billo
Years ago

NBA Defensive Team Announced

I think this was announced yesterday but I didn't see a thread on it here. The usual suspects were all in attendance.

Kobe - 8th time
KG - 9th time
Duncan - 11th time
Bowen - 8th time
Camby - 2nd time

I haven't seen enough of the NBA lately to comment, but were these guys actually the best defenders league this year or were they voted in largely on reputation? Based on stats it looks like Chris Paul was unlucky to miss out.

Topic #15820 | Report this topic

Quagmire  
Years ago

Good question- what is this based on and who does the voting?

Is it coaches or a media panel?

It has been said many times before but sometimes great D provides no stats at all. You don't get a stat for knowing where a player likes to catch the ball and denying that pass, or sticking to your man through three or more screens to deny open looks.

What about Chris Paul, he got a ton of steals but how did opposition PG's go against him? (this is not a sledge, i genuinely don't know)

Rasheed gets zero love for his D, as does Prince yet the pistons are perenially one of the top defensive clubs in the comp...

Reply #186304 | Report this post

PHD in shot  
Years ago

Thats very true but its the fact that teh whole team from the pistons is such a good defending team that no one actually satnds out, they were the best team defensivly only allowing teams to score 90.07 points per game followed by the celtics and spurs

Reply #186306 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

At the end of the day there is only 5 spots on the team..... always gonna be tough omitions.. Looks like they went with the safest choices.

Reply #186308 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

Josh Smith would have to be a tad unlucky there, steals, and blocks combined leader for much of the season...

Reply #186316 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I believe opposition coaches vote. Not allowed to vote for anyone on your own team. Prince made the second team.

Reply #186324 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Artest unlucky

Reply #186328 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Yao Ming
Amare Stoudamire
Carmelo Anthony
Michael Redd
Jason Kidd

Oh wait, wrong thread

Reply #186403 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Kobe - 8th time
KG - 9th time
Duncan - 11th time
Bowen - 8th time
Camby - 2nd time
=======================================

I understand KG, Bowen & Camby. Kobe is a joke, I would have put CP3 in his place; I'd replace Duncan with Josh Smith.

Paul, Bowen, Smith, Garnett, Camby. That makes more sense to me.

Reply #186442 | Report this post

Why dont you put Arenas in there as well, big marty. He gets nice stats too.

Unfortunately, three Pf/C's were the best 3 defenders this year. But that shouldn't stop Tayshaun from getting some love.

Reply #186471 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:49 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754