Isaac
Years ago

Blaze sign Shane Heal

Well, I know I'm shocked...

In what is the biggest announcement in the lead-up to the 2008-09 NBL season, the Gold Coast Blaze has ended months of speculation by signing Australian basketball legend Shane Heal for next season.

The news that Heal, a local resident, will line up for the Blaze at the point-guard position is another big step forward for the NBL's newest club in establishing itself as the premier sporting team throughout the thriving Gold Coast summer.

The four time Olympian and former NBL Champion said he was delighted with the signing and thrilled that he can now aim to finish his career at the club of his choice.
Now I guess we'll see if they can convince the NBL to re-rate an import or if they will retain Whitehead?

Topic #15824 | Report this topic

kad  
Years ago

k dum dum dum dum dum k

Reply #186353 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

ok, that didnt work. ascii is banned!

Reply #186354 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Should Brendan Joyce be looking into purchasing a kevlar vest?

Reply #186355 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

May the insults fly when the Blaze visit adelaide.

Reply #186357 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Ah, the internal politics of this club are all of a sudden going to become so much more interesting to follow.

Joice Snr: Who should I get to throw up the last shot?

Heal and Joyce Jnr simultaneously: ME!

Reply #186359 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Not sure how Heal will cope with the final second play for the win to be run thru Daniel instead.

"Daniel, Be a Hero! Be a Hero!" - Brendan Joyce, 27th Oct 2007, The Dome.

Reply #186363 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

Ah. Gold Coast. You silly fat bastards.

To think, I was barracking for them in last year's finals. This year, I hope you lose on the back of a has been.

Reply #186368 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Blaze are probably my least favourite team in the league and this certainly hasn't improved that standing!

Reply #186373 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

What a terrible signing. I'm going to have to hate this Queensland team now, they dropped down to a new low.

Reply #186375 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Brendon finally gets to coach his adulthood idol.

In fairness though, as a PLAYER (not a coach), Heal was still pretty damned servicable last season. If he keeps his head down, accepts his role and works hard, he could easily play a couple of useful seasons at GC.

Reply #186378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How long has he signed for?

Reply #186379 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

i am a blazefan and i think its a great signing! To all you knockers of the blaze , they will finish top four! The defensive spread of heal and harvery will actually assist with the inside bigs who are affective when in the post, is really going to be a nightmare for teams. Great move by the blaze. Joyce will certanily control Shane and its a good influence for joyce jnr.

Reply #186398 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Drb, You may be right in everything you say.

But it still won't stop the Blaze being the butt (Pero) of all the jokes this season.

Reply #186409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DICKO ...
IF "he keeps his head down, accepts his role and works hard"? You do realise this is Shane Heal we're talking about??

Reply #186436 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I do realise it's Shane Heal BUT, as a player last season, he was less selfish than in the past, looked to involve his team mates and was still able to score pretty effectively when required. 16ppg (at 41% from 3 point range) and 4 assists is pretty handy in only 30 minutes per game.

The number of times last season when I thought "Here we go, Hammers going to throw up a sutpid three" and he didn't, were quite common. If he doesn't NEED to be THE man on the team, he will contribute solidly, IMHO.

He's also playing for a coach who is a long time friend and I dare say he's probably learned his lesson about playing politics within a basketball club.

He's also a personality that will help the Blaze build on their budding image.

I, personally, think he's a good fit.

Reply #186447 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Agreed Dicko. I also have had reservations obout this signing - and the idea of actually cheering for Heal will be quite a bizarre feeling after all these years. I think having Joyce as his coach will mean Heals attitude will have to be right. #1 Joyce and Heal are good friends so Shane wont want to do the wrong thing, and #2 Heal cant afford to try and destabilise Joyce ala Price due to the standing of Joyce in the BBall world over the last 20 odd years.

Hopefully he can stay fit all year and provide solid leadership to the group on court and contribute off court as the marquee name the Blaze need to further fire up support and ticket sales.

Reply #186457 | Report this post

Blazefan  
Years ago

Hey I-man (#186373), you hate the Blaze more than the Kings or Tigers????? It's normally not like you to openly admit such a hatred but then again I suppose I'd hate a team that beat my team in all three games last season!!!(smiley emoticon here)

Anyway back on topic and like S-man said it's going to be funny cheering a guy I've despised for more than 15 years. I reckon though it's only going to take say one quarter into the first game with a couple of 3's and I think it'll be sorted.

I've said before (#176653) Heal has always had my respect as a quality player. Even though he's probably past his best years, he won't need massive numbers offensively. Being able to take a bit of heat off Harvey and defend a little better than Crowe will offset any drop in his scoring.

Another factor that I'll throw into the discussion mix to support this all working is the fact that he's lived on the GC for several years now (apart from his Dragons stint) and has been/is involved with local basketball competetions as a coach/parent. He's said that the Blaze will be his last NBL Club and he'll probably remain here in retirement.

This all means he'll be dealing face to face with fans and grass root GC basketball people on a regular basis, away from game nights and Club publicity events. He's not going to get better feedback on his performances than in this environment. Also his motivation to perfom well will have to be as high as it's ever been in his career.

The more I think about it, the more I feel this is going to work well. While top 4 is a little high IMO, I think we can avoid the second year blues and once again make the eight.

Go Blaze!!!

Reply #186488 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"defend a little better than Crowe"

See.....you just lost me there.

Reply #186490 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not a big fan of Joyce, Heal, think Harvey is a gun for hire, don't like Macgregor or Melmeth much and that's more than bothers me about other clubs!

Reply #186498 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Hey I-man ............. I previously thought the same thing about Harvey, however having had the opportunity to talk to him at games - and a couple of times away from the bball environment I have changed my tune some what. While Im sure he still is keen to be paid what he considers he is worth I feel he has elevated himself to being more than just a player and has certainly been forthcoming with his time off the court as one of the clubs leaders.

Reply #186502 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

i believe the blaze will make the top 4 this year, all joyce teams are well drilled, with shane heals leadership on the court and dicko he does have better d than crowe, i really can see them making the top four and from there anything can happen in the finals especially if teams have a home final

Reply #186539 | Report this post

shyla heal  
Years ago

Reply #203029 | Report this post

shyla heal  
Years ago

hi dad i miss you so much happy fathers day
did you win

Reply #203030 | Report this post

shyla heal  
Years ago

heyy dadd LOVE YAAAAAAAAAAAA

Reply #296757 | Report this post

shyla heal  
Years ago

heyy dadd LOVE YAAAAAAAAAAAA

Reply #296758 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:04 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754