodder' then it sort of makes sense.

Still though.. I would like to think that there are many many guys through-out the SEABL / BIG V / ABL who would feel dirty that they can't get their foot in the door somewhere knowing they would kick his ass.

Might aswell go out and look for talent and ask them.. If they all decline, then fine use BO.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Looks like another good opportunity for a coaches son. (See: Joyce)

Reply #186038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bo, works hard and knows their stuff, inside out. A new kid would have to learn it all, that would take up to much time for a development player.

Reply #186121 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Bo is a solid role player...does his bit - a bit like Giddey used to do I guess.

Reply #186125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Solid role player??? What's his role??

Coach: "Alright Bo, i want you to go out there tonight and throw the ball away twice as many times as you hit open guys for shots. And while your at it, i want you to only score about 6 or 7 points in 35 minutes so that your not a threat on offense either"

Bo: "No worries, Coach. Can do"

Coach: "Good boy. And if you do this every game for me, i'm sure you'll be able to have a run with the champion NBL Tigers because you know their stuff"

Bo: "Awesome"

Team: "Ready... Break"

Reply #186127 | Report this post

Old School  
Years ago

Guys,
I think your taking this a bit far
Yeah he was a devolpment player but his body isnt ready to take on full scoring roles and so forth

The same with Sturt...Daddy coached all these kids and is building them up so that when players like Anstey, Corletto, Croswell decide thats enough these players have had 4-5 yrs in the gym, taking on the bigger guys and are ready

I agree there may be better players out there but Bo is only worth 1 point under the points cap

Why would they waste points on a player that would winge caus hes better then Bo and deserves more minutes

And you also have to remember that he left college to come home to NBL and play...Another couple of yrsa in college could have done him the well of good

Neways tigers wont beat Dragons this yr

Anyone got news on Ere and other import signing to already superstar Dragons lineup

Reply #186167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowe is rumored now. Ebi is wrapped up.

Reply #186177 | Report this post

Old School  
Years ago

Crowe....hmmm intresting does fit but has to be more passing as he has plentyful of scorers

Reply #186207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is this loser 'correction' that spends his time knocking players that he believes to be only associated with the NBL because of their fathers (Daniel Joyce and Bo Westover)?
Here's a little correction for you...
Bo Westover is not a development player with the Tigers. He suited up two games because of injuries, in which he alternated with Derrick McDonald (no one bashes him for being there because of being D-Mac's son?) and trains with the Tigers every day because he has that opportunity, as well as Sandringham under 20 players who also train with them (are they 'fodder'? do they deserve the pleasure of training with them?). Plus the Tigers ABA team has 5 NBL players, not including Dave Barlow who played 3 games. Why are you bashing the kid when what he is doing doesn't affect anyone?
And Daniel Joyce is always going to cop criticism from people because his dad is the coach. Does it matter? He's a solid guard in the NBL and it's much better to see someone like Daniel playing guard as opposed to someone like Aaron Trahair running around past retirement. So what if they have a good opportunity, do you blame them for making the most of it?

Reply #189875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tatter actually have some skills to play in the aba, though not a massive star but he DOES something (you check his stats). It ain't no excuse that you got guys like sturt on your team; that just makes it even more ridiculous for those turnovers

Reply #189882 | Report this post

hoops303  
Years ago

Clearly those of you who are knocking a talented young player like Bo are suffering from tall poppy syndrome. He is a solid reliable player who has had very decent stats throughout his young career. He played very well in state and nationals and also overseas in college.

You can't expect a 20 year old to play as well as a 30 year old. He isn't a tall player so he isn't going to shoot as much as Sturt, and his point guard position means he's meant to pass!!!!!

I think to accuse him of being a 'daddy's boy' is a little much, al westover is a brilliant coach. would he just risk his reputation by putting his son (supposedly with no talent) on the team- besides its not entirely up to him anyway.

Reply #189942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so you mean pass the ball and give it to the other team more often than to your team mate for an open shot?

al's a decent coach no doubt about that, but you gotta remember the roster he had, with mac at the 1 spot (who's old but still better than many), dt at 2 (one of the most versatile in league), barlow at 3 (versatile forward), lampley at 4 (nba caliber), anstey at 5 (league mvp)...that's one of the best roster you could ask for in nbl! and kings almost took them out (that's with all the off the court issues that they had to deal with!)...so i wouldn't call him brilliant just yet, if tigers win again without mac this season then we can talk more...the only coach in that club right now in nbl would be goorijian

Reply #189945 | Report this post

goceltics  
Years ago

How often have you guys seen bo play? cos i've seen him train and play a fair bit and he is a dedicated team player. he isn't selfish and he gets a lot of assists, and not too many turnovers.

yeah you're right al had awesome guys starting, that line up will differ this season though, so we'll see how they go. but nevertheless a good team does not guarantee success.

bottom line is the tigers are great. bo has good potential. the tigers will be fine without dmac this season.

Reply #189947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you gotta be kiding me if that's not too many turnover and gets many assists. i've seen him play in bigv 3~4 times this season...and sedale from sandringham embrassed the hell out of him and made him FALL...

i suppose that's why al will be put to test this year cos apparently sam's not signing! heard he gonna retired! (don't quote me on it though)

Reply #189955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this is funny because most usa division one schools basketball teams are better than any nbl team minus andrew bogut that dude can ball

Reply #302463 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:46 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754