mentions basketball.

fees should be staggered -

a div 1 gets -
usually the best coach
first pick at training times / venues
best refs
biggest profile at the club

the lower divs pay the same fees.

however - what do people expect - most clubs i know - if you are struggling they will consider a scholarship - if you are serious. or work around the club

and $300 for 6 months is not too bad - still when you have to find the money that you don't have - it will be hard.

instead of complaining at cost look where the other money is spent and maybe redo the budget

last time i checked nothing went down in price

Topic #15802 | Report this topic

Edinburgh 66  
Years ago

An investigation of the costs of different community sports has found that parents are paying about $400 - sometimes twice as much - for children to play soccer and at least $300 for basketball.

Fees for junior netball start at $250 and football costs $120.

How can soccer cost $400? Surely those fees should be more comparable to football than basketball.

Reply #186129 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Depends on the league and/or the club. My son played soccer last year, we had to pay a rego fee to the club ($200) and then a weekly amount to pay for the ref (about $50 total), plus buy his boots and shinpads ($100), so that's $350. Some clubs in our comp charged a bit more, others a bit less. We also got a discount as a continuing player, new players were charged more.

Reply #186133 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I think this is one of the causes kids are taking up football etc, it's far cheaper for parents and lets face it with Interest Rates, the cost of petrol etc parents need to save all the money they can.

Why are basketball fees so high? Is it because of stadium maintenance? Why do you pay all the fees and then still have to pay for each game?

Reply #186156 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Do parents still get charged to enter a stadium?
If so that one has always bugged me, when i coached i had parents who would wait in the car park as they could not afford the extra $ to watch their kid play.

Reply #186163 | Report this post

quasty  
Years ago

Yes, parents still get charged to enter, as well as grandparents, siblings and anyone else that comes to support the kids! Sometimes our family ends up paying about $20 a game for everyone that comes to support our nine year old boy. It seems a bit rough that the kids pay their club fees and then to get into the stadium to play each week as well.

Netball's the same though - at ETSA park everyone that enters the stadium pays to spectate or play as well.

We have had people not come to support matches because of the cost.

Reply #186164 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Im pretty sure that BSA set the Game fees for players, and that spectator fees are set by the clubs as revenue raisers.

There arent too many ways a club can make money (besides charging its players club fees) so charging whoever walks in the door is probably the only other source of income, besides bar/canteen profits.

The biggest factor I have always noticed in the Football V Basketball cost battle is Sponsorship. It seems any old football club playing in the Amatuer League in division 3 will get more sponsorship than some ABL clubs. I guess it comes down to Return of Investment. More players, specatators means more exposure of the product your selling.

Reply #186183 | Report this post

Hoops 72  
Years ago

Ignorance is bliss hustle!

Clubs receive none of the door takings. BSA get all of it. After paying ref's and the door person they make about $75 - $100 per game of junior basketball.

Reply #186191 | Report this post

The Accountant  
Years ago

Surely 7 or 8 paying players per team would cover expenses for the refs and a door person.

Reply #186208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Accountant: Then BSA staff would have to buy their own coffee.
And talking about expensive,(if accurate) kids who made the U16 state team are up for 2 grand to get to the west.
District basketball door charges for spectators and 7 bucks or so for players on top of the travel all over the outskirts of Adelaide needs a rethink by the brains trust.

Reply #186285 | Report this post

zzz  
Years ago

you only have to look at the cost of basketball in the country towns to know you are getting ripped off and they have the same over heads of running a stadium. 5 years back when i was at whyalla kids paid $2.50 to play and parents got in for free and and i think subs were $60 but not totally sure about that. maybe someone has more recent fugures on this.

Reply #186288 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Do parents still get charged to enter a stadium?
$4.50 - for Junior games. However, spectators at Senior games only pay $3.00!

Here's a link to the page for BSA Admission prices:

http://linky.com.au/bcv9s

Reply #186289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mantis,
the link says an entry fee of $7.00 for Junior Div 1's players and $6.00 for other divs with spectators charged and get this straight: spectators for juniors (parents mostly) charged $4.50 but for senior games a spectator pays only $3.00. Go figure!

Reply #186290 | Report this post

4th Spazzy  
Years ago

I think it is discraceful that parents have to pay to watch their child play basketball, especially after shelling out money for registration, club fees, petrol and uniforms etc..

i am sure their are many talented kids out there whose parents just dont have the money for them to play basketball.

basketball will never improve in this country until BSA and BA ease the pressure on families and clubs.

i thought that one of the reasons we originally had to pay these admission prices for was to assist in helping the finacial mess that was BASA.

BASA is gone, the sixers and lightning are now both privately owned and we are still paying the admission prices.

They will keep taking the money... to the long term detriment of the sport!

Pure Greed BSA !

Reply #186426 | Report this post

DM  
Years ago

I am a parent and I very rarely pay to get in, I just walk in without paying - never get stopped, maybe you should try it. I fork out enough for my child to play, as if I am going to pay to watch also. In particular if I am expected to score aswell!

Reply #186541 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I have been stopped, from doing that,sometimes.
But , have been allowed to do it a few times.
If your a parent taking juniors to games and back home, with the price of petrol etc., sometimes you need that bit of encouragement.

Reply #186559 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:32 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754